RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my first crack at this and the famous 1469 that everybody gets a chubby about ..... I now know why. This will be a house beer. Not exactly to spec but the good Dr inspired this version. SWMBO likes it and I gave a blind taste test to my son (megaswiller, he is young - there is still hope) - my landlord vs a crownie. His assessment was - that one is heaps smoother and tastes good. NO SHIT !!!

Thanks Dr Smurto

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.78 %
Colour (SRM): 17.0 (EBC): 33.5
Bitterness (IBU): 30.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

89.13% Golden Promise Malt
6.52% Dark Crystal Malt
4.35% Wheat Malt

1.7 g/L Fuggles (3.8% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Mt. Hood (4.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.4 g/L Styrian Golding (3.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.3 g/L CaSO4 @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

HERMIT step mash 55, 64, 72, 78C. Boil for 80 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

so.... as my keg of the TTL is about to empty, perhaps I should post my finding from my maiden brew-age... particularly seeing as though I bought a bottle of this from Blackhearts & Sparrows yesterday, for the first time...

My TTL has been in the keg for a good 2-3 weeks now, and it's just hitting it's straps now... as it's about to blow.
Disclaimer: I threw an additional dry hop of Goldings flowers (1g/2l), just because a mate gave me some homegrown...
Disclaimer #2: I'm more an APA than an EPA type drinker, and had never tried TTL up till now...
Disclaimer #3: I enjoy the use of > "..."

My TTL inititally tasted overtly earthy, and full of a flavour that I could only describe as "honey, with the sweetness taken out" (perhaps this was due to my dry hopping?).
Over time though, it has developed into quite a nice beer. Thanks Dr. Smurto!

Had the original yesterday.. and I think the freshness of my clone has an upper hand over the original... as it pale's in comparison, imho.

Not really my cuppa, overall, but as far as a clone goes - amazing work! :)

Fuggles will give earth, honey without the sweetness could be the styrians (I get mandarin but honey is understandable to me).

thanks for the clarification mate... it was hardcore earthy and honey-y to begin with...

This beer tastes like a genuine english real ale as you would have it straight out the brewery. I no chilled it so it's a little more bitter than one would expect but I love it like this. Fresh,bitter and english. Golden promise all the way!! I might try it next time with 1968 though only because im obsessed with that yeast.

so.... as my keg of the TTL is about to empty, perhaps I should post my finding from my maiden brew-age... particularly seeing as though I bought a bottle of this from Blackhearts & Sparrows yesterday, for the first time...

Had the original yesterday.. and I think the freshness of my clone has an upper hand over the original... as it pale's in comparison, imho.

I agree on many imported beers. The beers we taste out of the bottle really may not true to the beer where they are produced when fresh, talking fully imported. So need to be careful on where the goal posts are.

I made a Hobgoblin recently and it was OK. In my opinoin, not as good as what I have tasted off the keg in some pubs in Melbourne, and probably better than what you can get at the bottle shop.
Fear.

Just having a pint again now thinking a little less bitterness would make this perfect for me. I do love bitter beers but for this with golden promise and a touch of carabohemian a little less bitter will be spot on. At least ill get it right by the time the engine arrives! Thanks again to a person that loves beer and was thoughtful enough to share his recipe.

:icon_cheers:

Great beer. Just reaching the end of the keg on this one and it's been good all the way through. I've been no chilling and working BrewMate to pull my bitterness back into line which has been working a treat. I'll be making this one again for sure.

Great beer. Just reaching the end of the keg on this one and it's been good all the way through. I've been no chilling and working BrewMate to pull my bitterness back into line which has been working a treat. I'll be making this one again for sure.

Any chance you could post the adjusted hop additions you're using mate? I'm planning this one for my next brew but since I've been relying on putting my kettle in the bath to cool it I've had enough. Off to the big green shed and time to get into no chill I reckon.

Any chance you could post the adjusted hop additions you're using mate? I'm planning this one for my next brew but since I've been relying on putting my kettle in the bath to cool it I've had enough. Off to the big green shed and time to get into no chill I reckon.

