RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie - you're an expat pom who brews like a madman. How can you have never tried Maris Otter?

Simpson's maris, TF golden promise and Dingemans Pilsner are probably my favourite ever base malts.

As mentioned earlier, the TF GP with the Doc's hopping schedule makes a superb beer (I caramelise instead of the crystal addition - comes out much lighter than TTL so if you want the colour, stick with the Doc's but use the GP).

Thanks for the tip re a reduction in leiu of crystal. I figure I'll be more inclined to do it when I'm not ordering grain by the recipe and carry enough base malts to just be able to whip up a landlord on a whimsy without the need for any crystal. I'd personally be interested to see/taste the difference, so I might do it both ways eventually.

So what are the notable/superior characteristics of the Dingemans pilsner malt?

Yes manticle, Bribie never having brewed with MO- you'd swear he's been living under a rock, but we happen to know otherwise! I can relate though, there's only so many malts you can brew with, particularly while getting them by the sack, oh and even worse when adulterating them with adjunct! ;)

mckenry, the wine character could be just the lower OG (guessing, it is usually quite dry) and maybe a bit of the stonefruit/ fruity esters, perhaps in conjunction with the Styrians? Not that unusual a finding though, sometimes I have really wondered about TTLs at packaging but in the vast majority of cases they improve out of sight thereafter. I find that it lifts dramatically with some CO2 in solution and a few days chilling, but it is the sort of beer that should be very palatable when young and then rounds out brilliantly after a couple of months, so any day now you should be pleased as punch. :icon_cheers:

So what are the notable/superior characteristics of the Dingemans pilsner malt?

Bit OT so I'd be happy to carry on via PM or another thread if this doesn't answer the question.

I use it for Belgians, it's a belgian malt and when I use it, I seem to get the signature character of belgian beer that I like - a honey malt sweetness and slightly greater complexity that the same recipe using weyermans (which is a great malt) or JW (which I would never again use for European styles).

I do decoct and step mash pretty much every belgian type beer but even doing that with the weyerman doesn't give quite the same character.

Sorry for the OT Doc S.

I'd love to get Simpsons Maris Otter, but it's not available hereabouts in the bulk buys. Same goes for JW malts as well, I expect there's only so much a retailer can stock.
Simpsons is from my part of the world.

bamburgh_malt.jpg

I'd love to get Simpsons Maris Otter, but it's not available hereabouts in the bulk buys. Same goes for JW malts as well, I expect there's only so much a retailer can stock.
Simpsons is from my part of the world.

View attachment 53539

Is that Dartmoor or Wormwood Scrubs? :)

Bamburgh Castle, the first location in the British Isles where English was spoken :p Not that ye'd naa hoo te taalk it me bonny lad B)

Made this a few weeks back with 97% Simpson's Golden Promise, 3% Simpsons medium crystal. It's been a triumph from start to finish. The mash smelled amazing, all fermenter samples were outstanding (and probably taken far too frequently but I was really enjoying them), and the final product is delicious. Can't believe I didn't make it sooner as Landlord is one of my all time favourites, but several badly oxidised bottles I have had here in Oz had put me off it a bit. Now I remember why I love it so much.

Made this a few weeks back with 97% Simpson's Golden Promise, 3% Simpsons medium crystal. It's been a triumph from start to finish. The mash smelled amazing, all fermenter samples were outstanding (and probably taken far too frequently but I was really enjoying them), and the final product is delicious. Can't believe I didn't make it sooner as Landlord is one of my all time favourites, but several badly oxidised bottles I have had here in Oz had put me off it a bit. Now I remember why I love it so much.

Will be brewing another Landlord this weekend and will be using the 97% GP and 3% dark crystal grist with the usual hopping schedule. It's taking me a long time to come around to using GP but I am now an addict fan :D

Will be brewing another Landlord this weekend and will be using the 97% GP and 3% dark crystal grist with the usual hopping schedule. It's taking me a long time to come around to using GP but I am now an addict fan :D

Going to be doing a triple batch of my version of your landlord tomorrow :)

I'm using up my leftovers of MO so it will be 47/47% TFFM MO/GP

3% Wey Carabohemian
2% Simpson Heritage Crystal
1% Simpson Choc

I find the colour is spot on and the carabohemain adds an acrid complexity which I get in the original.

