S189 Yeast - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not too much further - the two beers I made with S-189 were 76% and 69%, both mashed at 67.

It works nicely in a Helles as well.

i hope so i just dumped it on my whitelabs yeast that was out of date and didnt start fermenting my helles.

Note to self: dont buy yeast at a cheaper price because its a few days out of date.

done it once and never again. hmmm probly shouldve made a starter with it. :blink:

i hope so i just dumped it on my whitelabs yeast that was out of date and didnt start fermenting my helles.

Note to self: dont buy yeast at a cheaper price because its a few days out of date.

done it once and never again. hmmm probly shouldve made a starter with it. :blink:

I ALWAYS make a starter even with a fresh vial. It just ends up being better beer without the lag time of pitching a normal tube. Plus i get to decant some of the active yeast into another starter that i can save into vials for later

Mind you a couple of days wouldn't really cause too many issues, however pitching one of the "pitchable" yeasts into a lager at even ale-ish temps (15-16C) never worked for me anyway, so now it's starters all the way

ok so Ive got my s189 from Ross (thx btw). It comes as 2 packs joined together (2x12g). But I dont know wheather to use 1 or both packs.

receipe below (which has been borrowed off a AHB member)

Pils
Morgans Golden Saaz
1 kg of dextrose
S189 Yeast.
BPrimary for 2 weeks - rack and dry hop with 25gms of Saaz pellets for 4 weeks.

thoughts (and any comments on reciepe)?

1 pack is fine.

What if you pitch at lager temps Duff? I'll be using some of this stuff for my next round of lagers, and will be pitching at 10-12deg. I was going to pitch two packs...

What if you pitch at lager temps Duff? I'll be using some of this stuff for my next round of lagers, and will be pitching at 10-12deg. I was going to pitch two packs...
I was planning on brewing at 10-12C also. Last pils I made I used 2xSaflagar cause it was going to sit around 10C (it took 3 weeks (inc 3 day diadatic rest) to go from around 1.040 to to 1.012).

But at $10 (incl postage) if I dont have to use 2 packs I would prefer to save it
And yes my spelling sux.

Tim,

For my Vienna and current Pilsners brewing, I pitch dry at ambient temps until I see the first sign of activity (quite fast with 189), then reduce to fermenting temps. If you want to pitch at fermenting temps then I would definately pitch as a starter or rehydrated at the very least.

Cheers.

I always pitch 2 as I pitch cold. If adding just one I'd be rehydrating first & kicking it off with a little wort.
If adding warm & then chilling, 1 is quite adequate just sprinkled in.

cheers Ross

I always rehydrate my yeasts, almost to the extent of making a miniature starter out of them. I use honey or some leftover liquid malt extract to start them, or failing all else - white sugar. 1/3 glass of water and 3g sucrose/LLME/honey seems to do the trick nicely when left for a day or less prior to the brew.

I think that if you know when you're brewing you should try and plan ahead and rehydrate - it makes for a much quicker start to fermentation if nothing else. Even doing it while you boil/sanitise makes a difference.

Tim,

For my Vienna and current Pilsners brewing, I pitch dry at ambient temps until I see the first sign of activity (quite fast with 189), then reduce to fermenting temps. If you want to pitch at fermenting temps then I would definately pitch as a starter or rehydrated at the very least.

Cheers.

Thanks Duff. I need to pitch at fermentation temps because my little wine fridge doesn't have enough grunt to get the temp down once fermentation starts!

ok so Ive got my s189 from Ross (thx btw). It comes as 2 packs joined together (2x12g). But I dont know wheather to use 1 or both packs.

receipe below (which has been borrowed off a AHB member)

Pils
Morgans Golden Saaz
1 kg of dextrose
S189 Yeast.
BPrimary for 2 weeks - rack and dry hop with 25gms of Saaz pellets for 4 weeks.

thoughts (and any comments on reciepe)?

interested to hear how this one turns out.

used the s189 on a morgans saaz as well. added 500g dextrose and 500g light dry extract.
re hydrated half the yeast, then pitched the other half on top. most yeast i've ever used on one batch. :beerbang: pitched at about 22C. cooling down now and looks like it already started bubbling.

I used 1 packet (rehydrated) on a Schwartz beer fermented at 12 for 3 weeks then i dropped the temp to 1 for 2 weeks. Turned out great.

A very good yeast, no hassle, great results.

I put down a german pilsener on Friday with S189. Its in the fridge at 10 degrees and doing absolutely nothing. Very unusual. The yeast has formed 10 or so clumps which look like fluffy cold break about 1-2 cms wide just sitting on top of the wort. Might have to pitch another. First time this yeast hasnt fired. Im a bit perplexed to be honest as its my favourite lager yeast and have had great results.
Cheers
Steve

Cheers guys...will take it out of the fridge for the day and give it a whisk.
Steve

I put down a german pilsener on Friday with S189. Its in the fridge at 10 degrees and doing absolutely nothing. Very unusual. The yeast has formed 10 or so clumps which look like fluffy cold break about 1-2 cms wide just sitting on top of the wort. Might have to pitch another. First time this yeast hasnt fired. Im a bit perplexed to be honest as its my favourite lager yeast and have had great results.
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Leave well alone, it'll be at full krausen by tomorrow, don't go lifting the temp when it's so close.
If pitching cold, you should really pitch both packets (assuming you're not?), which is the way I do it.
If pitching warm, 1 is ample, but I prefer to pitch cool & reuse the trub to get better value, rather than pitching warm.

cheers Ross

Back