Shopping In The Usa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycle

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm going the the Seattle for work in a week or so and was wanting some recommendations as to what I should be buying while I'm there. I have a friend over there who can be my post box and I'll just pick the stuff up from him and bring it back in my luggage.

I am wanting to get 1 or 2 taps and associated shanks, nipples, knobs and other rude bits. It seems that the Ventmatic taps are out of stock everywhere so I'm looking at Perlick taps unless anyone has suggestions otherwise. So far Superior Products (superprod.com) seems to be the best bet for what I need but I'd like anyone's opinions/experience with them or others and what sort of things are really cheaper over there. So far I have 4 kegs and 1 set of QDs but nothing else - so please recommend what you'd buy if you were setting up a keg system.

Also, what's the deal with bringing back bottled beer? Is there a quantity limit like spirits or does it depend on the alc level?

Thanks
Mycle.

Hi mate.

Get some more QD's for a start, they are way cheaper than here. We get skinned on those. For simplicity you could get stuff through www.morebeer.com, browse their site for other brewing goodies-at least just for ideas on what you might want. I doubt morebeer is the cheapest you'll find but it is a good concentration of stuff. Plus free shipping on orders (conditions apply). Another place is www.northernbrewer.com

Depends really on what level of brewing you are at-kit, partials or AG? A nice convoluted counter flow from morebeer would be a nice toy to buy and save yourself $40 postage on getting it here in Aus.

As for bottled beer I think you can bring quite a bit back. Joecast from this forum recently came back from the states with a great selection of beers for a group of us to taste down here in Tassie (eg. Arogant *******, Pelican IPA, man heaps of them that I don't remember-simply the best beer tasting I've been to anyway-Thanks again Joe! :D). I'm sure if you sent him a PM he'd give you an idea on what you can get away with.

FWIW I 'm moving to the state in a few months. Going to have to start looking at things I want to buy over there and ship back to my parents place for my return. :D

Cheers and have fun. Justin

On a little bit unrelated to brewery bits and pieces but if your in seatle in june this is a obsolute must if your into metal :super:

OZZFEST 2006 :D
June 29 Seattle, WA White River Amphitheatre :beer:

Alcohol fueled brewtality
Jayse

Mycle,

If you're into the outdoors when you're not brewing, checkout REI. They are a massive retailer (online as well at www.rei.com) of just about everything you can think of concerning hiking/camping/canoeing etc. They beat paddy pallins etc hands down. They work a bit like a coop in that you get a rebate on what you spend over a year (or something like that)

I bought some gear there over 10 years ago & it is still going strong.

Enjoy it, I reckon Seattle is one of the best places in the US.

Crozdog

Thanks guys. Does anyone know what seppos call Pluto Guns? Do they have them at all?

Also, would a us regulator work here?

thanks
Mycle.

G'day Mycle,

When I was in the states the plutos were just called "beer guns", as far as beer quantities don't quote me, but we got through customes on both sides (going there and coming back) with 24 bottles without a drama... Australian customs will have it on their website, if you bring back too much I'm pretty sure you only have to pay an excise, but the customs people would have to be having a sh!t of a day to get you as long as your not carrying like.. half a pallet...

Not too sure about carrying on with hand luggage either, we were post 9/11 and security was pretty tight, but I think they've tightened the screws a little more and a smashed glass bottle may be considered a weapon.. You can check that with the airline you are flying with, they usually really helpful.

Good Luck

Hey Mycle,

Are you going to Boeing or Microsoft ? :p

When I was last there I went to the HomeBrew Heaven brewshop which is a bit out of Seattle and Bellevue (if you are going to MS at Redmond). Website here

I'd be getting a gas manifold (with check valves) from Morebeer.
If you are going or contemplating AG, I'd get a CFWC plus a load of silicon tubing also from Morebeer.

There are also some great bars and breweries in Seattle. The Pyramid brewery is downtown and do a lot of wheat beers. The Redhook brewery (a bit out of town and the tour isn't really worth the trip) has some great beers. Check out Ratebeer.com and BeerAdvocate.com for up to date city beer guides.

