S189 Yeast - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump:
Anyone brewed @ 15 with this and had a clean finish?
Cheers,
Luke :beerbang:

I brewed a Schwartzbier with this at about 21c. Wasn't my idea, I just had to go away unexpectedly, and as my 'temperature control' involves adding frozen bottles to a broken-down old freezer, things went awry.

Anyway, when I got home it was going off like a machine gun. I tried to get the temp down, but it brewed out before I could do much. I lagered it for a couple of weeks.

And it was bloody beautiful. Maybe not quite as crisp as it might have been, but no weird, out-of-place fruitiness at all.

I'm not suggesting 21c to anyone, but I'm planning to use this in the next few months at ambient temps, which will vary between 12-16 or so.

Thank's
Planning on a pretty meaty Kiwi hop steam beer and to give 2112 and n/brewer a miss this year
It wont be that delicate and need to be pills crisp.
Just don't want major esters and butter.

- Luke

Now you all have me scared. My case swap is sitting outside in the cold at home. pitched 15g's of this to 38litres on sunday. how cold is too cold? could get down to around <10c at nghts in melb.? should i move it inside which sits at about 18c?

Legend Razz just what i wanted to hear.

Thank's
Planning on a pretty meaty Kiwi hop steam beer

What sort of meat are you using Luke? :p

BTW I also used this yeast in a stout at lager temps. Not too shabby at all.

It could readily usurp US-05 in my brewery.

Warren -

Just wondering how much of this yeast are you guys pitching for the various temps. Would I get away with one sachet at lager temps?

Now you all have me scared. My case swap is sitting outside in the cold at home. pitched 15g's of this to 38litres on sunday. how cold is too cold? could get down to around <10c at nghts in melb.? should i move it inside which sits at about 18c?

I should have added that I've also used it at 10-12c for the same beer. Lagered three weeks at about 5c. Turned out great. Just a little crisper than the warm ferment version.

Local brewer up here brews nearly all czech pilsners. Ferments them all at 20c with the "Swiss lager" In the keg within a week & no signs of fruitiness.

Personally I'd prefer to ferment cooler, but this yeast could well be the answer for guys wanting to brew lagers without fermentation fridges.

cheers Ross

ive used craftbrewer's s189 (swiss yeast) at cold lager ferments and it came out aces! nice and clean. actualy I used it last in my brown bavarian mongrel lager. i would recomend the yeast.

huhu, wonder if the guys in the vic case swap would like to be guinea pigs for that 20 degree experiment ross.

I have only used S189 at 8 degrees and it's been great.

I've used this yeast twice now for lagers but would have to say I'm not a fan. Not sure what it is possibly a little neutral for my liking?! I'd much prefer something like a wyeast 1224 or 2000.

I've used this yeast twice now for lagers but would have to say I'm not a fan. Not sure what it is possibly a little neutral for my liking?! I'd much prefer something like a wyeast 1224 or 2000.
I would agree that it is quite clean and neutral, which is not necessarily a bad thing fort certain styles, IMHO.
I did a split batch Bav Lager (12deg), the other half getting Wyeast 2206. Side by side they were almost identical (2206 was fractionally better, though took twice as long to ferment out).
I would happily recommend this yeast for nice clean lagers.

Hey guys mildly but not totally worried yet.

Tried cold pitching this yesterday. Rehydrated as per instructions and pitched at 11 degrees. 24 hours later at 11 degrees and not a lot of action??

I've had liquid lager starters take up to 36 hours at these temps.

Scary stuff though. I'd like to see some form of airlock activity soon. :eek:

Anybody have experience with cold pitching this stuff?

FWIW I used two packets rehydrated in 45 litres.

Warren -

S-189 is my yeast od choice for all Lagers both dark and light. I have never fermented this one warm but find it's all over and in the keg within 7 days even fermenting at 10 deg C with 24 hours rest at 18. It's great stuff. It may lack at little something compared with some of the liquid yeasts but 2 packs if I am pitching at 12 or just one if its a bit warmer as I only chill to 30 or 40 now and put in the fridge till pitching temps are hit.

Steve

Thanks Steve, think I've just got to sit tight and be patient. Last time I used this stuff I pitched at 16 degrees and had pretty quick activity.

Lagers frustrate me. :lol:

Warren -

I pitched two (rehydrated) packs of this yeast into my second ever lager last Friday at around 10degC. Sometime on Sunday, it looked like it was working and it is now off and running/limping at around 11degC. It was a bit scary for a while, though.

Latest posts

Back