S189 Yeast - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Spills

My guess is that 2 x 12g packs of this stuff pitched into 45 litres at 11 degrees is probably just a fair amount of underpitching on my part.

Looks like I'll be drumming my fingers in wait for a while yet. :rolleyes:

Warren -

I've only ever pitched a single sachet of this, rehydrated of course, normally at around 20c, then I start bringing down the temp straight away. It always kicks off quickly for me.

My guess is that 2 x 12g packs of this stuff pitched into 45 litres at 11 degrees is probably just a fair amount of underpitching on my part.

Hard to say. I know that I have pitched 12g into 24 litres at 12 or 12 and its slow to take off, but still comes out fine in the end. For some reason this yeast does take off quicker if u rehydrate. I was never an advocate for re-hydrating until I used this yeast.

Steve

I've only ever pitched a single sachet of this, rehydrated of course, normally at around 20c, then I start bringing down the temp straight away. It always kicks off quickly for me.

Thats the safe way I guess. Even pitching at 20 if u can get it down to 10 or 12 within 24 hours it will be fine.

Steve

A simple guideline for dried lager yeasts in general is 1 pack if pitching warm and 2 packs if cold, for a 23L or so batch.

So yes, 2 packs pitched into 45L cold would be underpitching.

I've used both methods with s189 with good results. The beers were different so I can't say that one was better than the other.
I'll probably stick with pitching 2 packs but it is hard to say...

Cheers Spills

Looks like I'll be drumming my fingers in wait for a while yet. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Indeed. I probably overpitched. MrMalty suggested that for my batch size, somewhere between one and two packs would work, but I decided to go over because I was feeling particularly paranoid. Yours probably have a bit more sex to get through than mine did...

Yes, well under pitched Warren - I'd have been warm pitching at those numbers.
I wouldn't be panicing though, she'll fire....

cheers Ross

Yes, well under pitched Warren - I'd have been warm pitching at those numbers.
I wouldn't be panicing though, she'll fire....

cheers Ross

:lol: Yes Ross, Nottingham she ain't... I'd be almost racking it to the kegs after 24 hours.

Yeah as said. Even with good liquid starters I've experienced long and longer lag times. As much as I enjoy the flavour lagers shit me in some ways! B)

Warren -

Didi you say that you prepped a starter??

I've only ever pitched this yeast as a warm 2ltr starter and never at a temp off 10c so it's never been an issue of delayed activity for me. Only case I find it happens is when I've gone the cheap arse approach and purchased out of date, less viable liquid cultures.

A related question for those who pitch this yeast cold - what's your rehydration process? Everything I've read about rehydration says that it should be done with luke-warm water, so:

1. Do you rehydrate around 24oC, drop the rehydrated yeast to 10 or 12oC, then pitch. Or...
2. Do you rehydrate around 24 and immediately pitch into the cooler wort (I would imagine this would risk thermal shock, right)?

If you use option 1, how quickly do you drop the temperature of the rehydrated yeast before pitching?

Thanks.

Didi you say that you prepped a starter??

I've only ever pitched this yeast as a warm 2ltr starter and never at a temp off 10c so it's never been an issue of delayed activity for me. Only case I find it happens is when I've gone the cheap arse approach and purchased out of date, less viable liquid cultures.

Nah mate no starter. I just rehydrated as per the instructions. Dropped the contents into 300ml of cooled, boiled water and left it for 20 mins, then gave it a good stir for around 10 mins to mix it all up and then dumped it into the wort.

Edit: Ozpowell I didn't take the temp of the cooled/boiled water, most certainly not too hot because the 300ml had been forced cooled and refrigerated for 45 minutes. My guess off the top of my head is the water temp would have been around 15 degrees.

Warren -

Hey guys mildly but not totally worried yet.

Tried cold pitching this yesterday. Rehydrated as per instructions and pitched at 11 degrees. 24 hours later at 11 degrees and not a lot of action??

I've had liquid lager starters take up to 36 hours at these temps.

Scary stuff though. I'd like to see some form of airlock activity soon. :eek:

Anybody have experience with cold pitching this stuff?

FWIW I used two packets rehydrated in 45 litres.

Warren -

Hi Warren,

I tried this yeast as an experiment with 2 packs of 11grams in 23 litres and it had fired up overnite.
I will use 50gramms in my 46 litre brews as it does state that the pitching rate should be hgher for this yeast.
You may have been a little lite on with the pitching rate if you used only 22gramms.
I would just sit tight and see how it goes, I believe as long as sanitation is spot on an extended lag time may not cause any real probs if the yeast can multiply and do its job.
BTW I ALLWAYS use a yeast nutrient with lager yeasts as I like to pitch them cold.

Cheers

The only 3 times i have used it has been sprinkled on top and pitched at 10c and it has always fired up within 12 hrs ( 2 packets - 23 litres )

Rook

The only 3 times i have used it has been sprinkled on top and pitched at 10c and it has always fired up within 12 hrs ( 2 packets - 23 litres )

Rook

Sprinkled? You manly thing. I betcha you just chucked it. :p

Warren -

I'm currently brewing two lagers in the same fridge at 12 degrees, which were both pitched with yeast on 1 June.

Both had OG's of 1.050, and the pitching temp of both was 12 degrees. Both yeasts were hydrated to cream at around 20 degrees.

The first (blonde) was pitched with a single pack of W34/70.

The second (lager) was pitched with a single pack of CB Swiss (S-189).

The lager (with 189) was going off like a cracker by the next day (2 June) and as of today (10 June) is sitting around 1.016.

The blonde (with W34) started very slowly, with no positive airlock pressure or krausen until at least around 6 June, and is currently sitting at 1.042.

I know which yeast I prefer :)

Sam

I'm currently brewing two lagers in the same fridge at 12 degrees, which were both pitched with yeast on 1 June.

Both had OG's of 1.050, and the pitching temp of both was 12 degrees. Both yeasts were hydrated to cream at around 20 degrees.

The first (blonde) was pitched with a single pack of W34/70.

The second (lager) was pitched with a single pack of CB Swiss (S-189).

The lager (with 189) was going off like a cracker by the next day (2 June) and as of today (10 June) is sitting around 1.016.

The blonde (with W34) started very slowly, with no positive airlock pressure or krausen until at least around 6 June, and is currently sitting at 1.042.

I know which yeast I prefer

Sam

Sounds pretty normal to me. Thats why S-189 is my dry yeast of choice

I dunno, 5-6 days for any lager yeast to fire seems awfully abnormal to me! My bet is something would have been wrong with that W34/70 sachet. I guess that's the flaw with any of these kinds of comparisons - its hard to know whether that particular sachet was exposed to heat or something during its transit from factory to customer. I have never had any yeast take 6 days to fire.

I dunno, 5-6 days for any lager yeast to fire seems awfully abnormal to me! My bet is something would have been wrong with that W34/70 sachet.
Thats what I mean. On more than one occasion I had this problem, I hate w34/70 and will never use it again.

Steve

Thats what I mean. On more than one occasion I had this problem, I hate w34/70 and will never use it again.

Steve

S189! Bloody lager yeasts! Did a german pilsner. 10 bloody days (feels like weeks) and the points are still dropping.....Id be drinking it by now if it was an ale! I have one in the garage at 10-12 and one in the laundry at 15-18. Its like watching bloody grass grow! Even worse when im all out of HB (AGAIN!). I've even resorted to drinking quarter of me can of Melbourne and topping it up with my fermenting pilsner :eek: Sad eh?
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back