RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my first proper attempt at this recipe today (I did a bastardised version of it while still learning about my AG setup 2 months or so ago).

Smells amazing, the sample tasted great. Probaly a touch hoppier thatn I expected, but that suits me.

My Fg was 1.014, my EBC was a bit darker than the recipe for some reason, and the IBU's were about 27.8...so a touch higher than the Recipe DB version.

My moteuka was %8.9 and my cascade %5 so I had to adjust the earlier bittering additions to keep it under control, but so far so good. I can only imagine how good this is going to taste at my summer solstice party (if any of it is left).

Thanks for sharing Tony (and everyone else with tips). :icon_cheers:

Now I've just got to get my exams behind me so I can make use of the mountain of fuggles and ekg I just ordered...(a landlord and a red on the books next...).

Made a small batch of this for my first AG attempt, scaled down in Beersmith.

The smell was amazing! A really big tease, be great if it turns out half as good as it smells.

cheers for this recipe and all the great info

15 days in the bottle. Tried it last night. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me. F*cking gold. Great recipe, thanks again.

Te Amarillo subbed for b-saaz version has been register well :) I love the hoppy tone of it too. The proper attempt is still in the fermenter, but gosh it smelt good and I can bet the b-saaz tastes even better than it smells. Thanks for th recipe Tony. And ESP for the scaled version, even the evap rate seemed pretty much spot on for what you supplied.

Hi Everyone,

Could I use BB Pale malt as a sub for the Pils and Vienna?
Also could the 1056 yeast be used instead of the california ale? (as i have this in stock)

Hi Everyone,

Could I use BB Pale malt as a sub for the Pils and Vienna?
Also could the 1056 yeast be used instead of the california ale? (as i have this in stock)
1056 is perfect for this beer.

BB Ale could easily be substituted for pilsner malt with little difference, but the vienna is kind of needed for its maltiness.

1056 is perfect for this beer.

BB Ale could easily be substituted for pilsner malt with little difference, but the vienna is kind of needed for its maltiness.

Okay then,

Adjusted recipe for a batch of 26L..

Couldn't get my dirty little hands on B Saaz by brew day. As a result subbed in Perle for bittering (70%ish of IBU) and flavoured with cascade as well as aroma.

So excited bout this brew.. Was just wondering if anyone can predict the outcome! Malt's all the same, and yeast is WLP001...

Legends..

It will be fine...... but B Saaz is a massive part of the beer.

Enjoy it.... get some B Saaz and make it again.

im making this again on staurday.

I have B Saaz flowers and US Cascade pellets.

Just smasked a pack of WLP001.

Ooooooooo im excited. I love this beer!

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the recipe, I made your version 3 and am suitably impressed, very easy drinker, not sure how long this batch will last :icon_chickcheers:

Making this on Saturday too, for the second time.

This time around I'm replacing the carapils with carahell. Plus I'll be getting enough Cascade this time so I can following the hopping correctly. Last time I had it weighted more towards the Bsaaz, and I found it a bit too much for my liking. Plus I'm dropping the dry hopping.

I will be making it to the origional recipe...... which after much experimentation, has proved to be the best IMO. I loved all the others but the origional is great!

cheers

I will be making it to the origional recipe...... which after much experimentation, has proved to be the best IMO. I loved all the others but the origional is great!

cheers

As opposed to Tony's LCBA III?

Is the original the one in the recipe DB currently?

Tony, thought you'd be interested to know how the Perle bittered version of your recipe went down.. Bloody well.

Onto my last litre as we speak..

It's no LCBA, but a great starting point.

Going to get those grubby hands on some Motueka hopefully real soon and throw down a double. Any of the sponsors open this week?

Legend.

As opposed to Tony's LCBA III?

Is the original the one in the recipe DB currently?

Tony, thought you'd be interested to know how the Perle bittered version of your recipe went down.. Bloody well.

Onto my last litre as we speak..

It's no LCBA, but a great starting point.

Going to get those grubby hands on some Motueka hopefully real soon and throw down a double. Any of the sponsors open this week?

Legend.

I believe Craftbrewer is open this week.

Ahhh they all have subtle differences...... all great beers in themselves but the origional one in the database is the one i have liked best in the end.

I have made this with amarillo to replace the cascade and it was great with the passionfruit hit, dropped the carapils and used carahell and that upped the maltiness and sweetness.

but the base recipe with just a bit of vienna and some carapills is a brillient combination which i wish i had thought of to claim credit. LC mob thought it up, and a good job they did of it...... i just got close :)

Its been many years since i used the liquid 1056. After being plagued with butterscotch with US-05 on my last couple of attempts, i have gone back to the origional and cant wait to bust out a brew with it!

cheers

Its been many years since i used the liquid WLP001. After being plagued with butterscotch with US-05 on my last couple of attempts, i have gone back to the origional and cant wait to bust out a brew with it!

cheers

Found it doesn't flocculate all that well....

Then, maybe that's because I'm a massive pisshead and can barely leave my bottled beer alone a moment past it reaching carbonation.

Looks like kegging's on the horizon.

My recipe attempt was with the WLP001 'fornia ale, and has turned out a treat!

Look forward to hearing how your tried and true brew goes with the different yeast mate!!

James.

Yepp great recipe mate.
I am smashing a few now after birthing of foal, only 3 weeks in bottle, going down very easy indeed, i can only imagine how much better
its going to get over the coming weeks..will def be brewing this one again.

quick edit... im not using WLP001, as i used many years ago, im using 1056 for the first time :)

brewing is full of firsts :)

quick edit... im not using WLP001, as i used many years ago, im using 1056 for the first time :)

brewing is full of firsts :)

Haha.

No worries!

Still excited bout the outcome!

Keep us all posted mate...

Back