RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Landlord

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My preference:
18 IBU Fuggles or Challenger bittering at 90
10 IBU EKG at 20
2g/L Styrian Goldings at 0

You can dry hop or hop tea with some more Styrian during fermentation, I'm happy enough without it but that's me- BribieG may disagree! :icon_cheers:

Do you chill? I no chill was planning a TTL this weekend. Couldn't get GP TF floor malted so just went with Bairds GP... still not sure about my hopping schedule...

Got it set at
60 min Fuggles 19IBU
30 min EKG 9IBU
15 min Styrian (cube hopped) 6IBU

So pretty close to what you've said... but how do you treat the Styrians... no worries frecnh pressing..but would have thought your 28 IBU would be a bit under.
I am keeping in mind you did well at QABC :icon_cheers: ... would love to get your thoughts on this

Do you chill? I no chill was planning a TTL this weekend. Couldn't get GP TF floor malted so just went with Bairds GP... still not sure about my hopping schedule...

Got it set at
60 min Fuggles 19IBU
30 min EKG 9IBU
15 min Styrian (cube hopped) 6IBU

So pretty close to what you've said... but how do you treat the Styrians... no worries frecnh pressing..but would have thought your 28 IBU would be a bit under.
I am keeping in mind you did well at QABC :icon_cheers: ... would love to get your thoughts on this
Yeah, good points argon! Yes I do chill, although occasionally No- Chill but I don't actually adjust anything. My own preference is for slightly less bittering, but 30 IBUs or a bit over is quite acceptable too, I figure you've got to tweak it to your personal preference though with small variations like this, hard to nail first time. Do what you feel is right first, then adjust accordingly.

I just add the Styrians at the traditional flameout, let it sit for 15 minutes and then start to chill, being a stovetop BIABer I just slip the stockpot into the laundry tub and start filling 'er up!

If you're at BABBs tomorrow I'll have a couple of variants (the two 31 pointers from the comp plus another by 1768), you can decide for yourself! Not that I think they're anything special either, but it just happens to be my house ale, one which I have been particularly pleased with and fond of too.

Yeah, good points argon! Yes I do chill, although occasionally No- Chill but I don't actually adjust anything. My own preference is for slightly less bittering, but 30 IBUs or a bit over is quite acceptable too, I figure you've got to tweak it to your personal preference though with small variations like this, hard to nail first time. Do what you feel is right first, then adjust accordingly.

I just add the Styrians at the traditional flameout, let it sit for 15 minutes and then start to chill, being a stovetop BIABer I just slip the stockpot into the laundry tub and start filling 'er up!

If you're at BABBs tomorrow I'll have a couple of variants (the two 31 pointers from the comp plus another by 1768), you can decide for yourself! Not that I think they're anything special either, but it just happens to be my house ale, one which I have been particularly pleased with and fond of too.

I'm doing my TTL at 1050 so that's why i've aimed at over 30 IBU but take your point at personaliseing to taste... most important thing IMO. I bet really good result from cube hopping, so ireckon chucking the Styrians in will come out with a nice deep flavour... As i do double batches i 'll be able to potentially french press the second batch if i think it needs it.

Last time i did a TTL i got a wicked starch haze from under extracting the mash, so keen to get it right this time. I'll be at BABBs and keen to bend some ears over this one.

I'm planning to do the 97% TF FM MO and 3% Caraaroma version of this very soon. I'm a bit confused as to what the currently recommended hop schedule is for this though, as it sounds like it has changed from what is in the recipe database. Can someone please enlighten me.

+1

DRSmurto, what is your current hopping with the above version?

My preference:
18 IBU Fuggles or Challenger bittering at 90
10 IBU EKG at 20
2g/L Styrian Goldings at 0

You can dry hop or hop tea with some more Styrian during fermentation, I'm happy enough without it but that's me- BribieG may disagree! :icon_cheers:

Thanks Ralph, I'll give that a go. Do you find a difference in taste between Fuggles or Challenger for bittering?

Thanks Ralph, I'll give that a go. Do you find a difference in taste between Fuggles or Challenger for bittering?
Excellent question, Aaron! Challenger lends a slight marmalade taste, so be cautious bittering at high rates unless that's what you want. Stock TTL may not have that, but I don't mind it, if you want the classic style, I'd use Fuggles, and I prefer plugs if they're available.

My current hop schedule is 1.5g/L of styrians at 0 mins, 1g/L of EKG at 20 mins and then bitter to achieve a total IBU of 30.

The last batch i used First Gold to bitter with as i had run out of Fuggles.

