RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning a double batch of this however my last batch came out really cloudy (really tasty, but really cloudy). Any ideas what caused this? It's not chill haze and I racked to secondary (for about a week), but even after 3 weeks in the keg the cloudyness hasn't dissipated at all?

Calcium Chloride does the same as the gypsum only has no sulphate and the chloride adds a saltiness the the beer which accentuates the maltiness and flavours of the beer. It will lower the pH in pale beers and is the additive of choice for beers like this for me. It will disolve in water like sugar..... you cant see it.

You know, that's what I alwyas thought, but I'd only picked it up from here and other places I'd read on the net... At B&T, there was a talk given by (Dr) Simon Brooke-Taylor and he asked the question of the class; What does Calcium Chloride do ? And good old me pipes up and says "It enhances maltiness" To which he replies "No!" (I shrink very small even for a big bloke... :unsure: )

He went on to describe how Calcium Chloride actually accentuates sweetness in a beer, not maltiness. I can't remember the exact science, as it was later in the day... But they say you learn something new all the time

Yeah sweetness is probably on the money. I perceived this as maltiness as aposed to a more pronounced bitterness like CaSO4.

Ive never been good with words.

I only speak on my personal findings from using the stuff in brews...... im no chemist!

On a home brew level......i was fairly close :)

I could have lived with the 'enhances maltiness' definition too; Sometimes maltiness does come across a sweet flavour. Then sometimes when using grains like Vienna and Munich as opposed to Caras and Crystals, it is a drier maltiness rather than sweet, if that makes sense. Anyway, I found Simon's talk very very good, and the man sure has a way of explaining things in down to earth lingo. I'm sure anyone else who sat in on that talk and was relatively new at playing with water chemistry like myself would agree

it is a drier maltiness rather than sweet, if that makes sense.

Completly agree.

I believe the terms are Bready, toasty and buiskety.

Yeah...... you have me really thinking about this.

A decoction will increase maltiness..... whatever its character may be, and if done corectly still give an attenuative wort so as to stop cloying sweetness.

When i have made these hoppy beers like the LCBA, people often say they taste sweet. I have always been a tad perplexed by this becasue they are quite hoppy and bitter.

Must be the CaCl.

Anyways..... back on topic :)

I know what my next brew will be. Might do it next weekend..... to bloody hot to brew tomorrow.

cheers

Hi

I can be using the clone stamp for a while, using the circle clone pixel area guide, then with no apparent reason the circle wont show, only a cross.

Why does it do this?

Thanks

Lost ya buddy? No idea what your talking about?

Im brewing this right now. God the 09 hop flowers smell great, and there all sticky! love it.

Just coming to the boil now :)

Went with:

LCBA 3

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.71
Anticipated EBC: 7.7
Anticipated IBU: 31.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.0 7.50 kg. Weyermann Premium Pilsner Germany 1.038 3
10.0 1.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
10.0 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich II Germany 1.038 26
5.0 0.50 kg. Weyermann Carapils Germany 1.037 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 10.6 45 min.
30.00 g. Cascade Whole 7.80 10.4 45 min.
20.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 3.8 15 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Whole 7.80 3.7 15 min.
40.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 1.3 2 min.
40.00 g. Cascade Whole 7.80 1.3 2 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05

Tasted it going to the keg via the filter and man its hoppy.

I ran out of carapils so i used carahell and its given it a tad more maltiness than usual so should be nice.

cheers

Tasted it going to the keg via the filter and man its hoppy.

I ran out of carapils so i used carahell and its given it a tad more maltiness than usual so should be nice.

cheers

How did it go tony I am due for a lcba3

Hi Tony,

I too would be keen to hear what you think of your latest version. It looks to me like you've gone back to pilsner malt and used Munich instead of Vienna (amongst other changes).

I'm about to do a double batch of the original recipe. I really liked the original recipe however I felt it lacking a little in the malt department. I'm not looking for a major change, just slightly more malt finish.

What would you recommend?

I've thought about Using Weyermann instead of BB galaxy which I used last time, although I have no idea if this will make much of a difference. Or using Ale malt instead of Pilsner.

I've also considered adding some carahell or munich in there instead of some of the Vienna.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Dave.

HI folks.

Its a very nice beer!

I only changed the recipe to brew with what i had on hand.

If i had to mess with the origional recipe to add maltiness...... i would replace the carapils with carahell.

There both a pale crystal malt, just the carahell will impart a sweet honey like maltiness, as aposed to the bready malt for munich which i dont think works as well in pale hoppy beers

cheers

So should I dump the munich11 and go pilsner sub,

Naaa... it doesnt mke all that much difference.

I just used a bit of Munich 2 as i had no vienna and increased the pils and wheat to make up the shortfall.

thats all.

im not the biggest fan of the Munich 2..... just using the last of it up. Cant wait to get another bag of Vienna.

cheers

good beer this one, done it about a month ago, I used hallertau aroma at flame out though.

Got to make another next week, running low, might use amarillo in the next one...............possibly so4 yeast.

SO-4 would be a bad choice. Its ment to be a clean dry refreshing beer. SO-4 tends to scrub the beer of hops too.

If i was going to use an english yeast it would be 1275. dry and crisp.

Tony this beer is awesome. Has been a great test beer sorting out black betty (my kegerator). A bit too much fizz at them moment. oh well. here is a picture. IMG_4897__Large_.jpg

i made this beer on saturday but just realised i used half the vienna malt i should have, i made a mistake scaling down to a 10 litre batch, i thought it looked quite pale ...

anyway, i guess i'll find out how bad the mistake was in a couple of weeks ...

It will be fine. Vienna is quite pale and makes bugger all difference to the final colour.

Its a very flaxable beer and can be stretched all sorts of ways, as i have experimented with.

I may go back the the grass roots next time and brew the origional again

It will be fine. Vienna is quite pale and makes bugger all difference to the final colour.

Its a very flaxable beer and can be stretched all sorts of ways, as i have experimented with.

I may go back the the grass roots next time and brew the origional again

This did not turn OK, It stinks a bit like cat piss, and has a meaty type of flavour.

I mashed for 60 minutes and boiled for 60 minutes, then crash chilled.

I think it might be the DMS from the pilsner, or an infection, but unsure, whatever it is, I dont like it

I will try again with ale male instead of the pilsner

This did not turn OK, It stinks a bit like cat piss, and has a meaty type of flavour.

I mashed for 60 minutes and boiled for 60 minutes, then crash chilled.

I think it might be the DMS from the pilsner, or an infection, but unsure, whatever it is, I dont like it

I will try again with ale male instead of the pilsner

It wasnt due to the malt. It's an infection I'd say. Boiling pils malts for an hour is fine (pretty much always). DMS smells like vege soup, not meat or cat piss. That may be more like skunking from being in the sun (or a UV light too).
Hope this helps.
BTW - I boil for 90 mins none-the-less.

Back