RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged my first crack at this one today. Hydro sample was very nice. There is a 'wine' type of background flavour. Is this what to expect? Maybe its the Styrians? It is however very nice, so looking fwd to this being carbed. Just an interesting hint in the background.

Update.
No wine flavour at all. This beer is a 'will do again' beer.
BTW - I used JW Pils as the base. I do with everything as I like to make lagers and cant justify using different ale malts as bases.
Happy for someone to send me one made with GP or something else as base for comparison :icon_cheers:
I dont know what I am missing, but its a great beer with JW Pils as a base too.
Loving what Styrians brings. Might try them in a pils one day.

Why would your evaporation percentage increase with a longer boil? I would be leaving that alone, 10% is a good boil off rate.

I'd imagine that if 10% of the water volume has evaporated after 60mins of boiling, even more so would evaporate if the boiling time is increased by 50%, surely?

I'd imagine that if 10% of the water volume has evaporated after 60mins of boiling, even more so would evaporate if the boiling time is increased by 50%, surely?

The evaporation rate you use in your brewing software is a rate, in L/hour. Increasing the time of your boil increases the amount of water that boils off but the rate stays the same (technically it doesn't due to changes in volume, SG etc but for the purposes of this discussion let's say it does).

aaah... okay, got it. L/hr. Thanks.

I use Beer Alchemy, I guess this must do this calculation somewhere, up till now I've just been working off 10% for my 1hr boils.

anyone subbed the Styrian's for Willamette?? Ive read in a couple of places that it can be substituted, but others on here have emphasized the importance of Styrian's to this recipe...but I dont have any! (but I do have Willamette).

anyone subbed the Styrian's for Willamette?? Ive read in a couple of places that it can be substituted, but others on here have emphasized the importance of Styrian's to this recipe...but I dont have any! (but I do have Willamette).

Styrian Goldings make Landlord.

You can sub them but it will no longer be Landlord. Same goes for the yeast.

I've made all williamette english ales and find them very enjoyable.

It depends on whether you want a Landlord or some other tasty english bitter. :icon_cheers:

I posted something similar in the what's in the glass (commercial) thread.

My local bottle shop has started getting this in and so far they seem to be in good condition.

As far as the 100% GP claim goes, I am tasting raisins and toast that remind me of simpsons heritage crystal. Heritage is made from maris otter so if there is a similar crystalised GP, that would explain colour and flavour beyond just wort caramelisation.

I have made a few varieties of english best bitter/UK pale ale based on the idea of TT landlord and more recent attempts using heritage are much closer. The hop schedule in this recipe is pretty damn close as far as I can tell (not done side by side) and I reckon if you were super keen to clone rather than just make nice beer* you could do worse than to start with that.

If the crystal in this recipe were simpson's heritage, the hop schedule and yeast identical (to the DB) and the malt was Thomas fawcett GP, you'd be hitting the mark for sure. Caramelise for fun.

*I don't mean to suggest that this hop schedule doesn't make nice beer, because it does.

Update.
No wine flavour at all. This beer is a 'will do again' beer.
BTW - I used JW Pils as the base. I do with everything as I like to make lagers and cant justify using different ale malts as bases.
Happy for someone to send me one made with GP or something else as base for comparison :icon_cheers:
I dont know what I am missing, but its a great beer with JW Pils as a base too.
Loving what Styrians brings. Might try them in a pils one day.

As a lover of UK malts, I will take up your challenge. Won't be exactly this beer, but I am happy to send you a pale English bitter made with 1469, Simpsons maris and heritage, styrians and EKG.

Will trade for one of yours.

Then I'll send you some stuff made with Dingemans and Weyermans pils so you can keep making mainly lagers. Dingemans especially (hard to get) is gold.

Dr Smurto's Landlord. (Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale))

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 10.5 (EBC): 20.7
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)

96.15% Maris Otter Malt 5.0 kg
3.85% Crystal 270 0.200 kg

1.2 g/L Fuggles (4.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) 28g
1 g/L East Kent Golding (4.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) 24g
1.3 g/L Styrian Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) 30g

0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

My rendition of Landlord, increased for 23 ltrs and modified for no chill. Gravity check tastings are very, very nice.

had mine fermenting away at 20 degs for the past 5-days... funny thing is, it had a good 2-inches of krausen rocking - but doesn't appear to be bubbling at all. Airlock remains full as - and the krausen seems to have halved over the last day or so. I keep waiting for it to blow out the airlock, as previous brewers have experienced with this yeast.

One thing is, I tried (and thought I had succeeded) in popping the inner bag in the Wyeast, but failed... ended up quickly dipping some clean scissors in sanitiser, cutting the inner bag up and quickly dropping it all in.

I've only used US05 and Nottingham dry yeast before, is this lack of bubbling common in the Wyeast West Yorkshire liquid yeast?

I've got 20L in a 30L fermenter. And for what it's worth, due to a greatly improved efficiency, I've ended up with a lot more sugar than I had planned... OG was 1054 @ 18 degs.

had mine fermenting away at 20 degs for the past 5-days... funny thing is, it had a good 2-inches of krausen rocking - but doesn't appear to be bubbling at all. Airlock remains full as - and the krausen seems to have halved over the last day or so. I keep waiting for it to blow out the airlock, as previous brewers have experienced with this yeast.

One thing is, I tried (and thought I had succeeded) in popping the inner bag in the Wyeast, but failed... ended up quickly dipping some clean scissors in sanitiser, cutting the inner bag up and quickly dropping it all in.

