Sanitiser Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydrogen peroxide mixed into a paste with a little baking soda (2:1) also makes a first class teeth whitener. Just mind your moe or beard.

There's a product which Dan sells called pure wine. I'm pretty sure it's peroxide. It oxidizes sulphur dioxide allegedly resulting in less of a wine headache.

Vini2ton said:
There's a product which Dan sells called pure wine. I'm pretty sure it's peroxide. It oxidizes sulphur dioxide allegedly resulting in less of a wine headache.
Partly correct.

It oxidises the sulfur dioxide which results in a wine with less sulfur dioxide.

If you can pinpoint the single molecule in wine of the 1000s in there that causes a headache i invite you to write your findings up, get them peer reviewed and collect your nobel prize.

There was a review published recently about sulfites in wine and the evidence in relation to health in the Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.

Ethanol. If we could just get that stuff out of wine and beer the world would be a much sadder place.

Mozz said:
Ethanol. If we could just get that stuff out of wine and beer the world would be a much sadder place.
Its easier to get it out of the petrol :)

Danwood said:
Spectakoolaar !

Something deep inside me is making me want to buy some more peroxide.....somehow I dont think all of it will get used for brewing related activities :ph34r:

The Morgans sanitiser product is also hydrogen peroxide based.... but you use an order of magnitude more of it each time, compared with starsan...

As well as hydrogen peroxide, there is phosphoric acid another no rinse sanitiser.

I buy it from Dairy suppliers, it's around $200.00 for 20lt.

http://www.daviesway.com.au/all-products/eliminate.aspx?lv.crumb=73678

Go in with 4 other brewers and your 5 litres will give you 2,500 litres of sanitiser. Works out quite reasonable.

They sell this as well

http://www.daviesway.com.au/all-products/iophos.aspx?lv.crumb=73678

As I bought 20lt of Eliminate I don't see myself ever buying anything else.

Batz

Coles or Woolies, but it's only 3% stuff.

peroxide.jpg

Makes a great wound cleaner, I used to have ingrowing toenails and when they got infected, run some Peroxide into the infected area that would froth up, then apply Betadine.

You can also gargle it and swish around for peripheral gum disease and look like a rabid dog for a few minutes.

It will bleach hair but not white, it turns out like a ginger tom cat colour. I think the old time hairdressers used to mix it with something else.

Batz said:
As well as hydrogen peroxide, there is phosphoric acid another no rinse sanitiser.

I buy it from Dairy suppliers, it's around $200.00 for 20lt.

http://www.daviesway.com.au/all-products/eliminate.aspx?lv.crumb=73678

Go in with 4 other brewers and your 5 litres will give you 2,500 litres of sanitiser. Works out quite reasonable.

They sell this as well

http://www.daviesway.com.au/all-products/iophos.aspx?lv.crumb=73678

As I bought 20lt of Eliminate I don't see myself ever buying anything else.

Batz
The dairy stuff is not far removed from Star-San, they are both Phosphoric Acid acid

I remember a thread a while back when people where saying that the dairy phos wasnt as good as Star-San ( cause it didnt have Star-san on the label :) ).... Silly fools

Starsan is a blend of Phosphoric Acid, dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid and 10% mystery ingredient, probably the surfactant that gives the mighty foam.

Peroxide needs to be in acid environment to be really effective. I currently have Proxitane which is peroxide and peroxyacetic acid. Working strength around 1 to 1.5% and it is truly no rinse. Same stuff vege growers use when they "wash" lettuce and other produce for a no-wash product in the supermarket.

Comes in 25Ltrs at full strength and costs around $5/Ltr. I know I am off the beaten track but happy to share some of this with others around the NSW far south coast area (Narooma)

Wes

Bribie G said:
Starsan is a blend of Phosphoric Acid, dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid and 10% mystery ingredient, probably the surfactant that gives the mighty foam.
Eliminate had Glyeilic Acid, also used in skin products. Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid is believed to cause ingrown toe nails?? Don't know really? You ever used Starsan Bribie? :p :lol: :p

That IPhos is the bomb

Think about this for a second. Where they milk cows is ******* filthy. Cow shit everywhere. Dont for a minute think that a milking plant is a clean place

Everything is washed down with Iphos or phos. Iphos is more used on the teets and udders, straight phos for CIP and equipment wash down

If anyone wants a bulk buy I can go down to Norco and grab 20lts of each off the floor tomorrow :)

IOPHOS

Phosphoric acid 10-30%
Iodine 10%
Non-ionic surfactant
10-30%

Rinse milking machine with Iophos using 20ml/10L Cold water. Use a minimum of 7.5 litres per set of cups.

Eliminate

Phosphoric acid >60%
Glycolic acid 10-30%
Surfactant 10%

Bribie G said:
Coles or Woolies, but it's only 3% stuff.

attachicon.gif
peroxide.jpg

Makes a great wound cleaner, I used to have ingrowing toenails and when they got infected, run some Peroxide into the infected area that would froth up, then apply Betadine.

You can also gargle it and swish around for peripheral gum disease and look like a rabid dog for a few minutes.

It will bleach hair but not white, it turns out like a ginger tom cat colour. I think the old time hairdressers used to mix it with something else.
You can also put a few drops in your ears if sinuses are playing up....

Latest posts

Back