Sheaf Stout Is The Best Value Aussie Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheaf's a fine drop. Years ago before I knew I only liked good beer...Sheaf was the only thing I could drink in NSW.
Cheers,
Jake

It's a very good drop.
And, as far as I know, the long necks are a full 800 mil, not your standard 750 mil.

Completely :icon_offtopic: but if I had to pick my all-time fave stout this would be it.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Would certainly be in my top 3 beers full stop. :icon_drool2:

Special mention to Southwark Old Stout. I think it deserves more lip service.

Warren -

Right, where do you get this invalid stout from? I've only had sheaf & southwark a few times (and loved them always).

Right, where do you get this invalid stout from? I've only had sheaf & southwark a few times (and loved them always).

You need a moustache and poncho amigo.

I have only seen invalid down in Melb, and when I tried it, I had a niggling suspicion that it and sheaf are the same brew, though I haven't had then within an month of each other to qualify this.

I rate Sheaf as ripping value for money. I find that there is something unwholsome about drinking a few, something I do not get drinking properly made beers. This maybe lactose or some other ingredient I am unused to. Given the choice, I prefer Southwark and Coopers BES (what happened to that Vintage Stout?).

do they still sell hammer and tongs? jks.. ;)
sheaf kicks ass!

KoNG, Swan Stout is re badged Southwark Stout which goes down pretty well.

i picked up some invalid stout while over east but still haven't tried it.

I'd put Sheaf towards the bottom rung of the list of Aussie stouts. Not bad, but not up there with others.

Coopers (do they still make Vintage stout?) and Southwark are probably up the top there as far as large scale brews go.
Southwark in longies use to be great value for money (around $4 a longie). Not sure how much they are these days, but would definately be willing to drink it again.

Technically Guinness Extra stout is brew under license down here, that's quite enjoyable. I recall getting cans (out of date) of this for $2 each from my local pub one night...wound up buying them out of the stuff.

Muggus, Coopers Vintage Stout is just their BES relabelled and aged at 20C for 12 months in the bottle.

Southwark Stout is no longer available in long necks, only stubbies. I reckon its value for money @ between $14.99 and $16.99 a 6 pack for a 7.4% brew too.

C&B
TDA

Muggus, Coopers Vintage Stout is just their BES relabelled and aged at 20C for 12 months in the bottle.

They did used to have an extra strong branded vintage, just like the Extra Strong Vintage Ale.... I'm sure I've had it. Higher Alc content than Best Extra...

...hmmmmm

I'm not imagining this am I ? I just hit 'teh googles' and I can find no reference to this, only the extra strong ale.

(too many HB's? Memory Going on me?)

Sheaf sounds good, will have to source it. Swan Stout was another good one, until they decided to stop making it!

Had a Guinness last night, and it again reinforced that the brewed under license aussie version is total crap. Doesnt have the characteristic Guinness taste I became used to in the UK and Ireland. I'm even starting to think they use pride of ringwood in it. I honestly felt a bit rough in the stomach afterwards.

They did used to have an extra strong branded vintage, just like the Extra Strong Vintage Ale.... I'm sure I've had it. Higher Alc content than Best Extra...

...hmmmmm

I'm not imagining this am I ? I just hit 'teh googles' and I can find no reference to this, only the extra strong ale.

(too many HB's? Memory Going on me?)

It was called Special Old Stout, and it was maybe .5% stronger I think.

The Best Extra used to be 6.8% back when I was footloose and fancy free :icon_chickcheers: but was toned down some years ago to 6.3%.

C&B
TDA

Edit; facts

Swan stout is still made in SA as Southwark stout, but not rebadged and frieghted over here

Another nice Aus. stout worth a mention is Cascade's Special Stout. To me it tasted a little lagerish but a lovely smooth drop all the same. :beerbang:

Warren -

Another nice Aus. stout worth a mention is Cascade's Special Stout. To me it tasted a little lagerish but a lovely smooth drop all the same. :beerbang:

Warren -

+1 solid stout.. I like the old macros that keep their stouts - if only most of them kept their sparkling ales too.

if only most of them kept their sparkling ales too.

Foles that is a fair call indeed. I've got a book The Amber Nectar that has a lot of old Australian beer labels. You'll be amazed at how many breweries of yesteryear had a Sparkling Ale in their portfolio. Would have been great to know what they were like.

Edit: This old pic is probably a little non PC these days but you've still got to love those old brewery ads. :rolleyes:

Warren -

img057.jpg

Southwark Stout is no longer available in long necks, only stubbies. I reckon its value for money @ between $14.99 and $16.99 a 6 pack for a 7.4% brew too.

C&B
TDA
Thanks for that info TDA.
Probably the reason why I couldn't find Southwark stout last time I went shopping, considering I was looking for long necks.

Yeah, I tried the Sheaf Stout when I last wandered over the border to Tarthra (incidentally, there are a few good beers to be had from the bottlo there). It struck me to be VERY similar to the Abbotsford Invalid Stout we can get down here in Melbourne.

Both nice and mild and chocolatey, and yes, good value - particularly when megaswill's your only option.

Is there any possibility they are the same beer?

Yeah, I tried the Sheaf Stout when I last wandered over the border to Tarthra (incidentally, there are a few good beers to be had from the bottlo there). It struck me to be VERY similar to the Abbotsford Invalid Stout we can get down here in Melbourne.

Both nice and mild and chocolatey, and yes, good value - particularly when megaswill's your only option.

Is there any possibility they are the same beer?

Never had the Sheaf Stout, but Im another Vic. The Abbotsford stout is a very reasonable drop and a good price at $4.50 a stubbie in my local. Im very thankful for it. Although, $ for $ I would have the Coopers stout and even the bottled Guinness ahead of it.
Will have to try this Sheaf next time Im up in Sydney

Personally I think Toohey's old is the best $ for $ brew going. It's still very ordinary, but IMO far in front of the other beers at that price point.

Back