RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasnt due to the malt. It's an infection I'd say. Boiling pils malts for an hour is fine (pretty much always). DMS smells like vege soup, not meat or cat piss. That may be more like skunking from being in the sun (or a UV light too).
Hope this helps.
BTW - I boil for 90 mins none-the-less.

i doubt it was the sun or uv light, was kept in quite dark conditions always

looks like i might have an infection on my hands

Just popped my AG Cherry on Sunday with this recipe. Cant wait to try it. Its fermenting away nicely. Jeez it looked good going into the fermenter. The colour is spot on! Very bright.

Dylo

Just popped my AG Cherry on Sunday with this recipe. Cant wait to try it. Its fermenting away nicely. Jeez it looked good going into the fermenter. The colour is spot on! Very bright.

Dylo

Yes, it is a good beer. I make it a lot as it is a house beer here. Everyone that has tried it, likes it. You're sure to love it too.
The problem though is, it is a house beer and gets demolished far too quickly, therefore I have to make another batch (I do 50L at a time). Then I dont get around to making as many on my 'to brew' list as I should...

Yes, it is a good beer. I make it a lot as it is a house beer here. Everyone that has tried it, likes it. You're sure to love it too.
The problem though is, it is a house beer and gets demolished far too quickly, therefore I have to make another batch (I do 50L at a time). Then I dont get around to making as many on my 'to brew' list as I should...

heheh yeh it's a good drop alright................I have been making it wrong, I have been starting of with higher hop additions at the start of the boil and then less towards the end, giving me a bitter beer, by around 9-10 IBU pionts, still a great beer, I reckon I'll follow the recipe this time and see what the difference is.
good hop combo though with this recipe.

Hi Tony and All,

I am going to try this for sure, as a partial (so something similar to this), will be my first real partial in my urn, BIAB.

Have you ever tried this with a lager yeast. I reckon it would be nice, say 34/70 or WLP830 (same thing)....Obviously it will make a different beer, but it will have the wonderful cascase/bsaaz combo.

PS...I only have saaz at the moment, not B-Saaz, would it be worth me getting B-Saaz or just use up the Saaz?

rendo

YEah its not as hoppy.

Carahell will work fine. Will be a bit maltier but its a wonderful malt. I use a lot of it..... usually in conjunction with carapils.

Dont bother with the MO......... just stick with pils and use the carahell. Will be great

cheers

Hi Tony and All,

I am going to try this for sure, as a partial (so something similar to this), will be my first real partial in my urn, BIAB.

Have you ever tried this with a lager yeast. I reckon it would be nice, say 34/70 or WLP830 (same thing)....Obviously it will make a different beer, but it will have the wonderful cascase/bsaaz combo.

PS...I only have saaz at the moment, not B-Saaz, would it be worth me getting B-Saaz or just use up the Saaz?

rendo

Lager yeast......... cant see a problem with it as long as its no too malty. You want the hops to shine.

NOrmal SAAZ and B SAAZ are line comparing chalk and cheese............ ger the B SAAZ!

Thanks for the tip about the b saaz.....i would have just used normal saaz otherwise.

rendo

Lager yeast......... cant see a problem with it as long as its no too malty. You want the hops to shine.

NOrmal SAAZ and B SAAZ are line comparing chalk and cheese............ ger the B SAAZ!

Howdy, thinking of doing this tomorrow... I dont have carapils and notice in the threads someone used carahell which I'll use.. Does produce more malt flavour? if so I've tried the below recipe. I've dropped the carahell by 100gm and upped the wheat by 100gm.. also only have 60gm of cascade hops so I've lowered them a little.. does this recipe look ok? i know it'll still come out tasting beer but how good. :) oh and changed B saaz with Amarillo since i have plenty...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 51.58 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.77 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 68.70 %
1.65 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 19.63 %
0.59 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 7.03 %
0.39 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 4.64 %
7.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (45 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (45 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
11.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (20 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.40 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 21.90 L of water at 73.0 C 65.6 C

Notes:
------
Changed the B Saaz with Amarillo

found some carapils from local brewshop they're just brewcraft but i'll give them a bash.. still using Amarillo though... see how it turns out.

found some carapils from local brewshop they're just brewcraft but i'll give them a bash.. still using Amarillo though... see how it turns out.

