Roggenbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
;) great..... Juuuuuuuuuust GREAT.

How am i suposed to get around to brewing all these nice beers. That sounds like a tops concept.

Stop putting ideas in my head :p

cheers
Yep, that's me. The "ideas" man.

Too many concept beers...

Maybe it's my turn to brew this one and share it with you?

Speaking of "concept" beers, I need to chill and taste Trent's Wheat Trippel (Don de Dieu) clone tonight.

Seth out :p

(P.S. Roggen-rauch could be nice, too :lol: )

;)

10% in a christmass beer could be interesting too. Thinking a nice pale honey cinemon lager would be good for Xmas too

That reminds me.....I forget to grab those rauchbiers from marks when i was there last.

might duck down shortly and grab them.

anyway... back on topic.....

cheers

i treated mine like a normal wheat beer. 43-64-70-78 mash and added 1.5kgs of malted rye. i've always loved the resulting beer but this has added a whole new dimension! :)

Well here she is, its a dark and gloomy day in Brisbane which doesnt help the clarity... but then again I dont think anything will :D

It has all of the weizen characteristics and a slick spiciness which you would expect to go together :huh: but its going down nicely :chug:

IMG_1233.jpg

A malt sandwich for lunch Jye?!
Pace yourself!
Cheers
Stephen.

Just warming up for BABBs "Foreign Beers Night" :D

Hopefully they wont all be lagers <_<

If they are your tastebuds will be seriously compromised!
Cheers
Stephen.

Hmmm.

Slight tangent .. I want to make a witbier tomorrow ... and Ive been wanting to do a rye for some time now. Alas, I am unable tog et hold of any rye malt ...

I can, however, get hold of about two kilos of unmalted rye. i understand that the color that rye would give to a wit would be more of a peetermanish color, but thats fine .. its the flavour id like to try.

So, how would unmalted rye go in a wit instead of the raw wheat? I have plenty of rice hulls, so Im not too scared of the sparge ... yet.

Anyone used it or done this?

Craigm's roggenbier in the 2007 Christmas in July case was very drinkable, at about 20% rye , IIRC.

Cheers
Seth :p

You are correct Les - it was 20% rye / 20% wheat / 57% pils / 3% carawheat.
Even at 20% the beer did still seem a little viscous.
Definately one to make again.

Cheers,

Craig

try the unmalted rye with a protein rest. let us know how it goes.

update

fark! double fark! i like this beer!
it's really got the clove sharpness and i love it!
plenty enough banana and to screwy, yes ferment temp isn't all there is to banana, without a doubt.
i could easily up the rye malt to 25% but that would be my oily limit.
fark nose how you can drink a 50% rye beer Jye. it'd be like the Exxon Valdez

mine was 40% Rye

here are some comments from the NSW state comp judging sheets

Great aroma, spice fruit & some nice yeasty sourness. Good yeast strain picked. Could turn up the volume. (I brewed it at 18 deg. C)
Great beer, get me a fireplace and a plate of cheese. Expression on palate is excellent, fruit, spice, rye. Love the tanginess. Damn near to perfect.
Big but smooth malt character, yet still finishes to a dry, inviting, give me more!
An excellent example of an uncommon style. Balance of malt and spice from the rye component is very well done. Good beer, great effort.
Distinct rye aroma. Accompanying spiciness. Clove phenolic / chlorophenolics. Great for style.
Malt. Light spicy flavour. Low bitterness. Clove character evident. Finishes dry with somewhat tart character. Good for style, perhaps a little sweet.

cheers

Guys,
planning a Roggenbier atm,
45% Rye, bittered to 19 IBU with Tettnang and Saaz, going with the WB-06 @ 18*C, is this too cool do you think ?

Cheers

Yard

Guys,
planning a Roggenbier atm,
45% Rye, bittered to 19 IBU with Tettnang and Saaz, going with the WB-06 @ 18*C, is this too cool do you think ?

Cheers

Yard

Yard - Go 22c mate, this seems the optimum temp for this yeast on trials so far.

cheers Ross

Yard - Go 22c mate, this seems the optimum temp for this yeast on trials so far.

cheers Ross

Thanks mate, i had read that here and will probably go with that but listening to the podcast where i got the recipe from, it's reccommended to ferment the two choices of yeasts, 3068 & WP0300 ( i think ) at 17*C so i tought i might go a bit cooler with WB-06, what will it contribute at lower temps ?

Cheers

Yard

I would put my vote in at 21 - 22. Good balance of Clove and Banana (I got Bubblegum in the froth also).

Colder might accentuate the Clove - when I found at 21-22 there was plenty.

The 3333 fact sheet recommends 23 as the top for this yeast BTW.

RM

Thanks Rog,

I think I'll meet it halfway and go @ 20*C, i'm sooooo looking forward to brewing/trying this beer, i'm drinking a 30% Rye IPA atm and loving it, probably the best i've brewed imvho.

Cheers

Yard

geeeez.....

the bloody sparge of a 45% Rye is not an easy thing to do !

it only stuck once but a veeeery slooooooow runoff.

reading today that some Roggenbiers can be up to 65% Rye :eek:

Yard

just gonna add my 2C as this is the first time i'v noticed this thread. made my first roggenbier weekend befor last

23L
18IBU

45.5% rye malt
22.7% munich 1
22.7% Pilsner
8.2% caramunich 1
0.9% carafa spec. II

tettanang and 60M and 8G tettnang at 15 mins

wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

i mashed at 64-66 (lost 2degree's over the hour) and i'm kind of hopeing that might dry it out a little as the wort is very 'thick'. the sparge is frekkin awfull, i read somewhere 2L of rice hulls will do, that is so wrong! a kilo of the stuff would be alot better. i had 4 stuck sparges, sucks balls. but ended up with 75% efficiancy which i was surprised by and i was aiming for 70. like others have said the consistancy reminds me of oil and i'm brewing it at the lower end of the temperature scale just to see how it goes (17-18). the beer is for the vic x-mas case but i'm worried it might not be mature enough so maybe i'll hold on to it and put it in the july case instead.

i keep saying i won't brew a roggenbier again, but at the same time i have a kind of "dunkel-roggenbier" recipe that i wouldn't mind trying out as well. god dam i love that caraaroma :)

don't forget the rice hulls!

-Phill

Latest posts

Back