Sa Mid Year Case Swap 09

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

It may or may not be too early to start getting a mid year case swap organised, but I thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a thread going with some ideas for it. I know that I would like to know when and where it will be taking place, so that I can get a beer prepared in time for it - I don't want to be running around last minute making a beer that is not up to my standard and then wanting to pull out so that no-one has to taste my under-par brew.

So what are your thoughts? Venue and Date? Theme for beer?

As it is in winter (or planned to be) - maybe some ideas for the theme could be:

- Winter warmers
- Lager and pseudo-lagers
- Euro beers

So far:

Swappers

Phillip :)

Hey everybody,

It may or may not be too early to start getting a mid year case swap organised, but I thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a thread going with some ideas for it. I know that I would like to know when and where it will be taking place, so that I can get a beer prepared in time for it - I don't want to be running around last minute making a beer that is not up to my standard and then wanting to pull out so that no-one has to taste my under-par brew.

So what are your thoughts? Venue and Date? Theme for beer?

As it is in winter (or planned to be) - maybe some ideas for the theme could be:

- Winter warmers
- Lager and pseudo-lagers
- Euro beers

So far:

Swappers

Phillip :)
FERGI

Thanks boston for the wiki...

Has anybody got any ideas about the theme?

How about beer? I like beer.
As do I. I think we should all make beer.

I seem to recall someone putting their hand up to host the next one in the other thread... not sure though.

Has anybody got any ideas about the theme?
Not too fussed on a theme. I am not a big fan of Belgians or Barley Wine, but I might just be waiting for that Brewer to change my mind.
I was thinking just a 'something dark', theme but don't want to rule out some ESB or Irish Red's.
Open to all suggestions, My next brews lined up are ESB, Irish Red, and another Stout... so I think any of those would be appropriate. Maybe a theme 'ideal serving temp 6-8oC'. Bigger beers that deserve a gentle warming.

Not too fussed on a theme. I am not a big fan of Belgians or Barley Wine, but I might just be waiting for that Brewer to change my mind.
I was thinking just a 'something dark', theme but don't want to rule out some ESB or Irish Red's.
Open to all suggestions, My next brews lined up are ESB, Irish Red, and another Stout... so I think any of those would be appropriate. Maybe a theme 'ideal serving temp 6-8oC'. Bigger beers that deserve a gentle warming.

I believe Wayne has put his hand up to host.

I vote for anything winter themed so no lagers or hefes. A good dunkelweizen i wont say no to. Must be AG.

And can i put this one out there - is it possible for people to put in beers they have brewed before rather than subjecting us to their experiments?

And can i put this one out there - is it possible for people to put in beers they have brewed before rather than subjecting us to their experiments?
I don't mind a first time recipe coming in, as long as it is sound beer and not just throw together to meet the dead line, and was bottled early enough to have a tasting before swap day, possible by another member before submitting. I am not that keen on last minute brewing to rush an entry in. I am happy with keg conditioned, as long as it has been tried first.
As we know bigger beers are better in the bottle after a few months, so time for people to pick a recipe and get prepared.
If there are any experiments, bring them for a taste, not to swap.

Added my name to the Wiki List, up to 7 so far.

I am keen for a porter style, dark or similar. 2c.

Yep, I'm in.
As for theme, I don't mind, as long as it's not too restrictive. Like the idea of darks, but like Boston, I certainly wouldn't want to exclude ambers or reds from that. (particularly seeing as how I'm on a bit of an amber kick myself at the moment. ;) ).

Yep, I'm in.
As for theme, I don't mind, as long as it's not too restrictive. Like the idea of darks, but like Boston, I certainly wouldn't want to exclude ambers or reds from that. (particularly seeing as how I'm on a bit of an amber kick myself at the moment. ;) ).

You're not the only 1 on an amber kick at the moment.
I'm interested but before I put my name down, I want to make certain people wont mint pet bottles as most of my brews end up in kegs and I wont have a full set of glass untill I've completed a swap <_<

I'm interested but before I put my name down, I want to make certain people wont mint pet bottles as most of my brews end up in kegs and I wont have a full set of glass untill I've completed a swap <_<
I have a heap of glass at the moment, so can help you out with a donation when it gets closer. If you have a work BBQ coming up, tell them you will buy the beer, and come back with a case of Coopers longnecks. :icon_cheers:

Just put your name down, 'apeth. The details will sort themselves out. :rolleyes:

I'm in the swap, but I'll have to confirm that I will have a venue to have it at by then :) otherwise someone else might have to take the bait.

awesome, i'm up for this. name's on the wiki. now for some inspiration... i'm thinking i have quite a few Belgian yeasts and it's a style i've yet to actually brew. i might try something in the vicinity of a leffe or chimay red. i'll have to probably put down a batch now to make sure it tastes alright.

You have my interest as it would be nice to actually attend one this time, the only request I have is that all the swap beers be bottle conditioned rather then bottled from keg. As it was detrimental to the beer and easy to pick which one were done from kegs because they were basically flat and all the carb was in the head space of the bottle.That is the only gripe I have from the last swap.

There was at least a couple of beers I thought were really nice but the fact they were flat took all the enjoyment away from the experience.

An Idea for a theme could be "Global Warming" considering it would be winter when we do it. The format for the theme, we choose 6 style regions of the world (i.e. AUS US ENG GER BEL IRL) that have atleast 2 distinct styles (ie. Lager/Ale/Stout/etc) and do a hat draw or preference list (first in First Served) and select 4 brewers per region. Each brew a beer of their choosing from that region. It would be nice if we could get 2 or more different styles per region.

Globle Warming Equation: 6 regions x 4 beers/styles per region = 24 beers

I'm in! Never been to a case swap before, so someone will need to fill me in on the details/requirements.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back