RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local i was referring to was the Colpitts, i lived around the corner on Lawson Tce. Had many a bbq in the 'backyard' which involved bbqing under an umbrella and leaving pilsners outside in the snow to stay cold, ales inside to stay warm!

Dun Cow was a favourite pub, always quiet and had unique beer on handpump. Another pub i enjoyed was the Woodman Inn which had 3 handpumps and the beers always changed. The half moon, the shakespeare tavern. Memories......

Classic - what a great spot.
I was up the hill a bit on Alexandria Cr. The Colpitts bar was far more comfortable and warmer than our loungeroom so spent more time there than at home. Was it the Elm tree that did a pub quiz with weekly Treasure Island questions? It got me back into reading RL Stevenson.
I worked at, what was then, Dryburn Hospital and often dropped into the Bridge with mates who caught the train home to Toontown.
Durham was a great springboard for exploring the north of England and Scotland so I spent most weekends walking and climbing in the Lakes, Northumbria, Cairngorms..... as you say.... memories.
Now to reproduce the flavours that kick off a few more of them! Cheers.

I'm look at making this one soon, one question though. Why did you use Fuggles with such a low AA rating as bittering hops? I thought something with a higher AA would be better.

Not questioning your recipe, just a newbie who's curious as to why you did it this way. :)

EDIT: Also, my LHBS doesn't have East Kent Goldings, only Styrian. Can I substitute the East Kent with more Styrian?

I'm look at making this one soon, one question though. Why did you use Fuggles with such a low AA rating as bittering hops? I thought something with a higher AA would be better.

Not questioning your recipe, just a newbie who's curious as to why you did it this way. :)

EDIT: Also, my LHBS doesn't have East Kent Goldings, only Styrian. Can I substitute the East Kent with more Styrian?

Re: Fuggles - supposedly what was/is used by TT. I like using low(er) AA% hops for bittering as i find in many cases, the bitterness is smoother. You could sub for another english hop with a higher AA% - target, challenger, northdown, first gold.

Re: EKG/Styrians - will make more of a difference than subbing out the fuggles but the styrians are the hero in a Landlord so yes, sub away.

Re: Fuggles - supposedly what was/is used by TT. I like using low(er) AA% hops for bittering as i find in many cases, the bitterness is smoother. You could sub for another english hop with a higher AA% - target, challenger, northdown, first gold.

Re: EKG/Styrians - will make more of a difference than subbing out the fuggles but the styrians are the hero in a Landlord so yes, sub away.

Sweet. I'll use Fuggles and sub the EKG for Styrians and see how it turns out.

Cheers mate. :)

. Why did you use Fuggles with such a low AA rating as bittering hops? I thought something with a higher AA would be better.

Higher aa is often used because it requires less hops and is therefore cheaper. However there are other compounds besides iso-alpha acids that contribute to flavour, aroma and bitterness perception. In previous times many of the higher aa hops have had associated levels of other compounds (would need to look up the names as I can't remember of the top of my head) that have been associated with things like harsher bittering - conversely many of the lower aa hops and especially those known as noble hops have lower levels and thus provide a more pleasant bittering but the resulting cost is higher. Not too high on a homebrew scale but maybe too high for some commercials. Some more modern varieties have been bred to try and reduce the levels of these compounds while maintaining high aa%

Anyway, like the Doc, I generally prefer lower aa hops for bittering - mostly though I only use hops that I believe are appropriate to the beer profile, whether bittering or elsewhere. If a recipe is meant to have saaz flavour, I will also bitter with saaz.

Fuggles in this beer (I have brewed a slightly different 'landlord/UK pale but with this hop schedule) will give a touch of earthiness which I find balances well with the subtle mandarin I get from styrians.

I've often wondered why people don't just use the most potent hop for the bittering, that explains in nicely. Thanks manticle.

I also find bittering hops contribute to the flavour. Might be hard to detect in super hoppy beers but certainly those with less/lower late additions or single bittering only, it's distinct to my palate. Bittering addition is mainly bittering but still adds to flavour, just as flavour addition adds to bittering (and aroma).

Very true.
I once made the mistake of using CTZ for the 60 min. bittering hop to 30 IBU's in an Ordinary Bitter... Waaaaay to much aroma and flavour came thru... :icon_vomit:

I also find bittering hops contribute to the flavour. Might be hard to detect in super hoppy beers but certainly those with less/lower late additions or single bittering only, it's distinct to my palate. Bittering addition is mainly bittering but still adds to flavour, just as flavour addition adds to bittering (and aroma).

Simple enough to prove. Same beer with a single 60 minute addition will taste different with different hops

Simple enough to prove. Same beer with a single 60 minute addition will taste different with different hops
I'm sure it would taste different. But I thought the trick was to use high AA hops for bittering in a recipe that has significant late hopping, such as an APA. Thereby the aroma/flavour hops well and truly shine above whatever was used for bittering. For example I wouldn't use Warrior to bitter a hefe. I think it was Chris at G&G who first put me on to that.

But as always, it's a personal preference.

Thus why I stated above that it might be hard to detect in super hoppy beers. Hard to detect does not equate to 'is not present'.
In this case we are certainly not talking about a hopped up aipa- landlord is delicious and flavourful but also more delicate.

Would subbing Willamette for the Fuggles here be sweet (got lots of Willamette and a friend and I want to do a joint brew/get a cube each of an ESB)? Could the Willamette double as the bittering addition and sub for the Styrian addition (and still be a nice ESB)?

2 days and 25 pages I hope I've absorbed enough of the gems in this thread.

Had a TTLL bottle last week, which has got me interested in making a batch of this.

Will get some hops in soon and this might even go to the top of the "to brew list".

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Would subbing Willamette for the Fuggles here be sweet (got lots of Willamette and a friend and I want to do a joint brew/get a cube each of an ESB)? Could the Willamette double as the bittering addition and sub for the Styrian addition (and still be a nice ESB)?
I'm also planning to brew this, but can't find any Styrian Goldings, so intend to use Willamette instead.

Does anyone have any views as to how this will go?

Willamette went beautiful in A esb I brewed. It was bittered with leftover fuggles and flavour/aroma both willamette. Loved it.

My Williamette one was the most popular beer at my birthday party last night. Got smashed in no time, would highly recommend!! (I used flowers)...

Bump....
Anyone still making this badboy i am just chucked the yeast 1469 yorkie on this.
23lt biab single infusion @66
3kg marris otter.
1.2kg munich11
200g carromma
100g choc
Doc Smurto hop shedule
Lift bag heat 76 dunk sparge .

Looks a bit darker than most on here but the aim was to get t hat bit of caramel flavour everyone is searching for.
Plan to dry hop 15g styrians at day 5 fof 4 days.

This was my first ever AG brew. Still probs one of the best ones I've made. Haven't made it for a few years now though.

Might have to make another one for old times sake.

Latest posts

Back