Scientists Have Discovered Booze That Won't Give You A Hangover

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Zizzle, that sure beats a good session on Night Train or Steel Reserve and sleeping it off in a dumpster :icon_drunk:

Edit: I was scheduled to come to NY last year for the trip but couldn't come - just as well :p :p

The scientific approach:

Search in reported article for word "hangover": matches found, one.

"The oxygen-enriched alcohol beverage might sober faster and reduce hangover and miserable effects of acetaldehyde including headache."

No tests, no statistics from test subject opinions, no acetaldehyde plasma concentration vs time assays, just one in-passing comment in the conclusion.

The media approach:

"Scientists Have Discovered Booze That Won't Give You A Hangover"

... <_<

Totally related and painfully truthful:

phd051809s.gif

So if you stick a sparkler on and don't pour against the bottom to the glass you won't get a hangover...

Must mention this at the next IBU RAF...

With all the milds, ordinary bitters, shepards pie and trifle it's hard to get an hangover any way

Well it's off to the "Next Raf ... To Infinity And Beyond ... "

F*** that sh*t, it doesn't take any idiot to realise that a hangover is caused in most instances by dehydration and methanol poisoning.

In short, switch to water an hour before you leave the pub and drink only top quality beer. Generally the best for methanol content (ie lowest content) is self-brewed beer...ie homebrew.

Get 'em intaya, boyz.

- boingk

boingk,

hangover is caused by acetaldehyde toxicity by saturating alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes with ethanol. methanol poisoning is near impossible due to the relative concentration of methanol in ethanolic beverages considering they are competative substrates for ADH enzymes. In short, you'd die of ethanol poisoning way before you'd even feel ill from any methanol poisoning.

In fact, it wasn't too long ago that the emergency treatment in hospitals for methanol and antifreeze poisoning (ethylene glycol, another ADH substrate) was actually to give them ethanol, so their ADH chewed on ethanol instead of the more toxic substitutents.

i do agree though, water helps, and dehydration can make you feel pretty crappy. but again most beer is like 95% water and ethanol doesnt dehydrate you *that much* to negate the water that you're consuming at the same time.

Yeah I was under the impression it was dehydration and vitamin B deficiency. I have a bunch of vegemite and scull a heap of water if I get home pissed. Then I wake up as if nothing ever happened :p

I thought it wasn't that ethanol dehydrates you directly (like absorbing water or something) but it makes your organs function less efficiently, leading one to piss out a lot of water they normally wouldnt.

Latest posts

Back