Secret to the 'perfect beer' discovered

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
This news story is a bit over the top...

Perth researchers unlock secret to the 'perfect beer'

ABC News

by Gian De Poloni

Researchers in Perth claim they have discovered the secret to making perfect beer and say it has a lot to do with looks.

A team of researchers from Murdoch University said it had found an optimum method to remove two particular proteins from Australian barley during cultivation.

Researchers said it meant barley would not cause cloud and sediment in beer, and added it would make the golden liquid taste better.

Murdoch Professor Chengdao Li, who led the research team, said it meant beer would be up to 40 per cent less likely to appear hazy or cloudy.

"Beer drinkers nowadays care more and more about beer qualities," he said.

"Not only do they need to taste good, they also need to look good.

"When beer has the haze formation, it looks like something's been dropped in your beer.

"Immediately, the beer drinkers are thinking 'oh no, this is not good beer'."

Professor Li said haze impacted on beer's shelf life, and that was bad news for brewers.

"There is an industry process to remove the proteins, but this resulted in additional costs for the brewers and it also reduced some other flavour proteins in the beer," he said.

Increasing Australian barley exports

The research findings follow the signing of Australia's free trade agreement with China last month.

Professor Li said their discovery was timely.

"Australia accounts for 70 per cent of China's market for imported malted barleys," he said.

"So certainly it's going to have a significant impact to China's market for beer quality.

"Our findings will significantly enhance the competitiveness of Australian barley in the international market. It will make beer makers prefer to use Australian barley."

Professor Li also had a message for beer drinkers worried about taste.

"The industry won't have to use the traditional way of removing these proteins through certain treatments," he said.

"It means the beer can provide the full flavours."

The research was a collaborative project involving Murdoch University, the Grains Research and Development Corporation and the WA Department of Agriculture and Food.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-25/perth-researchers-claim-to-have-discovered-the-perfect-beer/6647578

there isn't a grain of truth to the story, background information on the professor is hazy at best ... Boom tish

Hmm. If I was served a wit beer that wasn't cloudy, I'd send it back.

Couldn't care what it looked like, as long as it tasted good.

panzerd18 said:
Couldn't care what it looked like, as long as it tasted good.
Part of what beer tastes like is defined by how it looks.

welly2 said:
Part of what beer tastes like is defined by how it looks.
Says who? That's their definition not mine. If that's the case a blind person couldn't taste the same as someone with vision.

It's a silly article but perfectly believable that brewing scientists have been working on eliminating haze and producing bright beer.

manticle said:
It's a silly article but perfectly believable that brewing scientists have been working on eliminating haze and producing bright beer.
Wow, somebody saw the forest.

I cant even consider reading such a thing but will blurt anyway as a consumer.
The perfect beer is the one you want to drink next, at the time, depending on your preferences given a nice various selection. :chug:

i always hold the first glass of a new brew to the light, to check haziness and carbonation. i also like to see how much of my fingerprint i can see through the glass. generally, i can't see a bloody thing through the haze. carbonation is modest, but that is normal for a beer that only got bottled yesterday. i can barely make out my fingers through the glass, much less my fingerprints. however, my beers always taste like something from a wonderland village, where all is pure, delightful and nurtured through the non capitalist pursuit of giving it the homely artisan treatment. bollocks to clear beer, geomodified protein stripped stuff only fit for muppets that need to see through beer. what next, xray glasses so you can see through ladies' clothing?? disgusting. ........ or on the other hand

Haha, and the philososhical doorways that are opened in Artisanological phlosofy etc. Good beer home made etc.. :chug:

Genetically modified beer.. Fark that! The Chinese can have it.

Just as well the article says nothing about GM methods then. Barley is and has been modified for a really long time. However the narrow definition of GM does not apply to practices with barley crops as far as I am aware - at least not in countries from where we usually buy ours (UK, US, Ger, AU, Belg. etc).

The particular haze causing proteins mentioned in the article affect beer stability/freshness and therefore flavour as well as looks.

Back