RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the Doc's hopping schedule but with a different grist (100% golden promise, caramelised wort).

I no chill and don't make adjustments (admittely almost all of my recipes are designed by me and so I don't need to adjust no chilled recipes for no chill) BUT I added hops as suggested at times suggested.

Got lovely flavour from the styrians, not too much bitterness and got my first ever place in a comp. Try it one way, try it again the next time differently and see what works for your palate.

I have used the Doc's hopping schedule but with a different grist (100% golden promise, caramelised wort).

I no chill and don't make adjustments (admittely almost all of my recipes are designed by me and so I don't need to adjust no chilled recipes for no chill) BUT I added hops as suggested at times suggested.

Got lovely flavour from the styrians, not too much bitterness and got my first ever place in a comp. Try it one way, try it again the next time differently and see what works for your palate.

Thanks Manticle, will do.

Dr S,
I am keen to try your (amended?) recipe. I BIAB and no chill. I have put some figures through Brew Mate but have a dillema. I add my hops into a hop bag and remove them from the wort before the no chill, so I don't tick the no chill box in Brew Mate. Should I still add the EKG and Stygians @ 20, or into the cube? I should probably have posted a question about whether or not to tick the box on the AG thread, and I will, but have been following you through 19 pages (over the last couple of days) and took the plunge. I hope this makes sense,
Bob

I personally would not make any adjustments to the recipe even if no chilling.

The hop schedule is Fuggles at 60, EKG at 20 and Styrians as 0.

At flameout i add the hops and let them steep for 10-20 minutes before chilling so i would recommend not removing the hop bag for at least 10 mins after flameout.

I personally would not make any adjustments to the recipe even if no chilling.

The hop schedule is Fuggles at 60, EKG at 20 and Styrians as 0.

At flameout i add the hops and let them steep for 10-20 minutes before chilling so i would recommend not removing the hop bag for at least 10 mins after flameout.

Thanks Doc. I noted the 0 min Styrian (where did I get Stygian from - stygian darkness?) in the recipe db but somewhere in those 19 pages I had changed it to 20 mins. I will definitely leave the 0 min hops to steep, perhaps give them their own hop bag. Craftbrewer are out of Styrian and recommended Aurora (super styrian) as an alternative. May have to give that a go or defer brewing,
Bob

So DrS, is the recipe in the DB up to date with the amendments you have made over time, or is this buried in the 19 pages that I have scanned through briefly from tiime to time?

...and got my first ever place in a comp....

Manticle, last is a place in a comp... I hope that this was your first first in a comp. :D

Thanks Doc. I noted the 0 min Styrian (where did I get Stygian from - stygian darkness?) in the recipe db but somewhere in those 19 pages I had changed it to 20 mins. I will definitely leave the 0 min hops to steep, perhaps give them their own hop bag. Craftbrewer are out of Styrian and recommended Aurora (super styrian) as an alternative. May have to give that a go or defer brewing,
Bob

Styrian Goldings are available here - Link. I would highly recommend not subbing them.

So DrS, is the recipe in the DB up to date with the amendments you have made over time, or is this buried in the 19 pages that I have scanned through briefly from tiime to time?

The version that is currently favoured (at least by me) is;

97% Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
3% medium/dark crystal (Simpsons is delish)
Fuggles @ 60 to total IBU of 30
EKG 1g/L @ 20
Styrian Goldings 1.5g/L @ 0
Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire

I really should just update the recipe as the original is from when the Thomas Fawcetts MO wasn't readily available.

Recipe now updated in the DB to what it has evolved to over the past 3 years thanks largely to the input from the AHB community - group hug. :huh: :D

aahhh, all warm and tingly,

maybe just pissed.. :p

Recipe now updated in the DB to what it has evolved to over the past 3 years thanks largely to the input from the AHB community - group hug. :huh: :D

Thanks! With all the good words about this recipe I am keen to run it through the mill.

Just like in the Open Source software world, many people brewing and reviewing a recipe and contributing improvements, means a better overall product for everyone :) This is one aspect of Home Brewing I absolutely love :)

Did you happen to step mash the landlord or just go with a single infusion?

Need to use up a 1318 London Ale III. The yeasties will love this wort I'd say.

Can't remember. I step pretty much everything these days. Minimum is a 60s rest of choice, 72 glycoprotein rest followed my mashout but certainly would be less complicated than my belgians.

@Bruce - only just saw your post. 3rd place out of 20ish entrants. Doesn't mean diddly really - just any previous comps I'd alway come middle of the range so third was exciting for me. One of the judges was AU first National BJCP Judge so it made me feel proud for a few moments.

Brewing this one as we speak thanks for the recipe - fyi craftbrewer has styrian goldings in stock at the moment, ordered some last week.

Just wanted to post a big thanks to the Doc. Drinking this one on tap at the moment. Great drop :icon_cheers:

The LHBS was out of Maris Otter so I ended up with Golden Promise. First time I've used either but the Golden Promise sure makes a nice beer!

Haven't had a house ale as I'm always trying new things. But this could be 'the one'.

Golden Promise from Thomas Fawcett is, I believe, the exact malt that TT use although I heard that they get it kilned a bit darker, so they can claim the beer to be 100% GP.

I think the good doc used Maris Otter because, well, he'd never tried GP and stuck with what he was comfortable with. On the other hand, I've never used MO. :p
Might get a sack next time.

Golden Promise from Thomas Fawcett is, I believe, the exact malt that TT use although I heard that they get it kilned a bit darker, so they can claim the beer to be 100% GP.

I think the good doc used Maris Otter because, well, he'd never tried GP and stuck with what he was comfortable with. On the other hand, I've never used MO. :p
Might get a sack next time.

Recently bought a bag of both Fawcetts GP and MO. I have brewed 1 Landlord with GP and loved it.

Couldn't get GP when i started trying to brew TTL so used MO and it evolved from there.

Yet to brew a 100% GP variant though, it's on my to do list.

Kegged my first crack at this one today. Hydro sample was very nice. There is a 'wine' type of background flavour. Is this what to expect? Maybe its the Styrians? It is however very nice, so looking fwd to this being carbed. Just an interesting hint in the background.

Recently bought a bag of both Fawcetts GP and MO. I have brewed 1 Landlord with GP and loved it.

Couldn't get GP when i started trying to brew TTL so used MO and it evolved from there.

Yet to brew a 100% GP variant though, it's on my to do list.

G'day Dr. What's your latest recipe?

I've got the following keyed in:

97% UK MO
3% UK Dark Crystal (200-250EBC)

1.5g/L Fuggles @ 60
1g/L EKG @ 20
1.5g/L Styrian G @ 0

Cheers,

Yeah, having tried both Bairds and TF GP, MO, Halcyon and Perle over about 40 batches of TTL variants, IMO nothing quite beats TF GP. :icon_drool2: I just hope they've sorted their sack liner issues as I have one on order for brewing loads of this very beer...

Bribie - you're an expat pom who brews like a madman. How can you have never tried Maris Otter?

Simpson's maris, TF golden promise and Dingemans Pilsner are probably my favourite ever base malts.

As mentioned earlier, the TF GP with the Doc's hopping schedule makes a superb beer (I caramelise instead of the crystal addition - comes out much lighter than TTL so if you want the colour, stick with the Doc's but use the GP).

Latest posts

Back