I've only used US05 and Nottingham dry yeast before, is this lack of bubbling common in the Wyeast West Yorkshire liquid yeast?

I've got 20L in a 30L fermenter. And for what it's worth, due to a greatly improved efficiency, I've ended up with a lot more sugar than I had planned... OG was 1054 @ 18 degs.

If you've got krausen, you've got fermentation. If you don't have visible krausen, you might still have fermentation. If you don't have bubbling in your airlock, your airlock isn't bubbling.

In future, if you cant pop the smack pack (it took me ages the first time, need to be VERY firm), don't bother with the contents of the little bag at all. Not really needed at all. Just some wort and yeast nutrient, i believe, in there.

thanks jbowers... I guess it's just back to the waiting game...

If it helps your peace of mind, I almost never get a massive krausen with 1469. Normally pretty moderate, bout the same as US-05. This grain/hop combination is a stunner when combined with the yeast - I'm betting you'll be really happy with the outcome :)

mate, I want to EAT the krausen right now... looks awesome... eagerly awaiting keg deployment!

have this fermenting atm but it has been 16 days now fg1016, is 1469 a slow fermenting yeast?
also had no mo so used pearle.

As a lover of UK malts, I will take up your challenge. Won't be exactly this beer, but I am happy to send you a pale English bitter made with 1469, Simpsons maris and heritage, styrians and EKG.

Will trade for one of yours.

Then I'll send you some stuff made with Dingemans and Weyermans pils so you can keep making mainly lagers. Dingemans especially (hard to get) is gold.

Hey manticle,
Only just saw this. Will send a pm to get the ball rolling. Cheers.

Report on my Dr. Smurto's TTL:

The beer displays a prominent 'honey' type taste and smell to it. And idea what this could be caused by? I have not brewed with these malts or hops before. The only things I did differently to the recipe were:
* forecast for 65% efficiency, hit 75%, so ended up with a lot more sugars. Target OG was 1042, Actual OG was 1054, with Actual FG of 1015.
* a friend gave me some homegrown 'Goldings' flowers (EK, I think) - so I added 10g to the secondary ferment (18L) for 2 days at the end of fermentation in a hop sock. Crash chilled for a day and a half, and then transferred to a keg.

So yeah, there's some strange honey vibes afoot (could this be from the malt or hops?), a little bit of added sweetness as well (most likely due to my higher efficiency) and a bit of an earthy presence, which as I understand it, is par for course with these hops.

Cheers.

have this fermenting atm but it has been 16 days now fg1016, is 1469 a slow fermenting yeast?
also had no mo so used pearle.

In my experiecne 1469 is one of the most ferocious yeasts, ferments hard and fast, drops like a brick after and needs good temp control. I would be looking at your yeast handling.

Report on my Dr. Smurto's TTL:

The beer displays a prominent 'honey' type taste and smell to it. And idea what this could be caused by? I have not brewed with these malts or hops before. The only things I did differently to the recipe were:
* forecast for 65% efficiency, hit 75%, so ended up with a lot more sugars. Target OG was 1042, Actual OG was 1054, with Actual FG of 1015.
* a friend gave me some homegrown 'Goldings' flowers (EK, I think) - so I added 10g to the secondary ferment (18L) for 2 days at the end of fermentation in a hop sock. Crash chilled for a day and a half, and then transferred to a keg.

So yeah, there's some strange honey vibes afoot (could this be from the malt or hops?), a little bit of added sweetness as well (most likely due to my higher efficiency) and a bit of an earthy presence, which as I understand it, is par for course with these hops.

Cheers.

From reading your previous posts, sounds like your yeast was not in the best health? Same lines as above, look into your yeast handling. The pack you used may not have been in the best condition? so you have had a less than optimal ferment leaving you with some undesirable flavours.

Edit 2: Also could just be your temp of 20deg. If your measuring the side of fermenter means the actual temp could of got around 21 which will produce significant esters with 1469. I always set my temp to 17 for an 18deg ferment especially with this yeast.

Edit1: speeeling

thanks Beer4U. I thought perhaps not having the Wyeast pack fully swollen would just result in a longer fermentation - not a bad ferment with funky esters? I got 71% attenuation out of the ferment, but you think there could have been unwanted esters created from this?
Re: ferment temp, I set to 20 as that was what both the yeast and the recipe called for... my fridge wasn't set to 20, it was set to 18 to maintain the ferment... mind you, due to this yeasts sudden activity there was a day where it ramped itself up to 21 or so before I got home from work and reigned it back in.

thanks Beer4U. I thought perhaps not having the Wyeast pack fully swollen would just result in a longer fermentation - not a bad ferment with funky esters? I got 71% attenuation out of the ferment, but you think there could have been unwanted esters created from this?
Re: ferment temp, I set to 20 as that was what both the yeast and the recipe called for... my fridge wasn't set to 20, it was set to 18 to maintain the ferment... mind you, due to this yeasts sudden activity there was a day where it ramped itself up to 21 or so before I got home from work and reigned it back in.
You can get some unwanted flavours if you don't have a good large healthy yeast pitch. Sometimes the unwanted yeasts can get a jump start on your good beer yeast before the good stuff can take over the ferment. I wouldn't get too concerned about those temps, I run mine at 20-22 depending. I believe Bribie at times runs his at 24 to really push the esters. Its a great yeast with great esters, I reckon running it below 20 restricts its lovely flavours. All in my humble opinion of course.

bah

Latest posts

Back