Sheaf Stout Is The Best Value Aussie Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Is it the best beer Australia produces, $ for $?

I am still blown away every time I have one of these, that it is brewed by the 'F' word.
Just goes to show, they know HOW to brew amazing beer, they just choose not to.
I love Coopers stout, but it's a bit more oily or something.

You lucky bast&rd living in Mexico. Whenever I'm down your way I glut myself on Sheaf. The sister in law (a little old Chinese Lady) whenever she comes up for a visit she politely asks in advance "is there anything I can bring up for you?" :lol: you guessed it. She is almost bowed to her knees under the weight as she gets off the plane :beerbang:

Despite the F word I also reckon it must be the best drop produced by the megas in Australia. Thirsty boy please please say that it will always be so.

Had one of these tonight, and I couldn't agree more. Fantastic, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Dr Smurto gave me one of these...

goes to show that I can't really appreciate stouts that much...

never tried it , might see if i can find some tomorrow night ...

Well I'll dress in something wooly and I'll go baah

I have never heard of this sheaf stout :ph34r:

:lol: TD i was wondering if you would see this thread.
I was thinking of one tonioght for a faux ye Padd's day too....
Much to my dismay i forgot i lived in Perth now and i'm guessing its not available too many places, here..!!!

grabbed a Coops best extra and a Guiness extra instead [sat here drinking them at work now] :0

Agreeeeed, sheaf is killer, from one of the 'big' boys

Never had sheaf... but I've have Southwark stout... that stuff is meaty and delightful.

It's a braw drop. And do they still have Invalid Stout down there in Mexico?

I guess it's a NSW only brew in the same way that in Queensland only we have Carbine Stout and XXXX draught red label, Gulf Lager etc.
Reschs Draught isn't a bad drop either, I always drink that in megabrew pubs when I'm in NSW.

Pity that Sheaf isn't available nationwide, I'm sure they could sell heaps but it's probably a limited run brew when they aren't making megaswill and no capability of expanding production.

Southwark make a good beer , WoW
Southwark lager or whatever it was way back then, on tap, in SA is without a doubt the worst beer I have tasted. :icon_vomit:

Southwark Old Stout seems to win hands-down on Ratebeer. 91st percentile (3.63/5) vs. 59th percentile (3.17), both in the Foreign Stout category.

EDIT: Beef... Engine oil ain't Aussie brewed!

I guess it's a NSW only brew in the same way that in Queensland only we have Carbine Stout and XXXX draught red label, Gulf Lager etc.
Reschs Draught isn't a bad drop either, I always drink that in megabrew pubs when I'm in NSW.

Pity that Sheaf isn't available nationwide, I'm sure they could sell heaps but it's probably a limited run brew when they aren't making megaswill and no capability of expanding production.

I had carbine stout after the xxxx brewery tour the last time i was in brisbane. Its pretty good. If you're saying sheaf is better, I need to get myself a bottle.

I'd put Sheaf towards the bottom rung of the list of Aussie stouts. Not bad, but not up there with others.

Coopers (do they still make Vintage stout?) and Southwark are probably up the top there as far as large scale brews go.
Southwark in longies use to be great value for money (around $4 a longie). Not sure how much they are these days, but would definately be willing to drink it again.

Technically Guinness Extra stout is brew under license down here, that's quite enjoyable. I recall getting cans (out of date) of this for $2 each from my local pub one night...wound up buying them out of the stuff.

sheaf.JPG

Latest posts

Back