Roggenbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just gonna add my 2C as this is the first time i'v noticed this thread. made my first roggenbier weekend befor last

23L
18IBU

45.5% rye malt
22.7% munich 1
22.7% Pilsner
8.2% caramunich 1
0.9% carafa spec. II

tettanang and 60M and 8G tettnang at 15 mins

wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

i mashed at 64-66 (lost 2degree's over the hour) and i'm kind of hopeing that might dry it out a little as the wort is very 'thick'. the sparge is frekkin awfull, i read somewhere 2L of rice hulls will do, that is so wrong! a kilo of the stuff would be alot better. i had 4 stuck sparges, sucks balls. but ended up with 75% efficiancy which i was surprised by and i was aiming for 70. like others have said the consistancy reminds me of oil and i'm brewing it at the lower end of the temperature scale just to see how it goes (17-18). the beer is for the vic x-mas case but i'm worried it might not be mature enough so maybe i'll hold on to it and put it in the july case instead.

i keep saying i won't brew a roggenbier again, but at the same time i have a kind of "dunkel-roggenbier" recipe that i wouldn't mind trying out as well. god dam i love that caraaroma :)

don't forget the rice hulls!

-Phill

DF,

i didn't use any rice hulls and had one 'stick', but like i said it was very slow.
mashed @ 67*C and fermenting @ 18*C, i'm going with JZ's recipe and advice on ferment temp, is that where you're working from or is this your own ?
know what you mean about the consistency :eek:

Cheers

Yard

yeah Ross just rang me then about the roggenbier and said there was no need for the hulls, hopefully he'll post and explanation up on this thread as i'm bad at explaining things, so don't listen to what i said about adding rice hulls :) and thanks again for the call Ross

yep the recipie and advice was based on jamil's from his podcast but i changed the numbers around a little bit and added tettnang as the last eddition instead of saaz

-Phill

i mashed at 64-66 (lost 2degree's over the hour) and i'm kind of hopeing that might dry it out a little as the wort is very 'thick'. the sparge is frekkin awfull, i read somewhere 2L of rice hulls will do, that is so wrong! a kilo of the stuff would be alot better. i had 4 stuck sparges, sucks balls. but ended up with 75% efficiancy which i was surprised by and i was aiming for 70. like others have said the consistancy reminds me of oil and i'm brewing it at the lower end of the temperature scale just to see how it goes (17-18). the beer is for the vic x-mas case but i'm worried it might not be mature enough so maybe i'll hold on to it and put it in the july case instead.

i keep saying i won't brew a roggenbier again, but at the same time i have a kind of "dunkel-roggenbier" recipe that i wouldn't mind trying out as well. god dam i love that caraaroma :)

don't forget the rice hulls!

-Phill

Hey DF,

Mine finished up at 1.010 and still has the oily slick mouth feel, so I think its just a character of the rye and drying it out wont help.

As for a dunkel-roggenbier a roggenbier is already dunkelish, the guidelines describe it as a dunkelweizen with rye instead of wheat.

Make sure you post a pic once your drinking it :chug:

if you step mash and use the right yeast, you can keep the oily mouth feel but still end up with a dry finish.

What steps did you use? I used a 20 min p-rest before 60 min sac at 65 C.

Hey DF,

Mine finished up at 1.010 and still has the oily slick mouth feel, so I think its just a character of the rye and drying it out wont help.

As for a dunkel-roggenbier a roggenbier is already dunkelish, the guidelines describe it as a dunkelweizen with rye instead of wheat.

Make sure you post a pic once your drinking it :chug:
ta Jye

i just ment something darker than the roggenbier color scale and also higher in alcohol, perhaps roggenbock would have been a better discription? :) *has thoughts of a roggen dopple wiezen bock*

will do! i havn't added to the 'what are you drinking thread' for some time now actually!

-Phill

my latest roggen with T-58, love that rye...........

rogbel.jpg

thanks mate,
the T-58 works well with the rye, finished a bit high @ 1014, going to try the same grain bill with a lager yeast @ lager temp next.
cheers
yard

where's your roggen btw ;)

My 46% Rye double-decocted Roggenbier:

Roggen_1.jpg

The full recipe is here. I decocted at 52C, 67C.
Pulled 30% approx. at 52C held for 20m at 65C to 10m boil
Pulled 40% approx. at 67C held for 20m at 72C to 10m boil
I went with 1kg of rice hulls
Fly sparged for 60-75m approx. ever so gently recircing (slooooow) for a nicely compacted grain bed, once I felt comfortable (with the bed) i upped the runnings to the same speed as a normal brew. No stuck sparge ;) which I was really pleased with.. and I'll tell you, the bed looked like setting-concrete.. would not be fun to do battle with. My advice would be to take your time in sparging this one. Paitence is a virtue.

I used the 3056 Bavarian Wheat cake from my Weizen which I kegged on the same day (as Roggen brew). Shot off within an hour or two. Fermed at 20C.

