RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a drunken trip to Northern England to your bucket list :beer:

Had TTL from hand pump and cask at a small pub in Scarborough on New Years WEve
a couple of years ago. Great stuff.

Graeme

you can see why it has won so many awards

so drinkable - can down heaps of pints in a session

I am biased being a Pom, (and I mostly use american hops), but that is the problem with all of the mega hopped DIPA's etc - you cant drink 6 pints of it !!

Reminds me of a saying "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Did you get to try Brewers Gold?

has anyone else here ever had TTL served from a cask in the UK?

The stuff in the bottle doesn't taste remotely like the beer that wins the camra awards - I wouldn't be spending any time trying to replicate it !!

TTL is probably my fave beer, alongside crouch vale brewers gold , and from what I could taste:

No munich malt
no crystal malt
no chocolate malt
no decoctions

just plenty of barley sugar flavour, balanced with a lot of late styrian goldings

yummy
:D

I drank a lot of TTL in London as my local had it on cask.I agree the bottled version tastes nothing like the cask version

has anyone else here ever had TTL served from a cask in the UK?

The stuff in the bottle doesn't taste remotely like the beer that wins the camra awards - I wouldn't be spending any time trying to replicate it !!

TTL is probably my fave beer, alongside crouch vale brewers gold , and from what I could taste:

No munich malt
no crystal malt
no chocolate malt
no decoctions

just plenty of barley sugar flavour, balanced with a lot of late styrian goldings

yummy
:D

Yes, I have.

I lived in Durham for 2 years and drank my weight in the stuff. It is the reason i started brewing AG as all my kit attempts were lacking. Bottled version we get here lacks the freshness and is more often that not oxidised.

[rambling monologue]Durham has loads of what I referred to as 'old man pubs'. Being a uni town, Durham is flooded with uni students from all over the UK and beyond. The uni is arguably 3rd on the list behind Oxford and Cambridge and in some aspects, ahead of them both. So many of the students that live in Durham are from the upper classes which doesn't mesh well with the working class locals. So you get a segregation - uni pubs and locals pubs. None of the uni pubs had anything other than lager and cider. Some of the locals pubs were old man pubs and were where i spent most of my time drinking handpumped ales - my local had a bitter for 1.26 pound for a pint. Many were change out of 2 pounds and several of the pubs and 3 or 4 handpumps with guest beers that changed weekly. I doubt i went a week without drinking a TTL, it was on tap at several of the pubs. We often did 'real ale crawls' around the town, all were within walking distance of each other. I am getting excited and a little teary just thinking about it.[/rambling monologue]

Not sure i agree with all the no list.

I've seen no confirmation other than marketing and forum generated urban mythology that TTL is 100% GP. A brewer talking to a bunch of seppos on a homebrewing radio show in the US resulted in a lot of it being regurgitated as gospel. It may well be but the result of adding a few % of crystal malt results in a very tasty beer that (from memory) tastes similar to the real deal. I suspect part of the magic of TTL is being in a pub in the north of England drinking the stuff. A bit like the way food/beer seems to taste better when you are holidays.

By all means do extended boils, caramelisations etc. It's part of the fun of brewing beer for yourself. Will it result in a better beer? Possibly, possibly not but as long as you tell yourself it is better then that is all that really matters.

Had TTL from hand pump and cask at a small pub in Scarborough on New Years WEve
a couple of years ago. Great stuff.

Graeme

They had TTL on hand pump at Scarborough pub?

God dam I wish I had've known that...

...assuming you're talking about the same scarborough pub I am - North of thirroul in wollongong?

They had TTL on hand pump at Scarborough pub?

God dam I wish I had've known that...

...assuming you're talking about the same scarborough pub I am - North of thirroul in wollongong?

NO.

It was Scarborough in the UK as per the theme of the post I was answering.

Yup, jumped the gun on that one.

Read scarborough and saw you were from the blue mountains, so just took a punt.

