S189 Yeast - Help

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by brettprevans, 11/6/07.

1. Steve

On the back bloody porch!

Home Page:
    Posted 20/6/08

:lol: buckleys chance of that nonsense happening round this neck o the woods mate! :lol:

2. therook

Home Page:
    Posted 23/5/11
    I got sick of making starters and stepping up when using liquids so decided to try this yeast.
    Made a CAP and then dumped a Pilsner onto the yeast cake and yesterday dumped a Schwarzbier onto the Pilsner yeast cake.
    if the Cap and Pilsner tastes as good as it was going into the kegs yesterday i may never go near liquid again :icon_cheers:

Rook

3. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 23/5/11
    I often keep sludge from "dry" yeasts, i.e. US-05 and S-189. That's often cited as being cheap-arse as dried yeasts are so cheap. However with liquid yeasts currently sub-$10 and dried yeasts around $5 I wouldn't say they are all that cheap and certainly worth running on for a few brews.

Nice necro Rook - didn't notice :lol:

gravedigging.jpeg

4. SnakeDoctor

Posted 25/4/14
    Anyone had any luck buying a 500g pack from overseas lately? Some sites had them for as little as $65

5. dicko

Boston Bay Brewery Moderating

Posted 25/4/14
  6. Florian

Back On Track

Posted 25/4/14
    Virtually impossible.

You can get it delivered from Germany for pretty much the same price as Craftbrewer sells it, so no point.

Canada won't ship, and no luck in the US.

7. SnakeDoctor

Posted 2/5/14
    I currently buy many of them from one of our sponsors, I was just a bit surprised to see the price down so low from Canada / USA - I'm guessing the sponsor themselves wishes they could buy it that cheap too.

8. Goose

0 Warning Points

Posted 1/7/14
    I also purchase the 12g packets from Craftbrewer.

I did consider an overseas purchase, but the S-189 yeast ships from the manufacturer in 500g packs only. Clearly targetted at commercial brewery markets, not the homebrewer.

The added value in Craftbrewer's service is in the breakbulk and repackaging. I just hope they use an aseptic technique in the repackaging process.... :mellow: but not had a problem so far.

9. hoppinmad

Posted 12/8/15
    Will have a full yeast cake of S-189 available on the weekend and was considering using it for an American pale ale-esque style beer. Just simple ale malt, bit of crystal with cascade, galaxy and nelson. Fermented low to avoid esters. Anyone tried something similar with this yeast with good results?

10. Hangover68

Posted 16/7/17
    Another necro post but i just used some s-189 with a coopers euro lager and pitched the yeast at 20c, label said 9-22 but ideal was 15-20. No action after 24hrs so wondering if i should move the fermenter outisde as its currently 16c in my laundry - could move it to the shed if i make some space.

11. GABBA110360

Pro

Posted 16/7/17
    it is a lager yeast so depending on the temp for pitching rate if on the cold side at least twice ale pitching rate
    give it time

Hangover68 likes this.
  12. Hangover68

Posted 17/7/17
    thanks, i assumed as much but thought i should check. I just ordered an Ikegger 4l keg and tap and once its ready i will be kegging some it :)

13. Hangover68

Posted 18/7/17 at 6:41 AM
    Got home last night and i see movement in the airlock :cool: which is reassuring.