S189 Yeast - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

Leave well alone, it'll be at full krausen by tomorrow, don't go lifting the temp when it's so close.
If pitching cold, you should really pitch both packets (assuming you're not?), which is the way I do it.
If pitching warm, 1 is ample, but I prefer to pitch cool & reuse the trub to get better value, rather than pitching warm.

cheers Ross

oops already given it a whisk with sterilised fork. I pitched warm (as usual). Its normally firing over night hence my perplexion (new word?). Will chuck her back in the fridge and see what happens.
Cheers Ross
Steve

Still no action...nothing on the surface at all, just crystal clear wort....very odd! Will have to do a quick run around the corner to my LHBS and let him know he sold me a dud.
Cheers
Steve

Still no action...nothing on the surface at all, just crystal clear wort....very odd! Will have to do a quick run around the corner to my LHBS and let him know he sold me a dud.
Cheers
Steve
How well did you airate Steve. The best $15 I spent was at K-mart when I got an aquarium air pump and stone. It made a hell of a diff. Saying that you may of done that? :blink:
The only problem I have had with dry yeast was a 34/70 that would not disolve. It just stayed in those little balls. I suspect that there was a problem in production or storage?
I have found that without using an airstone there is a very fine line as too whether or not the wort is adequatly airated or not.
Good Luck ;)

Steve

Steve did you hydrate the yeast before pitching? this will ensure you pitch a greater number of healthy yeast. Either way it is very strange that nothing happened.

Nope I dont hyrdate and havent been airating my last 5-6 AG no chills. Not to worry - will chuck another in tomorrow after ive hydrated it with some wort.
Cheers
Steve

Steve always hydrate with boiled and cooled water (30C). This allows the yeast walls to rebuild and limit what passes through them. Hydrating in wort causes unwanted 'stuff' to pass through the cell walls until properly hydrated.

Steve always hydrate with boiled and cooled water (30C). This allows the yeast walls to rebuild and limit what passes through them. Hydrating in wort causes unwanted 'stuff' to pass through the cell walls until properly hydrated.

:blink: Ask two different brewers, get two different answers. Thanks Jye but I was advised to hydrate in wort about an hour ago by another reputable brewer from around your neck 'o the woods.
Cheers
Steve

:blink: Ask two different brewers, get two different answers. Thanks Jye but I was advised to hydrate in wort about an hour ago by another reputable brewer from around your neck 'o the woods.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve - not hydrate in wort - hydrate in water. Then add a little wort to it to make sure its firing & good.
If the last packet was duff, there's a high chance the next packet will be from the same batch, so best to check it first.

cheers Ross

Hi Steve - not hydrate in wort - hydrate in water. Then add a little wort to it to make sure its firing & good.
If the last packet was duff, there's a high chance the next packet will be from the same batch, so best to check it first.

cheers Ross

:D righto!

Here a link to a grumpys thread and my version of grumpys instructions.Yeast hydration linkI third that.

There's a few post and links why it is so that you must rehydrate dry yeast and ONLY with water.

Any one saying to hydrate it with wort has got it wrong.
I used to believe it too as but got wiser.

matti

Ok, the first time with S 189 yeast [from where else, Ross ^_^ ] Rehydrate in cooled boiled water, 20g in 200 ml, pitch after 25 min when well stirred and looks like cream into 18c wort, Steves Nelsons Lager [all pilsner and Nelson Sauvin] , going down to 10c in the fermenting fridge.
Not my usual style and it's been awhile since I have done a Lager. ;) I make lagers for mates, but this one is for me. :D

The reason I posted here is I remember the reading the posts in above posts link. same as above on pitching yeasts.

Just digging this one up again.

Tried this yeast for the first time yesterday and I reckon it's a ripper. :)

Rehydrated it as per the instructions at 12 noon yesterday. Pitched 2 packs at 16 degrees to 45 litres of wort and dropped the fridge temp to 11 overnight.
Already blowing its boots off as at 9am today. B)

I'm impressed. Even with good liquid starters it takes me around 24 hours to get some decent activity.

Warren -

I dumped a single pack of this yeast onto a dark lager on Saturday - no rehydration just straight in onto a well aerated room temp wort then stirred it in. Transferred the fermenter to the fridge which is on 9-10 degrees internal air temp. As yet there has been no activity - this is the 1st time I've used this yeast.

Does this yeast generate much of a krausen? Should I rehydrate the other pack & pitch it tonight or wait another day or 2?

Crozdog I rehydrated as per the instructions and pitched it at 16 degrees, then dropped the t/stat to 11 degrees. I got visible signs of fermentation within hours (positive airlock pressure).

Doesn't throw a particularly big krausen at all. You say you pitched it room temp? Exactly how high? A combination of that and dropping the fermenter temp too quickly may have cold shocked it perhaps? Not sure if dried yeast can suffer this fate as readily as liquid but it's a possibility.

Should fire up sooner or more possibly later, give it time.

Warren -

Thanks Warren.

I was curious re the krausen cause it's a sure sign ferment is underway. When I pitched the ambient room temp would have been about 22 with the wort at about 20. i would have thought it would have taken some time to drop 19l of wort from 20 - 10ish. Dunno about the cold shock, I've used the same technique with pitching liquid lager starters before with no issue.

I'll keep an eye on it before rehydrating and adding more.

I have had great results with this yeast last winter.
From what I have read here I understand this strain is quite clean at higher temps.
My question is how high a temp have you fermented at?

Regards,
Luke

Bump:
Anyone brewed @ 15 with this and had a clean finish?
Cheers,
Luke :beerbang:

Hey sorry Luke just noticed this one.

Yep, my CAP wound up around 15-16 during the recent heatwave (though seems like a distant melbourne memory now brrrr :blink: ) and was as clean as the provebial.

One thing I must stress is that I pitched around 9 degrees though. :)

Warren -

Bump:
Anyone brewed @ 15 with this and had a clean finish?
Cheers,
Luke :beerbang:

Lukes

I know Wazza brewed with this over Summer in a CAP beer and had trouble with the temps and take it from me it was a really nice drink.

If he doesn't see this thread shoot him a PM or email

Rook

Beat me by that much Wazza :)

Thanks Guy's,
Look's like I wont be waiting till the queens b/day weekend to start lagering...
Be snowing at home soon at this rate anyway.
Rehydrate as per specs, pitch cold and sit it on the cold concrete floor for a couple of weeks is the plan.

:icon_cheers:

Luke

Latest posts

Back