Is that the one in Ironbark or is there another one in Bendigo that I don't know about.

Eaglehawk road.. its a kits shop but has brewcraft grain and hops.. wouldn't buy hops there though..

Tony,

I've got my first batch of this fermenting now. What is your opinion on dry hopping this with Cascade?

Stuart.

Howdy, thinking of doing this tomorrow... I dont have carapils and notice in the threads someone used carahell which I'll use.. Does produce more malt flavour? if so I've tried the below recipe. I've dropped the carahell by 100gm and upped the wheat by 100gm.. also only have 60gm of cascade hops so I've lowered them a little.. does this recipe look ok? i know it'll still come out tasting beer but how good. :) oh and changed B saaz with Amarillo since i have plenty...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 51.58 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.77 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 68.70 %
1.65 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 19.63 %
0.59 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 7.03 %
0.39 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 4.64 %
7.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (45 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (45 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
11.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (20 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.40 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 21.90 L of water at 73.0 C 65.6 C

Notes:
------
Changed the B Saaz with Amarillo

That looks like a top recipe mate. Not exactly how I would replicate the beer but it should turn out very well. Re-hydrate the yeast correctly if you don't already and a healthy quick ferment will help to achieve the clean yeast profile of Bright Ale.

Just an update on my 1st AG brew using this recipe. Its been in the bottle a couple of months now and its a beautiful beer! Sure some of the aroma hops have died off but everyone loves it.

The recipeDB was followed exactly apart from using 50% JWM Pils Export, and 50% Wayermann Pils for the base mal (As my LHB store was short). Compared it side by side with a LCBA when it was 3 weeks in the bottle. Here's what we observed.

Colour was significally lighter in the clone (this may be due to the mixture of pils malts)
Aroma was quite different. We couldnt put our finger on it, maybe slightly different proportions of the hops in the recipe would create the aroma in the commercial version?
Taste however was so close we couldnt notice a swap in drinks when alternating sips.

Thanks for the recipe Tony i will be making it again.

Dylo

Tony,

i am wanting to give your LCBA recipe a go as it looks like being a cracker. I love the commercial example of this beer, but yours seems to get rave reviews. How do you do the 0min hop additions. Have read previous posts and it seems you don't like dry hopping so i was wondering when exactly in the process do you do them and how?

I have put the recipe from the database into beersmith and scaled it down to 12lt batch as i am trying to get my AG processes down pat. Ordered grains and hops as per the scaled down recipe...

Cheers mate,

Nath

I knocked up a batch of this recently. Only change was the use of w1056. First time use of Cascade - very impressed with the result. Enjoying a bottle right now - very tasty. A pleasant change from all the ESB and stout I have been drinking the last few months. I reckon this will go down a treat during the warmer months. So impressed I will be brewing another batch this weekend.

Great recipe - cheers Tony.

Edit: just reading my notes - also dry hopped with 15g of Cascade.

Tony,

i am wanting to give your LCBA recipe a go as it looks like being a cracker. I love the commercial example of this beer, but yours seems to get rave reviews. How do you do the 0min hop additions. Have read previous posts and it seems you don't like dry hopping so i was wondering when exactly in the process do you do them and how?

I have put the recipe from the database into beersmith and scaled it down to 12lt batch as i am trying to get my AG processes down pat. Ordered grains and hops as per the scaled down recipe...

Cheers mate,

Nath

0 Min hopping is easy mate...... when the timmer goes off to say the boil is finnished, turn off the heat and drop in the hops. They dont really boil... just steep as you chill the wort.

0 Min hopping is easy mate...... when the timmer goes off to say the boil is finnished, turn off the heat and drop in the hops. They dont really boil... just steep as you chill the wort.

Tony, would you say if someone was no-chilling that the 0 minute hops would be more like dry or maybe cube hopped?

By all means not trying to open the no chill hoping door argument just asking for the benefit of others.. Oh, and me!

Latest posts

Back