Bottle washing powder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livo

Reaction score
I recently used 1 full container (275 g) and 1/2 a container of Brigalow bottle washing powder to clean 300 or so glass bottles. It took 2 batches as it was getting pretty dirty halfway through. While the bottles weren't filthy, I was impressed with how well the product worked, and it even stripped the paper labels. I mixed the powder in with about 45 litres of hot water in a 60 litre garbage bin and while it worked best when hot, I found that it still performed quite well once cold. I just left each bin full of bottles to soak for 12 or more hours before rinsing in fresh water and I was really impressed.

The label on the container just says (Detergent) Alkaline Salts 97.5%. I'm wondering if anybody knows what the salts would be? It's only about $6.00 for the 275 g but I thought I might be able to get a similar cleaning product in bulk somewhere.

It's probably a blend of Sodium Metasillicate (a detergent and not the same as Metabisulphite which isn’t) and Sodium Carbonate (AKA Washing Soda) which is a pretty good cleaner. There could be some Sodium Percarbonate in it but I doubt it as its relatively expensive and they aren’t claiming to be a sanitiser.

There are better products on the market PBW being one of the best known. A lot of suppliers are having similar products made, including my local who sells BBW (what I use) made up by an industrial chemist who is a home brewer too.
Mark

Latest posts

Back