Roggenbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwww man...... this is tops. Im so happy i started this thread. I love to see people stepping outside the square and brewing something different, and enjoying it.

Its been almost 2 years since i started this thread........... time to do another one i think.

MHB was asking me if i wanted rye malt a while ago..... might have to get some and that wheat culture Les has offered me.

Will have to order some Rice Gulls and break out the decoction pots.

cheers

Nah tony, don't use any rice gulls, just sparge really really really slow. Absolutely no drama's here with no rice hulls at all.

I am planning another Roggenbier.......... with a twist.

Im not going to brew it with a Wheat weast, its going in on a belgian!

I have 3787 and i recon it will work well. fantastic flavour profile, great attenuation, very floculant, sounds perfect.

And you cant tell me some fenolic spice wont work in a Roggen!

Thinking of brewing it for the NSW Xmas case swap.

the plan is:

50% Rye malt
20% Dark wheat malt
20% Pilsner malt
8% Munich II
2% Crystal Rye

Bitter with Styrian Goldings
Late hops SAAZ.

1.070, 26 IBU, 22 EBC

Going to make and no chill 2 x 17 liter cubes of it and pitch the yeast in one, on day 4 pour the second cube in.

Might look at doing it in the next couple of weeks so it has time to mature before xmas. Belgian yeast is the oposite of wheat yeast i have found.

any comments folks?

cheers

I have 3787 and i recon it will work well. fantastic flavour profile, great attenuation, very floculant, sounds perfect.

It will be fantastic Tony :icon_cheers: go for it.

Thanks mate. Thats a seal of aproval like no other :)

I have been toiling over the recipe for a couple of months now, It has changes consantly but today i ended up with that and it looked great. Ballances and not to over the top. I want it drinkable and enjoyable so i dropped a lot of the darker specialty malts i origionally had planned. Dont want to use too much specialty, i want the rye and dark wheat to shine.

cheers

Tony, you must be crazy! The BJCP folks will be at you with pitchforks!!!! :D

ps...sounds awesome!

F@%K Them B)

!!!

Bulls Head Certification Program

No rules brewing!

Tony, you must be crazy! The BJCP folks will be at you with pitchforks!!!!

Bah. Humbug. What kind of style would that be anyway, Tony? How can you brew a beer with no style. :angry: :huh: :lol:

Now I think about it, I have some 3787. Oh, and some rye malt. Sounds like a great idea to me. Might brew something more like a rye pale ale with that yeast. Mmmmmm. Thanks for the inspiration. :super:

I Call iit the Belgian Rye Dubbel

I was going dark like a proper Roggen but its not a propper roggen so i thought........mmmmmmmm might be a better beer and show off more yeast and hop character if its a bit lighter! So i dropped the caraaroma and Choc wheat i had planned.

Im very happy with the recipe and cant wait to have one in the glass.

Not looking forward to the mash though!

Only one question left

Tall wheat glass or wide mouth belgian glass ?????????

Love it, love it :lol: does not matter what glass it's is in when done [wide for me] it will be "out there" wish I had thought of it ..... "Belgian Rye Dubbel" ;)

Only one thing that will be wide open :)

:chug:

cheers

Nice one Tony, live to ryde mate :super: :lol:

Well its becoming a reality right now. Its mashing away behind me.

Just tasted some of the liquor from the recirc when i took a gravity reading and it tastes fantastic. I used 8 liters volume (1kg) of rice gulls and i have a small but consistant flow through the HERMS. I was a bit worried at the start, it just wouldnt flow but i got it going.

Final recipe in the mash was:

Belgian Rye Dubbel

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.85
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.66
Anticipated EBC: 24.0
Anticipated IBU: 28.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
38.9 5.00 kg. TF Pale Rye Malt UK 1.036 8
27.2 3.50 kg. IMC Pilsner Australia 1.038 3
23.3 3.00 kg. Weyermann Wheat Dark Germany 1.037 18
7.8 1.00 kg. Rice Gulls Australia 1.000 0
2.3 0.30 kg. TF Crystal Rye UK 1.031 180
0.4 0.05 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special I Germany 1.036 850

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
48.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 9.80 26.0 45 min.
20.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.50 2.0 10 min.
30.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

The Dark wheat/Rye combo is looking like a winner. I dropped the munich malt as the Dark Wheat will do its job in its own special soft spicy way.

Going to snap chill it in the kettle and pitch the yeast in the lot all at once. I dont want to take any chances with cubes ect with this one.

Ooooooo im excited :)

cheers

Ooooooo im excited :)

cheers
...and I just can't hide it. Go the "Pointer Sisters!" :icon_chickcheers:

I'm quite happy to be in that swap right now.

I should get my finger out and start a Roggen soon. Mark has some rye in stock. Any takers for a 1/2 or 1/3 bag, perhaps?
Plenty of choc chit rye too, IIRC.
Recipe thoughts, anyone? I was thinkin' of the JC's Roggen by JZ, but with W3638 yeast.

Onya, Tony. Great thread, great ideas and big pumpernickel to all. Wish I was there sipping warm wort with ya.

Cooling it now..... i lost a few points to chaneling with a tight mash on the bottom. I cought it once and stopped, stired it up, recirced till clear (well no such thing as clear with a rye beer) and started again. Dropped from 80 to 75% efficiency and ended up with 1.068 cooled.

That was the origional gravity i was going to brew it to a while back but upped it a bit partly in anticipation of just this situation.

Smells great cooling down, looks typically murky and muddy and slightly viscous.

YUM :)

cheers

We'll have to paint your ute black and call you Hoff, aka 'The Knight Rye-der'

We'll have to paint your ute black and call you Hoff, aka 'The Knight Rye-der'

I used to love that show!

My brother as a kid even named his pet goldfish "KIT" :lol:

I think you just found the official name for this beer mate (if you dont mind of course :p )

The Knight Rye-der

I like it.

Should be fun playing around with making a label for it...... if i can be bothered.

cheers

PS........ Les, i will be in half or 1/3 of a bag of rye if you want.

untitled_edit.JPG

:lol:

Mate, with your brewery, I thought Bull Rye-der would be more appropriate.. :p

Latest posts

Back