Goes to show my lack of eye for detail...

For an English bitter like this, what mash schedule would you recommend?

Just basically a single infusion like 55/66/78 for 10/90/10 or would there be any advantages to doing something more adventurous?

I thought the 100% GP thing was from Graham Wheeler's book? I haven't heard of the TTL brewers doing an interview before.

For an English bitter like this, what mash schedule would you recommend?

Just basically a single infusion like 55/66/78 for 10/90/10 or would there be any advantages to doing something more adventurous?
Traditionally English ales use a single infusion and mash out as their malt is of very good quality. No ned for a protein rest. From memory Dr smurto reccomended a 67 infusion and presumedly a mash out. Of course it may turn out well with different mash schedules.

Traditionally English ales use a single infusion and mash out as their malt is of very good quality. No ned for a protein rest. From memory Dr smurto reccomended a 67 infusion and presumedly a mash out. Of course it may turn out well with different mash schedules.

65-66C single infusion for 90 mins with a 78C mashout is my regime. 90 min boil.

Hi good doctor
I am looking for some advice
I did this as a small mini biab 20l stovetop
I think I must have done some serious under calculation of the bittering
As I used 22g of EKG (6.5aa) at 80 min and then 20g at 20 min and 20g Styrian at flameout
1044 into fermenter
Fermenter sample was sweet. left couple of days and is now at 1020 so good progress
Still very sweet? Is this normal? Never made this. At made this as ag before but been brewing 7 years sweetest fermenter smalle I've ever had ( made the extract version of you golden ale which excellent btw)

Brew pal said 27 ibus for my boil size (18l) but it tastes like 10ibu

The only thing I can think is that my hop sack was small and tight when boiling
( ooh err Missus !!) so maybe didn't get full utilization will post pictures ( took pics throughout)
When on full size computer ( on iPhone now)
Make and add Hop tea ?
Or not ?
Now ?
before end ferment ?
or
Add to bitter in keg ?
Thanks I Advance for any and all feedback
( yes including the envevitable tight sack jokes :)
Pictures of tight sack to follow ... Cricket I must listened to way too much brewing network banter between Palmer and JZ

Here's a picture of

Contents of sack...

Sack size

Sack size when heated up

Tight sack..

:lol:

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

Hi good doctor
I am looking for some advice
I did this as a small mini biab 20l stovetop
I think I must have done some serious under calculation of the bittering
As I used 22g of EKG (6.5aa) at 80 min and then 20g at 20 min and 20g Styrian at flameout
1044 into fermenter
Fermenter sample was sweet. left couple of days and is now at 1020 so good progress
Still very sweet? Is this normal? Never made this. At made this as ag before but been brewing 7 years sweetest fermenter smalle I've ever had ( made the extract version of you golden ale which excellent btw)

Brew pal said 27 ibus for my boil size (18l) but it tastes like 10ibu

The only thing I can think is that my hop sack was small and tight when boiling
( ooh err Missus !!) so maybe didn't get full utilization will post pictures ( took pics throughout)
When on full size computer ( on iPhone now)
Make and add Hop tea ?
Or not ?
Now ?
before end ferment ?
or
Add to bitter in keg ?
Thanks I Advance for any and all feedback
( yes including the envevitable tight sack jokes :)
Pictures of tight sack to follow ... Cricket I must listened to way too much brewing network banter between Palmer and JZ

A 1020 sample out of the fermenter if the target IBU was 27 IBU will taste sweet. I wouldn't be too concerned at this early stage.

Once you get it down to 1010/12 then you should start noticing the bitterness.

So I was suggest relax, wait until the fermetation is done and then report back. You are a little excited which is a good thing but i suspect this will still work out fine.

Still very sweet

Now at 1010

What to do ?

Seriously considering about 10g of EKG for 30 mins to add a few ibu's

Thoughts ?

just had a taste of this i kegged it on saturday. amazing. good stuff doc.