Have a good trip.

Beers,
Doc

2.25 litres of alcoholic beverages for each passenger aged 18 and over.
independent of alc% etc.

I work as a winemaker and have been overseas a few times bringing back 'samples'. I always declare them, they xray your baggage and know it is in there anyway.

First time I had to pay duty, now I bring a letter from my employer to say they are tasting samples, I don't go silly with quantity, mainly due to the weight but also I am not 100% of the strength of a 'letter'.

best bet is to ring and ask.

fairies wear boots.

K

Mycle
A good place to get some information on where to buy stuff might be to go to the northernbrewers forum (a us forum) and ask there.Theres sure to be some HBs around Seattle that will point you to the best prices and products. As for the beer you should have no real problem in bringing back about 24 stubbies. The problem will be the weight . The airlines can sometimes slug you for carrying to much weight. Also be sure to pack the bottles well beware the dreaded baggage handler!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip and sample everything :chug:
:beer:

kirem said:
fairies wear boots.

K
[post="122733"][/post]​

Well all right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I went to the doctor
See what he could give me
He said son, son youve gone too far.
cause smokin and trippin is all that you do.

nice work kirem
Jayse

geez this threads taken some turns (go sabbath!!)

anyway, sent mycle the link to the customs site. most of the info has been covered here though. good job guys!

basically, no need to declare alcohol.
2.25L/person (over 4L gets pretty heavy!)
pack well, and try to keep in carry-on for piece of mind.
maybe i've been lucky, but i've never dealt with an a**hole customs worker. tell them you've got beer if they ask. they probably already know anyway, and its not illegal. if you're over the volume limit, pay the duty, no big deal, the beer will be worth it.

if taking any beer to the US, the limit is one litre and you must be 21. check the US customs page, or ntsb might have some info too, cant remember.

oh, one more thing. weight. some domestic carriers (jet star) can be pretty anal about carry-on weight and size. virgin seems to be more lenient and qantas have been ok. good luck
joe

Doc said:
Hey Mycle,

Are you going to Boeing or Microsoft ? :p

MS. I'm spending a week being borged.

Doc said:
When I was last there I went to the HomeBrew Heaven brewshop which is a bit out of Seattle and Bellevue (if you are going to MS at Redmond). Website here

I'd be getting a gas manifold (with check valves) from Morebeer.
If you are going or contemplating AG, I'd get a CFWC plus a load of silicon tubing also from Morebeer.

There are also some great bars and breweries in Seattle. The Pyramid brewery is downtown and do a lot of wheat beers. The Redhook brewery (a bit out of town and the tour isn't really worth the trip) has some great beers. Check out Ratebeer.com and BeerAdvocate.com for up to date city beer guides.

Have a good trip.

Beers,
Doc
[post="122732"][/post]​
Thanks for that. Last time I went there I went to Hale's Ales Brewery Pub and it was awesome - they had hand pumped english style ales and about a dozen other varieties on tap. When you walk in you're hit with the aroma of hops - I didn't want to leave but I had a plane to catch.

I'm contemplating AG at for my next brew but thought I'd risk death and just use the no chiller method :D but still, might be worth a look.

thanks all for your suggestions. I'll report back on any findings (if I can remember them - last time I was in LA I found a lovely place with SNPA on tap and lost a few hours somewhere :chug: ).

Cheers,
Mycle.

Bugger, just ordered a gas manifold.. seeing your in wollongong I could have saved on postage and just paid with some brew! :D

Oh well, have a good trip..

mycle, I was in Seattle last year. Didn't have time to check out brewshops but did Pikes Brewery and Elysian Brewery. Both excellent breweries.

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/3_pike_brewing/

http://www.elysianbrewing.com/

I wanted to get to Big Time Brewery as well but ran out of time.

http://www.bigtimebrewery.com/

I carried back some beer in my carry-on luggage as well. Just declared it in Sydney and they said no worries.

In Seattle go straight to Bottleworks for your beers. Awesome!

http://www.bottleworks.com/

Good luck, I really loved Seattle.

C&B
TDA

Latest posts

Back