Removing Grain From Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudfarmerboy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I use a converted 50 litre keg for my mash tun. When mashing is complete, I lift the keg off its frame and empty the spent grain out. I have been thinking about better ways to do this without lifting the keg. What I am thinking of trying is using a Wet/Dry vacuum cleaner to suck the grain out. Bunnings sell industrial wet and dry vacuum cleaners that might do the job.
Has anyone else used a vacuum cleaner to suck out their mash tun and how did it go?
Thank You

Tilt it like Sqyre does.

post_2137_1172989771_thumb.jpg

TP

Hello everyone.
I use a converted 50 litre keg for my mash tun. When mashing is complete, I lift the keg off its frame and empty the spent grain out. I have been thinking about better ways to do this without lifting the keg. What I am thinking of trying is using a Wet/Dry vacuum cleaner to suck the grain out. Bunnings sell industrial wet and dry vacuum cleaners that might do the job.
Has anyone else used a vacuum cleaner to suck out their mash tun and how did it go?
Thank You

Not me... but remember to empty out the dust bag when your done!

puhyeeewwww!

Reminds me I still have some grain in the tun out the backyard, from Sunday :icon_vomit:

At first I though - cool idea
But then I though another peice of equipment to clean up.

Why not use an old plastic jug and scoop the bulk out first, then carry the keg to the cleaning area.

QldKev

Damn - too slow. Bribie beat me to it.

Moving from biab to 3v this is the one thng that causes me a PITA. I just lift off the rig, tip it in the garden and hose lie buggery. Biab was much more simple in this regard for sure.

I shovel it out into buckets to carry around to the compost. Much easier than hoisting the Bag from BIAB and trying to tip that in the compost. Invariably it would result in a very messy bag :icon_vomit:

Would love to add a tip aspect to the stand and may do yet, but probably not until after I upgrade the MT.

I would be very reluctant to go vacuum...even a commercial one. A lot of coin and I would think a bit of risk that it wouldn't do it quickly, and it would get clogged.

I wonder what they do in commercial breweries - they probably have tons of it to move - literally.

I wonder what they do in commercial breweries - they probably have tons of it to move - literally.

one massive shovel and a wheelbarrow usually does the trick.

Hello everyone.
Thank You

gday spud,

where's the outlet on your tun ?

mine's in the base and I fitted a 'Y' piece to the outlet so i could fit a dump valve for getting rid of the spent grain, i scoop the bulk of the grain out by hand and then just lift out the false bottom and hose the rest out of the valve into a 20 litre bucket under the tun.

have a look at post 144, there's a pic showing the underside of the tun with the dual outlet.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...3423&st=140

cheers

Dave

open the Lauter Tun, switch rakes in reverse, drop it into auger to spent grain silo

At first I though - cool idea
But then I though another peice of equipment to clean up.

Why not use an old plastic jug and scoop the bulk out first, then carry the keg to the cleaning area.

QldKev

Kev, thats basically what I do, just thought a wet/dry vac might have been a goer. But as you say, another piece of equipment to clean.

gday spud,

where's the outlet on your tun ?

mine's in the base and I fitted a 'Y' piece to the outlet so i could fit a dump valve for getting rid of the spent grain, i scoop the bulk of the grain out by hand and then just lift out the false bottom and hose the rest out of the valve into a 20 litre bucket under the tun.

have a look at post 144, there's a pic showing the underside of the tun with the dual outlet.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...3423&st=140

cheers

Dave

That looks good Dave, my outlet is on the side.

:lol:

I lol literally every time I see that pump bracket... you shoulda made just a bit heavier, Dave...

I lol literally every time I see that pump bracket... you shoulda made just a bit heavier, Dave...

i keep tellin ya, i didn't make it, i cut it off a job i was demolishing and welded it to the stand :)

think i'll put a gusset in it though, looks like a stress point..

Latest posts

Back