Replacent Cube Lids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
I've recently started fermenting my beer in the same cube I no-chill in and am having some trouble with overflowing krausen. I'd like to drill holes in the cube lids to attach blow off tubes but this would make my cubes useless for no-chill. Does anyone know if lids for cubes can be purchased separately anywhere? I use willow cubes and one kookaburra but the lids seem to be interchangeable with most cubes.
Cheers

Pretty sure they're dime a dozen and largely interchangeable so any source should do (* see caveat below). Cospak should certainly be able to help if you can't get them anywhere else, but IIRC they might have a minimum order threshold which would help you look harder/ elsewhere!
* FWIW, the BMW cube red lids don't seem to be worth squat, very few seal and have been replaced by left over lids from other retired cubes.

I've recently started fermenting my beer in the same cube I no-chill in and am having some trouble with overflowing krausen. I'd like to drill holes in the cube lids to attach blow off tubes but this would make my cubes useless for no-chill. Does anyone know if lids for cubes can be purchased separately anywhere? I use willow cubes and one kookaburra but the lids seem to be interchangeable with most cubes.
Cheers

If you can't find any, try making a glad wrap lid for it and inserting a tube through (using more wrap to make it seal).

You get much overflow? I don't usually but I also ferment in a water bath so what I get is easily contained and cleaned.

Have seen them for sale on their own in Mitre 10. Though if you called the plastics place and asked for say...5 if they didn't take payment i'm sure some tallies of their fav beer would get it over the line.

Cheers

Does your cube have a tap fitted? If so you can just leave the lid you have on tight, tip the cube on its side with the tap side up. Then push a bit of hose on the tap for a blow off (dont forget to open the tap). When the fermentation dies down turn off the tap gently stand the cube upright and loosen the lid or replace it with glad wrap.

Pretty sure they're dime a dozen and largely interchangeable so any source should do (* see caveat below). Cospak should certainly be able to help if you can't get them anywhere else, but IIRC they might have a minimum order threshold which would help you look harder/ elsewhere!
* FWIW, the BMW cube red lids don't seem to be worth squat, very few seal and have been replaced by left over lids from other retired cubes.
Cheers mate, looks like a minimum purchase of 460 so I'll keep searching.

If you can't find any, try making a glad wrap lid for it and inserting a tube through (using more wrap to make it seal).

You get much overflow? I don't usually but I also ferment in a water bath so what I get is easily contained and cleaned.
Cheers, I'll give that a go if I can't track any lids down. This is only the second batch I've fermented in cube, first one was filled to around the 20l mark and had some overflow but not too bad. This one (Irish red og. 1.057 with Wyeast 1084 Irish ale @ 19c) is going nuts. Pitched last night, checked this morning and found a little bit of wort in the bottom of the fridge from overflow but not much. Got home this afternoon and there was foam and wort all over place. Even now it's pushing foam out the cap ( which is only just turned on to the thread) was thinking maybe infection but it smells really good and tastes fine, can't rule it out though. Hopefully it'll turn out ok.

Have seen them for sale on their own in Mitre 10. Though if you called the plastics place and asked for say...5 if they didn't take payment i'm sure some tallies of their fav beer would get it over the line.
Cheers mate will check out mitre ten when I get the chance

Does your cube have a tap fitted? If so you can just leave the lid you have on tight, tip the cube on its side with the tap side up. Then push a bit of hose on the tap for a blow off (dont forget to open the tap). When the fermentation dies down turn off the tap gently stand the cube upright and loosen the lid or replace it with glad wrap.
Good idea but the cube won't fit sideways in my fridge

Cheers

I bought a couple at supercheap auto recently. I think they were about $2 each

Cheers

I've got one, with a hole and a grommet, that I don't use, but it hasn't got a rubber seal inside the lid. If you have no luck finding one send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

I've got one, with a hole and a grommet, that I don't use, but it hasn't got a rubber seal inside the lid. If you have no luck finding one send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Cheers mate, appreciate it. I'll see how mitre 10 and super cheap go and pm you if no good

I've got 2 that you can have as well, if you dont have any luck.

Cheers

Hi. We have a pretty continual source from all our fresh wort containers, etc, which only get thrown into recycling bins. If you want some lids, give the Wacol store a ring on Friday (07 3271 1373 - I will be away for the next two days), and I can post a few to you.

Another option is to use a few drops of fermcap, also called antifoam.

I've been using it close to a year now, it's inexpensive and does a good job of keeping the krausen down . I ferment in cubes as well and haven't had any blowouts since.

Another option is to use a few drops of fermcap, also called antifoam.

I've been using it close to a year now, it's inexpensive and does a good job of keeping the krausen down . I ferment in cubes as well and haven't had any blowouts since.
That sounds good, where do you buy it from? I saw grain and grape has a foam control product http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7485 . Is this the same thing? How effective is it? Does it practically eliminate krausen or just reduce it a bit? Cheers

yep, that's it. Ross sells it as well but I don't think it's on the website.

It reduces krausen, but doesn't eliminate it completely. Works for me.

yep, that's it. Ross sells it as well but I don't think it's on the website.

It reduces krausen, but doesn't eliminate it completely. Works for me.

are they 63mm by chance?

Cheers

Sorry a little off the OP.
When you no chill your cube do you fill it and leave no air? If so you will have no head space so Krausen will certainly over flow. If not how much air do you leave, and aren't you afraid of infection / oxidation?

On the lids. I have a few types of cubes / Jerries and if I mix the lids they don't seal properly for no chill, so I keep each lid with the cube, excpet it does not matter where I have identical cubes becuase then the lids can swap.

Fear_n_loath

Back