That is for an OG of 1.044, if you increase the OG to 1.050 i would increase the IBU to 35.

I'm planning a partial recipe based on this. Early times but I reckon to be using around 2kgs of MO, making the gravity up with LDME and I want to replace any other grain editions with Brown Malt. I've never done a partial or used Brown Malt before. Can anyone suggest a desirable amount to use in such a way? I'm not that fussy about EBC but more a flavour balance, not too dry or biscuity.

Argon
If you are kegging, try getting a big metal mesh teaball, put in a plug of Styrians and just let it sit next to the pickup tube :icon_drool2:

Argon
If you are kegging, try getting a big metal mesh teaball, put in a plug of Styrians and just let it sit next to the pickup tube :icon_drool2:
I just bought a 30- pack of the plugs, had this sort of devious thing in mind... mmm, mmmm!! :icon_drool2:

Argon

Thanks mate... yep i am kegging. Only got pellets though... will have to get a bag of plugs for keg hopping.

Because I've got 2 cubes waiting... was planning on doing 1 straight up as brewed and then if needs be do the second one with a bit of hop tea and/or dryhopping/keg hopping.

I've found that dry hopping pellets into the keg, even wrapped in voile, lets some hop particles out and the poured beer gets bits in it. Did it the other day in a Cascade Mild and get a fair bit of hop sediment in the glass.

Did this -

Recipe: 28 - Landlord
Brewer: Dazza
Asst Brewer:
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 17.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.24 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 97.00 %
0.13 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.00 %
29.00 gm Fuggles [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
28.00 gm Styrian Goldings (Cube Hop) [5.00 %] (1 mHops 0.7 IBU

Probably the best beer I have made. Bloody simple, bloody beautiful.

You think this bill will work with amarillo or cascade / centennial?? Combo

Im going to experiment.

Thanks again Comrade Smurto!!

Sounds delicious, Under. I once did a TTL variant which I called "Green Dragon" after the pub at Bywater in the Lord of the Rings. On a whim I put in only 20g of Cascade in the last 10 minutes and it stomped all over the UK hops. I know a few of the Pom regional breweries now use some Cascade but I'd be very cautious. I would just go for 10g to tickle the flavour or aroma up a bit, but combine with good strong pom hops like Challenger in the background.

I have this in a cube waiting... cant wait!!!

This is one of the simplest English recipes and is even easier now that 1469 is in the shops- 3% Caraaroma, just about any base malt mashed low (for a drier ESB), then 2 plugs each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian at the usual timing. Happy days! :icon_drool2:

The Challenger bittering sub works IMO, a bit of marmalade in the background goes quite well. Dunno about other C hops, mind you the Green Dragon variant was superb! :icon_cheers:

This re
Did this -

Recipe: 28 - Landlord
Brewer: Dazza
Asst Brewer:
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 17.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.24 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 97.00 %
0.13 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.00 %
29.00 gm Fuggles [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
28.00 gm Styrian Goldings (Cube Hop) [5.00 %] (1 mHops 0.7 IBU

Probably the best beer I have made. Bloody simple, bloody beautiful.

You think this bill will work with amarillo or cascade / centennial?? Combo

Im going to experiment.

Thanks again Comrade Smurto!!

HI this recipe sounds great and it seem to be very tasty.I was searching for this recipe from a long time and finaaly got the recipe from one of my friend and I tried that recipe at home its awesome.I am giving you the recipe :

Pale Malt 3436gm
crystal Malt 358gm
Amber Malt 224gm
wheat Malt 368gm
Torrified wheat 178gm
Target Hops 44gm,added at the start of Boil(42 Bittering Units).
Golding Hops 18gm,added at the last fifteen minutes of the boil.
Goldings Hops 8gm,added at the end of the boil,leave to soak for 30 minutes.
Estimated OG 1044.

Just pitched my TTLL tonight. Nice active starter of 1469 (thanks Ralph!) got an empty keg ready and waiting as well as a second cube ready for top cropping. Looking forward to have a nice English ale on... It's been a while.

Yeah. getting this back on tap shortly. Love this beer. :D

I have this in the fermenter at the moment. Hydrometer samples are great! I'm looking forward to getting it bottled.

I used Ringwood 1187 and it's dropped from 1046 to 1008, almost 83% attenuation and still dropping (now only a point a day). I've struggled with this yeast stalling in the past but think I have it sorted now with a 2.25L starter, fermented at 20-21 degrees and giving the fermenter a swirl twice a day for the first few days.

Back