RecipeDB - Roggenbier by the Yardglass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score

Roggenbier by the Yardglass

Wheat - Weizen/Weissbier
All Grain
* * * * - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Roggenbier is not available as a style in the menu for some reason so it's down as a weizen.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.5 kg TF Pale Rye Malt
1.6 kg Weyermann Munich I
1.4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
0.15 kg Weyermann Carared
0.15 kg TF Crystal
0.08 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 60mins)
15 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

1 g DCL Yeast K-97 - SafAle German Ale
26L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.051 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 15.6 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.8%
  • Colour 28 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Roggenbier by the Yardglass

What's the cellaring needs for this style. Do you drink it green like a weizen or does it like a few months in the bottle to mature? Got 5kg of rye just waiting for a recipe like this .. I'm thinking if it keeps well to put away for a July caseswap.

Rice gulls...stat!

(I'd use a liquid yeast, 3068 or WLP300.)

Maybe some rice hulls should be added to help the sparge.

About 250g of rice hulls should do it. That said I did my first rye experiments without hulls and had no problems, so I look at them more as insurance that as a must, but for this rye forward brew, go the hulls! :p

I add some gulls to just about everything. They're cheap, and there's nothing worse than a constipated mash.

What's the cellaring needs for this style. Do you drink it green like a weizen or does it like a few months in the bottle to mature? Got 5kg of rye just waiting for a recipe like this .. I'm thinking if it keeps well to put away for a July caseswap.

i normally crash chill in the primary for at least 5 days before kegging with this yeast, i suppose with a weizen yeast you could drink it green but it just keeps getting better with the K-97 yeast, a nice slow sparge is the key here and go a few degrees above your normal mash out & lauter temps, also whatever your normal water to grain ratio is add 0.500ml per kg.

Maybe some rice hulls should be added to help the sparge.

You can use gulls if that's how you roll but if you follow the above it shouldn't be necessary.

Cheers

Dave

i normally crash chill in the primary for at least 5 days before kegging with this yeast, i suppose with a weizen yeast you could drink it green but it just keeps getting better with the K-97 yeast, a nice slow sparge is the key here and go a few degrees above your normal mash out & lauter temps, also whatever your normal water to grain ratio is add 0.500ml per kg.

You can use gulls if that's how you roll but if you follow the above it shouldn't be necessary.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Yardy - might cube after fermentation for a bit of CC then bottle in late June for a July swap. You NSW Xmas in July swappers now know what you are getting!

Latest posts

Back