RecipeDB - Little Creatures Bright Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any way to get aroma by using no chill cubes? What about if I add the late addition hops into the cube & let sit overnight, then use a sieve to strain the wort into the fermenter the next day?

Have you considered dry hopping into your fermenter?

makes it grassy to tony, not everyone else. everyones tastes are different. if you go easy on the dry hopping it will work. or alterntivley, cube hop it for aroma (add hops in cube after temp has dropped to say <90 degrees.

makes it grassy to tony, not everyone else. everyones tastes are different. if you go easy on the dry hopping it will work. or alterntivley, cube hop it for aroma (add hops in cube after temp has dropped to say <90 degrees.

I agree. Having brewed this recipe (and Tony's variations) a good 1/2 dozen times, I found my dry-hopped attempt the tastiest. Mind you, I dry hopped using NZ Cascade flowers where (I think) most persons will find flowers a good deal less "grassy' than pellets. I now, generally, brew this using all-flower (Cas/B.Saaz both available@ Craftbrewer).

Dry hopping was done in secondary for a period of 10 days. If you do "overdue it" let it settle and the grassiness will fade over a few weeks. Drink it fresh when palatable.

reVox

I agree. Having brewed this recipe (and Tony's variations) a good 1/2 dozen times, I found my dry-hopped attempt the tastiest. Mind you, I dry hopped using NZ Cascade flowers where (I think) most persons will find flowers a good deal less "grassy' than pellets. I now, generally, brew this using all-flower (Cas/B.Saaz both available@ Craftbrewer).

Dry hopping was done in secondary for a period of 10 days. If you do "overdue it" let it settle and the grassiness will fade over a few weeks. Drink it fresh when palatable.

reVox

How much cascade hop pellet would you use to dry hop a 23L batch?

I just finished racking to secondary and noticed a fair amount of sulfide. Should I let it sit in secondary to clean up or can I use any finings to help it out. I was thinking some copper sulfate?

i'm putting this down tomorrow...but I don't have any vienna malt, just munich. I was going to sub it directly for the vienna, but thought I would ask you guys wether I should sub say 3/4 of the vienna for munich and make up the other 1/4 with pils...

thoughts?

Cheers
Phil

Above posts are correct.

Just cause i dont like Dry hopping doesnt mean its bad. Im just a home brewer like the rest!

People on here will always post there opinions but i recon your bset to try everything and mke your own decisions on whats best.

Dry hopping is great for adding hop character to a beer........... i just dont like the character it gives........ and thats my taste.

90% of people do like it so id say its me thats strange :)

give it a go!

cheers

Edit: Phillip........... sounds perfect!

I just finished racking to secondary and noticed a fair amount of sulfide. Should I let it sit in secondary to clean up or can I use any finings to help it out. I was thinking some copper sulfate?

Interesting you say that. I made the LCBA clone a while ago and got sulphur. It has since dissappeared. Kegged about 16/9/09.
I have made this a few times, never having had this before.
I actually posted about it. Someone replied they were getting it too and suggested the B-Saaz flowers (he and I both used them)
BribieG mentioned something about sulphur and US-05 in the same thread.
I used US-05 for this one and I usually rack to secondary with isinglass cryofine and thought it may have been that - denatured.
I really cant believe its coming from the US-05. Used it too many times and never had sulphur.
Then I found a couple of manky grains buried in the thread of my esky mash tuns bung. I put the off smell down to that.
I must say, it always tasted fine and the smell has gone now (2 weeks roughly)

Too many questions, not enough answers. Maybe you have some similarities?

Put this one down today with B-saaz flowers. Perfect BIAB day not a thing went wrong! :eek: Say why does it come up as 1.056 in beersmith?

because you should have bought promash!

I have just done a side by side with the commercial version. Mine was a scaled 23L batch, fermented with 1056, and dry hopped with 1g/L of cascade pellets for 10days in secondary. I found that the commercial had a more pungent passionfruit hop aroma and a richer sweeter mid palate than mine. I used the original recipe. I had a cold mash (62C) due to the weaher on the day. Could the cold mash attributed to my hb' lach of punch? Would adding more aroma hops help? Sorry about all the q's but was thinking about giving this another go on weekend

Everyones system is diffeent and it will be rare for 2 brewers to produce an identical beer with an identical recipe.

It will be afected on a home brew level by many things including mash style, pH and water chemistry, how the wort is handled, hops storage conditions, age and source, fermentation etc etc.

You need to adjust to suit how you want the beer.

Dont worry too much about if its exactly the same as the comercial example........... Is it what you want to drink.

Your the brewer!

DSCF1042x.jpg

dere it is!

Ive ordered the hops..... another one will be on tap at my place before long.

looking forward to it now after seeing that :)

cheers

Just put a keg of this on to drink last night. Loving it!

Cheers SJ

was thinking what to put in the keg that got emptied on the weekend. Have had this on the to brew again list for ages so the thread popping up has decided it. A keg ready for Christmas.

May get D saaz instead of the B and NZ cascade because that is what is in the freezer... Perhaps a touch of carahell as well.

Just put this in keg ready for gassing up.
Only difference from recipe was that I substituted the VIC bulkbuy Pilsner malt for the Export Pilsner malt.

Tasted on going into the keg - very nice.
I think this is the first of Tony's recipes I've tried - definately will not be the last.

look forward to getting it on tap fast!!

:icon_cheers:

Back