Overall, it's the most interesting beer I've ever brewed. I've really enjoyed it. The texture, as Tony pointed out, is something truly unique. Velvety, syrupy almost. I don't have any oily elements to my brew, as others noted. I'm very happy with the balance of clove, spice and bananna. I'm getting more (of the aformented) in aroma, and flavour is dominated by the rich malt character from Rye, and I'm guessing the decoctions.

It had been over a month since I'd pulled a Roggen from the keg (savoring it) and first beer I'd pulled was obviously a bit heady. Check out the almost syrupy drip you Roggenheads will enjoy:
Roggen_drip.jpg

It's almost impossible to describe the texture of this beer and how the carbonation struggles to reach the head. I think Tony said it's like everything's in slow montion.. Without really putting much thought into it, I shot a video clip with my digital camera (apologies on the rotated view and qual). It's in .mov format and works in VLC Media Player. Grab it here. It's enough to give you an idea :icon_cheers:

Thanks to Tony and Yardy and those who've contributed to this thread!

Roggen on,
reVox

mine pours exactly the same, it's a bit like a guiness in the way it slowly chases the head up.

nice looking drop mate, thanks for the update, btw, you outdid me in %age by 1, time to go to 50% i think :eek:

cheers
yard

Well after chatting with Yardy and Ross, i'm gonna attempt this beer tommorow morning...

Here's my version;

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Roggen 1
Brewer: Barking Hound Brewhaus and Drinkery
Asst Brewer:
Style: Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 19.00 L
Boil Size: 23.17 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.46 %
1.60 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM) Grain 27.12 %
1.30 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SGrain 22.03 %
0.20 kg Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
35.00 gm Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
1.00 items Banana (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.90 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.70 L of water at 72.7 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 17.38 L of water at 84.2 C 75.0 C

OK....

Now the cluey ones out there would realise that the mash in + mash out does not equal the boil volume.
Ross tells me that he's needed at least 6 extra litres due to grain absorption, so that's the start point. And will prob go up from there..
And the Banana??? well.. I'm using WB-06..

Will let you know how it goes.

Just kegged this one...tasting great :icon_cheers:

hops_002.jpg

Roggenjosh
Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)

Type: All Grain
Date: 19/01/2008
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer Josh
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00

3.30 kg Rye Malt (weyermann) (5.0 EBC) Grain 50.93 %
1.25 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (25.0 EBC) Grain 19.29 %
1.25 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 19.29 %
0.40 kg Crystal Rye Malt (Bairds) (157.6 EBC) Grain 6.17 %
0.20 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 3.09 %
0.08 kg Carafa II (1150.0 EBC) Grain 1.23 %
10.00 gm Pacific Jade [15.20 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
10.00 gm Pacific Jade [15.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
2.00 small Bananas (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs CraftBrewer Weizen (Fermentis #S-08) Yeast-Wheat

Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 19.5 IBU Calories: 489 cal/l

Cheers Ross

Just kegged this one...tasting great :icon_cheers:

View attachment 17505

Roggenjosh
Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)

Type: All Grain
Date: 19/01/2008
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer Josh
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00

3.30 kg Rye Malt (weyermann) (5.0 EBC) Grain 50.93 %
1.25 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (25.0 EBC) Grain 19.29 %
1.25 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 19.29 %
0.40 kg Crystal Rye Malt (Bairds) (157.6 EBC) Grain 6.17 %
0.20 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 3.09 %
0.08 kg Carafa II (1150.0 EBC) Grain 1.23 %
10.00 gm Pacific Jade [15.20 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
10.00 gm Pacific Jade [15.20 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
2.00 small Bananas (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs CraftBrewer Weizen (Fermentis #S-08) Yeast-Wheat

Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 19.5 IBU Calories: 489 cal/l

Cheers Ross

Hey Rossco - did you use your Spunding Valve on this one?

Great name for a beer BTW.

RM

Now the cluey ones out there would realise that the mash in + mash out does not equal the boil volume.
Ross tells me that he's needed at least 6 extra litres due to grain absorption, so that's the start point. And will prob go up from there..
And the Banana??? well.. I'm using WB-06..

Will let you know how it goes.

fixa, I didnt have a problem with absorption when I brewed my 50% rye roggen, but if your batch sparging you should be able to tell after the first sparge anyway. In any case it always good to have some extra on hand.

Hey Rossco - did you use your Spunding Valve on this one?

Great name for a beer BTW.

RM

No, the valves arrived just a little too late - will do on the next one though.

Yes, Josh thought the name was good too, especially as he brewed it :) The bugger is making some mighty fine beers - shame he's not allowed to drink them yet B)

cheers Ross

Hey, that's child slavery isn't it mate... ;)

OT: Heading down to the Lark Distillery in Hobart this arvo, after the glowing recommendation by Merc'sOwn.... Can't wait!

Well she's on the boil now.

6 litres extra was spot on the money for my system/ grain bill....

I ran a f'n slow sparge, really slow. Took 1 3/4 hours to sparge it, having heard all the horror stories.. No drama's at the speed i did it.

Smells bloody beautiful, and really, really thick!!!!

Latest posts

Back