Sheaf Stout Is The Best Value Aussie Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barra, were you not once a new south welshman...?
Mantis, you are excused, being alien and all

i did live there for 5 years or so kong but would never call myself a NSW'man, im a victorian to the bone

ive seen it just never tried it ...

Southwark, a Lion Nathan Product, seems no longer available, certainly in ACT/NSW.
Pity, it did take the cake though it was rare as hens teeth over here.
Sheaf is pretty close behind it though. About 4 years ago a group of six judges compared a variety of Stouts, Irish and Australian, the Australian were Cascade, Sheaf, Coopers and another (Carbine perhaps, Southwark was not to be found). These judges were sitting for the BJCP, five of them sat and it resulted in 2 x Recognised, 2 x Certified and 1 x National so I think it is a fair indicator!!
Sheaf took home the silver, by quite a margin actually.

K

It was called Special Old Stout, and it was maybe .5% stronger I think.

The Best Extra used to be 6.8% back when I was footloose and fancy free :icon_chickcheers: but was toned down some years ago to 6.3%.

I knew it! I once asked the Mrs to pick some up at the bottlo and the usual type you get at LL said "you mean Coopers Stout, there's only one"...

Bastards convinced me I imagined it too.

I picked up some Sheaf on sale at LiquorLand today, prompted by this thread. Currently $13 for three tallies. Drinking one freezing-LL-fridge-cold is not doing it justice. Will let the second glass warm.

Personally Coopers BES is my current pick of Aussie stouts. Will soon see how the Iron Wolf Oatmeal Stout compares.

:icon_offtopic:

I brewed an Oatmeal today with a mate... made me damn 'ungry it did.
Mmmm TFMO + toasted oats...

god i'm out of the loop, who has TF-MO on offer nowadays....?

Southwark, a Lion Nathan Product, seems no longer available, certainly in ACT/NSW.
Pity, it did take the cake though it was rare as hens teeth over here.

It's still available in sunny VIC, I picked up a 6-pack of it last week. Delicious.

It's still available in sunny VIC, I picked up a 6-pack of it last week. Delicious.

Only in stubbies now. They are no longer putting it in kegs and even discontinued the long necks last winter. I don't think it has much time left.

god i'm out of the loop, who has TF-MO on offer nowadays....?

Roy at TWOC.

When I asked Neville at Gryphon previously he couldnt get it, but it is the same supplier so I asume that now he could.

We now return you to your stout discussions. Cant contribute to that, I only drink my own.

Cheers GL. My bairds sack is near done, so i'll give the TF another go next.

Oz does make some top stouts; my top 3 would be Southwark, Coopers and Invalid (Guinness Extra Stout in the bottle not far behind). It's been well over 10 years since I've had Sheaf but I remember it being very similar to Invalid.

Cheers, Andrew.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

Noticed the Sheaf Stout at a small local drive through as I was passing through to pick up some beer with a mate. I asked the bottleshop owner about it and for a VB loving drinker he couldn't speak highly enough of it. I priced him and he has it for $51. He is dearer than other bottle shops around here but still I thought that was decent value for a mass produced stout with 5.7% (i think). He said he has to get it imported from VIC and has been told its been discontinued. This may not be news to alot of you, just thought I would reply to the thread as it's the first i've heard about it.

Am going to pick up a carton sometime soon!

Still get Sheaf up here..

Bloody loverly stout. I hate having to pick between Coopers and Sheaf... its not fair :(

Had southwark old stout at footy park in Adelaide when the knobs stopped having full strength beer on tap. :angry: F*ck it was good shit had about half dozen of them and got nice and happy on a freezing cold night and port adelaide sucking. :D

Coopers stout i havent had that in awhile and yet to try sheaf stout should do. :

I remember as a wee lad, the first dark beer past my lips was a Sheaf.

First in both directions.

I can still order Sheaf for my bottlo here on the Sunshine Coast.

We had a new rep take over and he was adamant that they didn't sell it. Finally made him realise his mistake, much to the relief of our regulars.

Bought a sixpack of this last week after a craving for stout. Almost went for the Coopers but did the cheapskate option. A sixpack of this was around $14
Gotta say it's just delicious.

If anyone knows where you can get Southwark Stout in sydney, please post.

Still get Sheaf up here..

Bloody loverly stout. I hate having to pick between Coopers and Sheaf... its not fair :(

Just having a Sheaf Stout right now. Like I mentioned earlier on they have stopped production. What is interesting is I randomly saw on the box what I believe is the manufacturing date. June 2007 on the box this one is out of.

Does anyone know when they stopped brewing this beer?

Well... that is wierd...

Still getting it in stub and longnecks as we speak...

Its $1 cheaper than Coopers at $18... but I dont give a shit... its a great stout.....

But I do love my Cooper as well

Sometimes choice really sucks :rolleyes:

Back