Fairly standard Fuggles/EKG/Styrians hop bill, but planning to amp up the late styrians, perhaps some dryhopping as the flavour was awesome last time and I wouldn't have minded more :)

going to give this a run up the ol' flagpole next weekend... thanks for the recipe, I'll report back with findings in a couple of weeks.

I went with GP instead of MO.

Quick question (and possibly a stupid one)... if it's a 90-minute boil, but there's no hop additions for the first 30mins (first hop addition being a 60min.) - what is to be gained by boiling for an additional 30mins without any hops?

slight caramelisation would be my bet but could be wrong..

I have read this thread before and don't feel like going through it again, can anyone tell me what the latest recipe is?

cheers BDB

oops... I went with the recipe on the first page (in the database), assuming it would have been updated if there were any improvements... well, you know what they say about assumptions...

EDIT: look like it was indeed updated in Feb 2012... although judging by recent posts from DrSmurto, the recipe may be getting a switch to GP soon - at the very least, GP has the endorsement of many members.

sorry for yet another post, but after reading this http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=64542, I have a question:

is this recipe based on using the no chill method?

just wondering if I should adjust my hop amounts as logically pointed out in the thread linked above.

cheers.

Mate, the good doctor does not No Chill so the recipes are for chilling.... but having followed a few of Dr S recipes I have found that he leaves the wort for a good 20mins before chilling I have left the hop schedule as is in a few variants and I chill and still happy with the result... My tip is to go with the standard schedule and adjust as you wish in later attempts.

I do 90 min boils for a few reasons, the main one being I feel i get a better hot break by boiling quite vigorously for 30 mins before adding hops.

The other advantage of boiling for the extra 30 mins is the extra few litres of wort required which means i sparge a little bit more and get slighlty higher efficiency.

You will also get slightly more caramelisation.

I do a minimum of 90 min boil for all my beers, 120 min for big beers like BW or RIS.

Re no chill. All my recipes with late hops are designed with the 15-20 min extra after flameout to allow aroma hops to steep, time for the whirlpool to pack the break and hop material into a nice cone in the centre of the kettle and me time to setup the chiller, sanitise it, hoses and fermenter.

Anyone who adjusts my recipes for no chill will undershoot their bitterness (calculated on BS1 or 2 using tinseth).

Current recipe is the one listed in the recipeDB - MO or GP is fine, i like both but make sure you are using the Thomas Fawcetts floor malted versions. I updated it a few months ago as i stopped using munich/choc combo years ago when the TF malts became available.

thank you for the replies Camo and DrSmurto. I have indeed got the Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted GP on order, and very much looking forward to making and drinking this beer.

I will be BIAG'ing... if I normally allow 10% evaporation loss of water for the 60min boil, I'm guessing I'll just allow 15% for the 90mins - keep your recipe as is, and see how it turns out. I'll be back..

thank you for the replies Camo and DrSmurto. I have indeed got the Thomas Fawcett Floor Malted GP on order, and very much looking forward to making and drinking this beer.

I will be BIAG'ing... if I normally allow 10% evaporation loss of water for the 60min boil, I'm guessing I'll just allow 15% for the 90mins - keep your recipe as is, and see how it turns out. I'll be back..

Why would your evaporation percentage increase with a longer boil? I would be leaving that alone, 10% is a good boil off rate.

I also agree with Dr, I now do 90min boil for all brews.

Steve

since starting back up brewing i have been doing 60min boils , after recently making a heavy beer @ 60m and being pretty unimpressed with the result of left over gunk. i'm going back to 90 min boils.

carry on, top thread. i'll get around to brewing this one day soon

-Phill

Latest posts

Back