Sa Mid Year Case Swap 09

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goody....I won't be the shortest person there. :lol:

As long as no-one confuses the two of you :lol: There won't be much in it.

BYB

OK - I have my name down -

but want them to be bottle conditioned or filled with a coounter flow pressure filler.

:)

KHB borrowed my CPBF and by all accounts it worked very well :) . No excuse for any dribble method here ;)

BYB

Now that its an AG & K&K swap according to the article, does that mean the AGer's need to smile politely when turning down an offered sample of K&K and do the bottles need to be clearly marked AG or K&K to avoid any unfortunate mix ups or embarassing moments... ;)

Now that its an AG & K&K swap according to the article, does that mean the AGer's need to smile politely when turning down an offered sample of K&K and do the bottles need to be clearly marked AG or K&K to avoid any unfortunate mix ups or embarassing moments... ;)
Right, coz K&K is like frickin' kryptonite to AGers. Get over it. You're so convinced that anything short of AG isn't even worth sampling, just in case it dare offend your precious little mouth?

It's attitudes like that which will stop people getting together.

Right, coz K&K is like frickin' kryptonite to AGers. Get over it. You're so convinced that anything short of AG isn't even worth sampling, just in case it dare offend your precious little mouth?

Don't worry - some of my AGs have been pretty shocking...so when someone gets upset cause they have drunk a K&K we can give 'em a foul AG I have got stored up to really set em off!

I'm sure all the K&B swappers will bring an extra bottle or two for Wayne ;)

There really is no need to get shirty about this.

The swap was always AG only as we spend several hours making the wort rather than using a can opener.

Elitism, snobbery, perhaps.

That doesnt mean i wont be more than happy to sample kit beers and discuss them, i just dont want a whole case of them.

Good to see a kit swap and even more impressive to see a few AG brewers jumping in.

Its a chance for ALL brewers to get together and talk beer, drink beer etc. I suspect a few kit brewers will be lured to the dark side - we could organise a brew demo on the day so you can see how its done, particularly with a rudimentary setup like mine.

But as an AG brewer i DO understand that not everyone has the time or inclination to spend hours making beer when a few mins with a can opener produces a decent product.

Lets keep this thread all nice and friendly.

RDWHAHB

(Breaks out recorded message from the last case swap thread - and the one before that - and the one before that....... :rolleyes: )

Wrong, it's attitudes like this that stop AG brewers wanting to have K & K brewers around incessantly trying to convince us that theirs is just as good. And yes it does offend my precious mouth. That's my choice (and my view, so don't harpoon everyone for it). And if the so called 'AG attitude' stops a K & K brewer from coming along, having a beer & a chat and broadening their understanding of the brewing processes in general, so be it. Their loss, my day will be no poorer for it - I'll still have a blast :)
If this is going to turn into a great big AG vs Kit shit fight that will spoil the day with pathetic arguments & irrelevant comparisons between beers that aren't even on the same plane, count me out because I'm not interested. We have this stupid argument every year.
I'm not interested in swapping my AG beer for kit brews, because the kit brewer simply has not made the same amount of effort I have. End of story. The beer might be 'fine' or even 'good'. The same can be said for half the commercial mega-swill - that doesn't mean I want to drink it or talk about it. "Well.......I poked my tongue out this way while I turned the wheel on the can opener. And I poured it into the fermenter with my right hand as opposed to my left like I did last time. The beer will be completely different this time because of that" Whatever. <_< Your brewing method is a shortcut that takes the love out of the brewing process. Simple.
This is an AG swap event. If you guys want to do a kit swap as well, go for broke. But it will be a separate swap, pure and simple. This is one of the most entertaining & fun events of the year in general. How about being grateful you're even invited in the first place, instead of trying to rile things up?

I also think that all the other conditions that people are attempting to place on this re: I only want bottle conditioned/cp filled etc are unrealistic and silly. You get what you get, however the person chose to bottle/carbonate it. That's their choice. If you don't like it, tough shit, don't drink it.

For christ sake people, HTFU and remember that this is a swap where we share the fruits of our AG labours, not try and dictate what everyone else makes.

