Sanitiser Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hootsmon

Reaction score
Noob question. When you use the no rinse brew sanitise for your gear and bottles etc. Why doesn't it kill the yeast when it comes into contact with it. On the label it says it is Hydrogen Peroxide which is bad for the yeast. Always wondered.

Hootsmon said:
Noob question. When you use the no rinse brew sanitise for your gear and bottles etc. Why doesn't it kill the yeast when it comes into contact with it. On the label it says it is Hydrogen Peroxide which is bad for the yeast. Always wondered.
because you water it down with 20+L of wort before the yeast is added?

Peroxide breaks down very quickly. Its is highly reactive which is what makes it a great contact sanitiser and breaks down into water and hydrogen.

It turns your fingers white if you get it on them :D

Was my goto no-rinse sanitiser, Much better than star-san

I only stopped using it because I couldnt buy the high concentration stuff anymore easly, only the piss ant stuff in the chemist or supermarket

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2 and when it breaks down, you get 2 H2O and O2, right?

So, in effect, when you add hydrogen peroxide, you'll eventually get water and oxygen. Now, entertain this idea...

Could you use hydrogen peroxide to oxygenate your wort during the yeast growth phase? For example, have it rigged to deliver one drop of peroxide into your starter every minute while it sits on the stir plate. How about straight into the fermenter during the first 12 hours?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Peroxide breaks down very quickly. Its is highly reactive which is what makes it a great contact sanitiser and breaks down into water and hydrogen.

It turns your fingers white if you get it on them :D

Was my goto no-rinse sanitiser, Much better than star-san

I only stopped using it because I couldnt buy the high concentration stuff anymore easly, only the piss ant stuff in the chemist or supermarket
Stu
Try a good swimming pool shop, they used to sell 4L strong H2O2, there are also a bunch on eBay.
Another big fan of peroxide, the Brew Shield type products sold in HBS's are stabilised (mostly with Sodium Thiosulphate) and contain some Silver Ions (I think as the nitrate), at the recommended dilution you get what they call a syngeneic effect, the stabiliser stops stabilising, and the Ag causes a very rapid disassociation into the active form (about as powerful an oxidiser as you will find) but it is consumed pretty quickly, so it stops being dangerous to your yeast in pretty a short time.

If you want some idea of how rapid the reaction between Peroxide and Silver can be, remember Jet Backpacks
so don't stir it with a silver spoon OK.
Mark

Hydrogen peroxide is a much more active oxidizing agent than dissolved free oxygen. As such it should react immediately with organic matter in wort. Pour in wort; hydrogen peroxide is gone. In the very small quantities left behind by a dilute solution after draining, there should be no discernible effect on beer quality. Leave a lot behind, and there might be an effect.

No, it won't work for oxygenating the wort, because there won't be any left behind for the yeast to use.

MHB said:
Try a good swimming pool shop, they used to sell 4L strong H2O2, there are also a bunch on eBay.
Dont know how you would get it off evilbay, the strong peroxide I used to use requires vented caps, so not suitable for posting

Well they advertise it on eBay and quote freight, it might not be as strong as you were getting but would be more than strong enough for the job.
Shipping Hazardous Goods can be a pain, even getting 25L of Iodophor shipped can be fun. but there are ways and I suspect the vendor will have explored them, or like I said go to a pool shop is there is one in a reasonable distance.

Its great stuff, but the strong versions can be really dangerous, if you are thinking of getting any, be careful! and for Gods sake don't get it in your eyes...
The lost American two up is right about how reactive it is, for all of the reasons mentioned so far, it is the only product that I trust as a "NO Rinse" Sanitiser.
Mark

noob question: would hyrogen peroxide damage an SS fermenter? I just got a new one and want to put a beer on tonight, but dont have anything to sanitise it with and have no time to get to brew shop...

just googled this:
http://www.ozoneservices.com/articles/004.htm

I recall someone on here a few years ago saying you can get the high strength H2O2 from hairdressers (they dilute it down and use it to make up hair colourings).

I just get the ready-to-go stuff from BrewCraft called 'Brew Sanitize". Cheap enough (more so via eBay). Three capfuls to a litre of water.

Latest posts

Back