RIMS step mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackened

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm nearing completion of my RIMS and started thinking about how to use it.

I'm assuming that the procedure would go something like this:
  1. Heat liquor to somewhere near the initial rest temp on the schedule
  2. Add grist
  3. Recirc with output temp @ desired rest temp for duration of rest (or wait until mash is at rest temp then set your timer?)
  4. As above for next rest (or mashout though I usually don't bother with one)
  5. Fly sparge and drain into kettle via powered RIMS tube to reach boil quicker?
My question is in regards to the exact method of reaching the desired rest temp. If the output from the RIMS is below the desired set point (even when max power is applied), do you throttle back the flow rate to get the desired temperature, or simply allow to continue circulating at a lower than desired temperature until the output reaches the rest temp?

I've only ever done single step infusion mashes prior to this and that was a long time ago. I did mess with a home-made herms deal but never had a decent pump until recently and never did anything other than test/play with it.

Thanks all :D

It may be wise to recirc the mash until clear before firing the element, to avoid getting the element all gunked up. check the RIMS thread in gear and equipment for more tips, also ensure you clean your rims well between brews.

MastersBrewery said:
It may be wise to recirc the mash until clear before firing the element, to avoid getting the element all gunked up. check the RIMS thread in gear and equipment for more tips, also ensure you clean your rims well between brews.
Thanks, yeah I intend on recirculating.

You're right of course, I should have tacked this onto the RIMS thread. *smacks head*

I've read through the entire RIMS thread but didn't see an answer to that particular point I was asking about. Once I have the rig up and running I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to pester everyone with lol

Blackened said:
Ok, so I'm nearing completion of my RIMS and started thinking about how to use it.

2. Add grist
  3. Recirc with output temp @ desired rest temp for duration of rest (or wait until mash is at rest temp then set your timer?)
  5. Fly sparge and drain into kettle via powered RIMS tube to reach boil quicker?
My question is in regards to the exact method of reaching the desired rest temp. If the output from the RIMS is below the desired set point (even when max power is applied), do you throttle back the flow rate to get the desired temperature, or simply allow to continue circulating at a lower than desired temperature until the output reaches the rest temp?

I've only ever done single step infusion mashes prior to this and that was a long time ago. I did mess with a home-made herms deal but never had a decent pump until recently and never did anything other than test/play with it.

I don't change the flow on my RIMS, I get a reasonable flow I am happy with, ensuring my grain bed is not compacting too much & reducing hte outflow, then I just wait until the RIMS gets the wort temp up to the desired set temp.

You can insulate your MT. hoses, etc, to help reduce heat losses resulting in a slightly quicker temp ramp time.

Blackened said:

2. Add grist

I use a HERMS so I can't speak from direct experience, but my understanding is that wort scorching can be a concern with RIMS. MastersBrewery's comment about recirculating until clear is one measure you can take to address this. I've also read that at protein rest temperatures, burning the wort is easy, depending on the grist. There's discussion about that problem elsewhere on this site.

I'd have thought that slowing the flow would only make this worse. Bear in mind also that the temperature of entire mash will lag behind the output of the RIMS tube anyway, so if you slow the flow to get the desired output temp, more of your mash liquid remains behind lognger without being heated. Obviously the main body of the mash will get to the desired temperature with or without reducing flow. Maybe do some testing with different flow rates and see what effect it has on the rise time in the mash itself?

With regard to fly sparging: if the wort is clear (which it should be by the end of the mash) there shouldn't be a problem getting it to the kettle via the RIMS with the element at full power. However, what I like to do with the HERMS is place the HX between the HLT and MT for fly sparging, so that I get more precise control over the sparge water temperature, and it cleans the HX at the same time.

raven19 said:
I don't change the flow on my RIMS, I get a reasonable flow I am happy with, ensuring my grain bed is not compacting too much & reducing hte outflow, then I just wait until the RIMS gets the wort temp up to the desired set temp.

You can insulate your MT. hoses, etc, to help reduce heat losses resulting in a slightly quicker temp ramp time.
Thanks for the input Raven. I will be insulating as much as possible as you suggest. MT is a cooler, but I still need to wrap the lines etc...
So I take it you feel the mash temp is the important factor, as opposed to the outflow temp of the HX? I know some have said that they feel the outflow temperature is more important than the overall mash temp. Just trying to get a handle on all these new aspects that RIMS has introduced. :D

squirt in the turns said:
I use a HERMS so I can't speak from direct experience, but my understanding is that wort scorching can be a concern with RIMS. MastersBrewery's comment about recirculating until clear is one measure you can take to address this. I've also read that at protein rest temperatures, burning the wort is easy, depending on the grist. There's discussion about that problem elsewhere on this site.

I'd have thought that slowing the flow would only make this worse. Bear in mind also that the temperature of entire mash will lag behind the output of the RIMS tube anyway, so if you slow the flow to get the desired output temp, more of your mash liquid remains behind lognger without being heated. Obviously the main body of the mash will get to the desired temperature with or without reducing flow. Maybe do some testing with different flow rates and see what effect it has on the rise time in the mash itself?

With regard to fly sparging: if the wort is clear (which it should be by the end of the mash) there shouldn't be a problem getting it to the kettle via the RIMS with the element at full power. However, what I like to do with the HERMS is place the HX between the HLT and MT for fly sparging, so that I get more precise control over the sparge water temperature, and it cleans the HX at the same time.
Hmmmm that's something to bear in mind, a slow flow increasing the risk of scorching. If the outflow temperature is only reaching the desired rest temperature, wouldn't that suggest that the internal element temperature was also ok? On second thoughts maybe not.

As mentioned above by Raven, I assume you put more emphasis on the mash temperature as a whole, rather than the output from the HX?

HX between HLT and MT during fly sparge, interesting. If I put it between MT and kettle, I'd have to be extremely careful not to let it run dry too. My HX is plumbed in and it isn't a simple matter to reroute flow. Might be better to leave it off and just switch the kettle on ASAP.

Thanks Squirt

Back