Just having a pint again now thinking a little less bitterness would make this perfect for me. I do love bitter beers but for this with golden promise and a touch of carabohemian a little less bitter will be spot on. At least ill get it right by the time the engine arrives! Thanks again to a person that loves beer and was thoughtful enough to share his recipe.

:icon_cheers:
That's pretty much how I make it :)

Love the carabohemian in it, adds just a touch of acridity

I had TTL off the hand pump in Lincoln last weekend and it was amazing!

It is way more fruity / floral than the bottled version. It was juicy, sort of like lichee.

Then I discovered Timothy Taylor Ram Tam on hand pump. OMG :icon_drool2:

Shame I can't find it in London at all :(

I lived in Durham for 2 years and drank my weight in the stuff. It is the reason i started brewing AG as all my kit attempts were lacking. Bottled version we get here lacks the freshness and is more often that not oxidised.

[rambling monologue]Durham has loads of what I referred to as 'old man pubs'. Being a uni town, Durham is flooded with uni students from all over the UK and beyond. The uni is arguably 3rd on the list behind Oxford and Cambridge and in some aspects, ahead of them both. So many of the students that live in Durham are from the upper classes which doesn't mesh well with the working class locals. So you get a segregation - uni pubs and locals pubs. None of the uni pubs had anything other than lager and cider. Some of the locals pubs were old man pubs and were where i spent most of my time drinking handpumped ales - my local had a bitter for 1.26 pound for a pint. Many were change out of 2 pounds and several of the pubs and 3 or 4 handpumps with guest beers that changed weekly. I doubt i went a week without drinking a TTL, it was on tap at several of the pubs. We often did 'real ale crawls' around the town, all were within walking distance of each other. I am getting excited and a little teary just thinking about it.[/rambling monologue]

Having just had an enjoyable read over this thread while gathering my thoughts for an upcoming attempt at a "real" Special Bitter this post had me reminiscing too DrS.
I spent about a year in Durham and lived 3 doors up from the Colpitts for much of that time.
Pints of Sam Smiths OB were 1.16 and always in good form. There seemed to be tasty beer in just about every pub I went to. Plenty of chances to enjoy TTL on handpump and the occasional Castle Eden at the Dun Cow. The local Durham brewery wasn't bad either - their cask ale delivered for an Australia day BBQ in -1 degree sleet stands out as a great night.
Had a great time there and would say it was the steepest part of my beer learning curve being surrounded by people who new good beer and pubs that served it.
Cheers mate - you got me reliving some cracking times too.
Definitely looking forward to putting this threads wisdom to use in the near future.

Having just had an enjoyable read over this thread while gathering my thoughts for an upcoming attempt at a "real" Special Bitter this post had me reminiscing too DrS.
I spent about a year in Durham and lived 3 doors up from the Colpitts for much of that time.
Pints of Sam Smiths OB were 1.16 and always in good form. There seemed to be tasty beer in just about every pub I went to. Plenty of chances to enjoy TTL on handpump and the occasional Castle Eden at the Dun Cow. The local Durham brewery wasn't bad either - their cask ale delivered for an Australia day BBQ in -1 degree sleet stands out as a great night.
Had a great time there and would say it was the steepest part of my beer learning curve being surrounded by people who new good beer and pubs that served it.
Cheers mate - you got me reliving some cracking times too.
Definitely looking forward to putting this threads wisdom to use in the near future.

The local i was referring to was the Colpitts, i lived around the corner on Lawson Tce. Had many a bbq in the 'backyard' which involved bbqing under an umbrella and leaving pilsners outside in the snow to stay cold, ales inside to stay warm!

Dun Cow was a favourite pub, always quiet and had unique beer on handpump. Another pub i enjoyed was the Woodman Inn which had 3 handpumps and the beers always changed. The half moon, the shakespeare tavern. Memories......

Latest posts

Back