AG is better. My point of view. No apologies attached.

(Breaks out recorded message from the last case swap thread - and the one before that - and the one before that....... :rolleyes: )

Wrong, it's attitudes like this that stop AG brewers wanting to have K & K brewers around incessantly trying to convince us that theirs is just as good. And yes it does offend my precious mouth. That's my choice (and my view, so don't harpoon everyone for it). And if the so called 'AG attitude' stops a K & K brewer from coming along, having a beer & a chat and broadening their understanding of the brewing processes in general, so be it. Their loss, my day will be no poorer for it - I'll still have a blast :)
If this is going to turn into a great big AG vs Kit shit fight that will spoil the day with pathetic arguments & irrelevant comparisons between beers that aren't even on the same plane, count me out because I'm not interested. We have this stupid argument every year.
I'm not interested in swapping my AG beer for kit brews, because the kit brewer simply has not made the same amount of effort I have. End of story. The beer might be 'fine' or even 'good'. The same can be said for half the commercial mega-swill - that doesn't mean I want to drink it or talk about it. "Well.......I poked my tongue out this way while I turned the wheel on the can opener. And I poured it into the fermenter with my right hand as opposed to my left like I did last time. The beer will be completely different this time because of that" Whatever. <_< Your brewing method is a shortcut that takes the love out of the brewing process. Simple.
This is an AG swap event. If you guys want to do a kit swap as well, go for broke. But it will be a separate swap, pure and simple. This is one of the most entertaining & fun events of the year in general. How about being grateful you're even invited in the first place, instead of trying to rile things up?

I also think that all the other conditions that people are attempting to place on this re: I only want bottle conditioned/cp filled etc are unrealistic and silly. You get what you get, however the person chose to bottle/carbonate it. That's their choice. If you don't like it, tough shit, don't drink it.

For christ sake people, HTFU and remember that this is a swap where we share the fruits of our AG labours, not try and dictate what everyone else makes.

Somebody get this man a beer! (AG only plz)

ROTFLMAO..... I haven't laughed so hard in ages especially the part about my percious little mouth. Just to give you the heads up I was only joking, I was trawling for a bite but I wasn't expecting you to jump on the hook and bite down so hard. I've nothing against K&Ker's I was one once everyone has to start somewhere and K&K is the best place, and a lot of AGer's keep on coming back for more.

Looking forward to trying your all crystal malt brew..... make beer not war....Friends :D

I'll probably attend but not swap, date dependant of course!

C&B
TDA

if you had bothered to read the kits and bits thread you surely would have noticed that we are only intending to swap kit beers with ag,rs who are prepared to help us out with a bit of a swap with their kits beers.we were not intending to swap your precious AG beer, there is no one that i have seen that is trying to tell you that our kit beers are as good as your AG beer,for a retailer i find your remarks so bloody condescending , you didnt mind swapping my money for one of your temp controllers for my kits and bits beer a few weeks ago though, YES AG BEER IS GENERALLY A LOT BETTER THAN KITS but we are all in this hobby for the same reasons ,just that some of you have gone to the next step before us, we will eventually get there too ,just dont talk down to us while we are learning and wanting to explore the differences in our hobby
f

fergi

sorry, I do 20 litre batches...so that is only really 26ish bottles, 2 to taste and 24 to swap...

but if we get more swappers (the more the merrier I say) - it won't be too hard to scale from 20 litres to 23....(unless you aren't competent with beersmith :huh: )

You could always do a higher gravity & higher bodied batch, then water it down in the fermenter?

Nice long thread already - I like it.

It didnt last swap when we banished at least 1 kit brewer from joining in and i suspect with the numbers of AG brewers in SA that it will only get bigger, not smaller! (see pics from the last swap - it was a big 'un)

We have extended the olive branch to kit brewers to organise their own swap but join us for the day and enjoy the festivities. That way you still get to meet and greet fellow AHB members and talk beer.

If Wayne hosts he will no doubt fire up Brewboy so you can see AG beer made (and watch 10+ brewers all arguing discussing about the relative merits of various grains/hops etc)

If i host then my cheap setup will get a run.

