Roggenbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys.

there is 40 liters of the bloody stuff.

I have some dried safwheat here. I will give them a couple of more weeks and see whats happening, then i might try the eyedropper thing.

cheers

second thought....... it doesnt have to be a wheat yeast hey.

might do it with some lager yeast from my CAP. that will carb it in my cold garage them :)

cheers

uncapped, added 1 eye dropper of german lager yeast to each bottle and re capped.

If they dont carb up i will try putting a teaspoon of dextrose in each bottle.

Ill get gas in the bloody things if its the last thing i do :)

cheers

I was going through the bottles in my garage today looking for something interesting to drink, when i found a bottle of Thurn und Taxis Roggen!

I didn't even realise I'd bought a Roggenbier until then :)

Heres my tasting notes for anyone interested:

Aroma: 8/10, Appearance: 4/5, Flavour: 6/10, Palate: 3/5, Overall: 13/20
Total Score: 68/100
Dark, dark amber, almost brown. Suprisingly high carbonation, with a short to medium beige lasting head. Lovely yeasty banana and spice aroma, with some citrusy lemon notes too. Malty biscuit flavour, some banana and a strange acidic tang in the finish. Refreshing, but smells better than it tastes.

I did my version of a Roggenbeir on the weekend. Tony, you're not kidding about a slow sparge! Took about 2 hours to sparge twice. Smelled great and had a kind of oily look to it.
Will dump onto a Bavarian Wheat cake once my Dunkelweizen is finished.

Did yours ever carb up Tony?
How was the final product?

it got second place in the wheat catagoty at last years state champs :)

Yeah it carbed up fine once i fed the priming sugar to some viable lager yeast.

There must have been something wrong with the 3068 i had...... it did get a bit overheated in the starter flask.

It turned out to be one of the most fantastic beers i have made. Its smooth and luscious, spicy and sweet but dry.

i will make it again if i ever get the courage up to mess with that much rye malt again ;)

worth it though.

All mine are gone now, i think the only bottle left in existance is one i gave to luke at potters brewery to try...... last time i was there he hadnt cracked it yet. After a year it dried out more and lost a lot of its spicy malt character and the yeast character was gone but still a great drink.

here is what mine looked like

cheers

edit: what was your recipe mate?

roggembier__832_x_1248_.jpg

Roggenbier

Selected Style
German Wheat/Rye Beer-Roggenbier

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 34.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 28.00 l
Volume Transferred: 27.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 27.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 27.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.048 SG Expected OG: 1.058 SG
Expected FG: 1.014 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.9 % Expected ABW: 4.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 18.2 IBU Expected Color: 36.1 EBC
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 20 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
Australian Wheat Malt 3.00 kg 40.7 % In Mash/Steeped
Australian Pale Ale Malt 1.50 kg 20.3 % In Mash/Steeped
German Rye Malt 1.50 kg 20.3 % In Mash/Steeped
Australian Dark Munich 1.00 kg 13.6 % In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Wheat Malt 0.25 kg 3.4 % In Mash/Steeped
German Chocolate Wheat Malt 0.13 kg 1.8 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
German Hallertauer Mittlefruh 4.1 45 g Loose Whole Hops 60 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker 3.5 15 g Loose Whole Hops 20 Min From End

Yeast
Wyeast 3056-Bavarian Wheat

Hey tangent, why didnt your go all rye instead of a mix of wheat and rye?

I love rye and have a Roggenbier second in line after a hefe... cant wait :beerbang:

good question Jye.

firstly, I'd just done a Rye IPA with only 11.7% Rye and 0.6% crystal Rye. I thought they really complimented the beer without overpowering it.

Then i did some research on Roggenbiers here: http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html

"usually made from a grain bill of about half barley malt and equal portions of wheat and rye malts."

So I've gone with 20.3% instead of 25% as I think it would be easy for the Rye to dominate and the tartness of wheat would be a good match with the chosen yeast as well.

i think the recipe looks tops.

I think i used 40% rye and a lot of munich and it was a MALTY beer and very spicy.

less rye would help with the sparge too...... oh the horror. I will never forget trying to sparge that beer.

cheers

Hey tangent,

How did the roggen turn out? Mine went into the keg yesterday after a few days of CCing, still yeasty but I think that is due to wb-06 being a poor flocculator. Ill add some tasting notes and pics on the weekend :chug:

i'm ashamed to say Jye, it's my 2nd no-chill, and it's still no-chilling waiting for yeast!
Oh the shame....
I've been drinking Dunkelweizen, wine and whisky through the colder weather.
I'll dump it in a fermenter and introduce some yeast tomorrow.

update...

i'm surrounded by so much beer i'm forgetting what's what.
The 2nd no-chill was a porter. sitting next to it was a jerry of finished roggenbier
i had a taste as i kegged it today. oh man is that going to be an interesting beer. it almost seemed kinda oily in texture but the bavarian wheat yeast has balanced it out really well with a fruity/dry finish. carbing will change it even more.

it almost seemed kinda oily in texture ...

This is my first impression too. It is still very yeast so will give it a bit longer before getting stuck into the keg. Im also afraid that the mash hasnt converted fully as it has a very muddy appearance and with 50% rye which has a low DP it could have done with a bit longer in the mash. I think this was also the case with my case swap beer which was 30% rye and also looks like mud :(

Pics will follow.

I had my last bottle of Rye beer the other day which was made at the Big Brew day over 3 years ago. Still the colour of Brisbane River water, even after all these years - Still tasted pretty good mind :)

Cheers Ross

update
slightly carbed and already, i can say, DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER! :)

edit - have posted the recipe above, but the wheat is weyermann dark wheat and the pale malt was galaxy.

Love this combo. Can't wait to experiment with a different yeast, but it's a little ripper!

jye, 25% rye seems the norm, and i went with around 20%. maybe youre pushing the limits of rye?

i used around 40% in mine (all gone now) and it was quite murky. IT cleared up a bit after 12 month but that was the last of it.

Oily it right...... viscous is a good word for it.

may have to brew another soon, i miss that spicy hit and that syripey but crisp feel in the mouth.

Trully an extrodinary style.

Horray for mash brewing, how else would we try these things.

cheers

I'll confirm Tony's appraisal of his Roggebier.

Yep, it was oily and viscous, and it had a strong rye taste (like liquid pumpernickel bread).

So maybe 40% is a bit high for a daily drinker, but it might make a great thick Barley-Ryewine at 9%+.

Craigm's roggenbier in the 2007 Christmas in July case was very drinkable, at about 20% rye , IIRC.

Cheers
Seth :p

So maybe 40% is a bit high for a daily drinker, but it might make a great thick Barley-Ryewine at 9%+.

;) great..... Juuuuuuuuuust GREAT.

How am i suposed to get around to brewing all these nice beers. That sounds like a tops concept.

Stop putting ideas in my head :p

cheers

Latest posts

Back