I brew double batches and then split into 2 cubes.
60mins: 45g Fuggles (5.1%) 17.08 IBU (nochill)
30mins: 30g EKG (4.3%) 8.33 IBU (nochill)
10mins 1 whirlfloc tablet
Flame out remove hops
Wait 20mins then whirlpool
Wait 5mins then drain to cube
Add hop sock of 22.5g Styrian Goldings (3.4%) 5.28 IBU (nochill) to each cube.
I just cut up some stockings the missus had and tied either end and shoved one in each cube.
Total IBU = 30.7

I bought BeerSmith 2 when it came out and over bittered my first two (single) batches. I then found BrewMate and the "no chill tick box".

This recipe, like all those i have in the recipeDB in the various threads, DO NOT need to be adjusted for no chill.

I whirlpool after flameout and don't start chilling for a minimum of 10 mins, more often 20 mins. During this time the wort will be cooling down slowly.

I suggest you brew the recipe as is with no adjustments and then with whatever adjustments you feel necessary and compare.

Hi DRS,

Brewing this one but only have these (see below) crystals on hand, have you got any suggestions for a crystal bill, realise it wont be exactly the same but want to dip my 1469 toe in.....

Simpson's Medium
JW dark
Cararoma
extra special

Cheers

BDB

Hi DRS,

Brewing this one but only have these (see below) crystals on hand, have you got any suggestions for a crystal bill, realise it wont be exactly the same but want to dip my 1469 toe in.....

Simpson's Medium
JW dark
Cararoma
extra special

Cheers

BDB

Cararoma as 1st preference although simpsons medium is also very nice.

I just saw this referenced on another home brew forum. It seems to indicate that Timothy Taylor does something unusual with its late hops (styrians). Any idea what they mean? Is the wort cooled or still hot?

"The hops in Landlord are used in a most unusual way. In most breweries, a mash of malt and water creates fermentable sugar. The sweet extract is boiled vigorously with hops, which add both bitterness and aroma. The hopped extract is cooled and heads for the fermenting vessels where yeast turns the sugars into alcohol.

Its a bit different where Landlord is concerned. English Fuggles and Goldings hops are packed in the copper boil for bitterness but, prior to fermentation, the extract or hopped wort lies for several hours on a deep bed of Styrian Goldings, where it picks up an exquisite floral and citrus aroma. Styrian Goldings come from the small country of Slovenia, the most northerly part of former Yugoslavia. They are commonly used in Britain today but they were rare in the early 1950s."

sean-0, that process described may have been novel decades ago but it is just marketing dribble today, there's absolutely nothing in Protz' article that is out of the ordinary now, it just describes late kettle hopping with Styrian Goldings. That's what just about every TTL recipe I've seen does, that is basically a hallmark of the variant. I'd be surprised if the article isn't largely regurgitation of a decades old advert, it may have been revolutionary then but is everyday now.

I've been playing with extended boils recently (no not on my arse) and have had good results with colour and flavour boiling both a scottish wee heavy and a doppelbock for 3.5 hours. Simple grain bils in both (just maris with the scottish).

Interested in trying all GP, caramelisation/runnings reduction and this hopping schedule (which is a great one) to see if I can get the landlord colour and depth.

3-4 hour boil. Might be the maiden brew on my new system once I settle in my new place.

has anyone else here ever had TTL served from a cask in the UK?

The stuff in the bottle doesn't taste remotely like the beer that wins the camra awards - I wouldn't be spending any time trying to replicate it !!

TTL is probably my fave beer, alongside crouch vale brewers gold , and from what I could taste:

No munich malt
no crystal malt
no chocolate malt
no decoctions

just plenty of barley sugar flavour, balanced with a lot of late styrian goldings

yummy
:D

No, but the stuff I've had in the bottle is still lovely so I don't mind having a crack.

Don't worry. It's there.

Work with a bloke from Newcastle region who recently bought a small house in his hometown. Will get the good drunken tour in the next year or two.

Latest posts

Back