There will be NO OTHER LIMITATIONS other than what is already on the wiki (AG, glass, longnecks).

Cheers
DrSmurto

if you had bothered to read the kits and bits thread you surely would have noticed that we are only intending to swap kit beers with ag,rs who are prepared to help us out with a bit of a swap with their kits beers.we were not intending to swap your precious AG beer, there is no one that i have seen that is trying to tell you that our kit beers are as good as your AG beer,for a retailer i find your remarks so bloody condescending , you didnt mind swapping my money for one of your temp controllers for my kits and bits beer a few weeks ago though, YES AG BEER IS GENERALLY A LOT BETTER THAN KITS but we are all in this hobby for the same reasons ,just that some of you have gone to the next step before us, we will eventually get there too ,just dont talk down to us while we are learning and wanting to explore the differences in our hobby
f

fergi

And I found QB's post inflammatory and annoying too. You've missed the point of what I was saying (in which I definitely wasn't trying to be condescending in the least. Kit brewing is a shortcut. It's a fact. OK..... The no love thing sounded a little bit condescending, but FFS I'm allowed to have fun too:) ). And I know you weren't wanting to swap kit for AG. Never said you did. In fact I wasn't talking to you at all. Not sure what relevance the temp controller purchase (not swap) has in this - am I not allowed to have an opinon on swap ettiquette just because you bought something from me? My opinions are not influenced by my business.

The fact is I was replying to the post from QB, and the attitude contained therein. You brew how you want to, just don't try and convert me, and I won't try and convert you. Happy to stand and have a chat with anyone at the swap, taste a K & K beer if I want to. But not to be drilled for hours on end by this petty difference. That's my point. In the past, this AG vs kit thing has caused stress, arguments, hard feelings etc. These have no place at a swap. QB's post exibited exactly the same attitude that almost started a fight at one of the swaps in the past. Although I'm not entirely sure how 'tongue in cheek' his comments were, that attitude also has no place at a swap. THAT was my point.

All said. All done :)

Yeah, I've no doubt what you've said has been said dozens of times. The problem is that this time it's missed the point and jumped to conclusions.

... K & K brewers around incessantly trying to convince us that theirs is just as good.
No-one said this. I don't think anyone even implied this. The challenge in the K&B swap thread was the reverse of this - can an AGer make a better K&B because of their improved skills.

No-one started a comparison. You've joined in on a non-existent argument. I wasn't even the one who suggested the non AGers come to the swap. I reckon it's a good idea for those who supposedly know about beer and brewing to try (a sip FFS) the K&B beers and let the brewer know what they think it might be lacking, and how they might improve it. That improvement will likely be AG, fine. I can't get my head around this idea that someone who hasn't mastered the cold side of beer (sanitising, temp control, etc) should suddenly make it so much harder for themselves without any feedback on the product they already make.

I'll repeat - no-one said anything about making a comparison between kits and AG.

I'm not interested in swapping my AG beer for kit brews, because the kit brewer simply has not made the same amount of effort I have. End of story.
No one's asking you to. No one ever did.

Your brewing method is a shortcut that takes the love out of the brewing process. Simple.
This from a man who recently said that he'd like a turnkey brewery.

This is an AG swap event. If you guys want to do a kit swap as well, go for broke. But it will be a separate swap, pure and simple.
See, now you've got it.

This is one of the most entertaining & fun events of the year in general. How about being grateful you're even invited in the first place, instead of trying to rile things up?
And I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. Have a look back through the posts. You're yelling at AGers here. The K&B folk haven't even shown up to this argument yet and already they're in the shithouse. The post that started this bit was (presumably) an AGer that got his facts wrong.

None required. No one is questioning that.

and DrSmurto - I didn't mean it would stop AGers getting together (if anything it's a common hatrid I see) but if every response on this forum to a non AGer was 'drop what you're doing, it's shit, go all-grain' it wouldn't be the place it is now. How many people have upgraded based on the help they've got on this forum? Surely we should be encouraging potential AGers along and showing them how it's done. Not turning our noses up at the mere thought of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back