RecipeDB - Better Red Than Dead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a great beer isn't it, I've still got a couple of bottles left from august and its aging beautifully.

10,000% better than Killkenny

Replied to pm but here it is if anyone interested
OG 1040 FG 1010
Mash in @55/10:66/75;76/10
Fermented @17
NOT exact copy of recipe but reasoably similiar.
Love the malty profile from 1469. Just kegged a ipa that was pitched onto yeastcake of the irish red ...blooxy good

Replied to pm but here it is if anyone interested
OG 1040 FG 1010
Mash in @55/10:66/75;76/10
Fermented @17
NOT exact copy of recipe but reasoably similiar.
Love the malty profile from 1469. Just kegged a ipa that was pitched onto yeastcake of the irish red ...blooxy good
Cheers for that mate. I might just try the 1469 see how she goes!

This is one of the first beer's I made over a year ago and loved every drop. I'll be doing it again in a few weeks but changing the crystal with Carared. Just wondering if 1469 went down well FGZ?? I see you might have used it in your last post. I'll probably end up getting some 1084 anyway.

Gav

Sorry for delay Gav. Unfortunately haven't been as good as my word and made a BRTD yet. Still confident that with the specs of the yeast, it should be good. (but then there are quite a few yeasts that also would be suitable for this style).

Sorry for delay Gav. Unfortunately haven't been as good as my word and made a BRTD yet. Still confident that with the specs of the yeast, it should be good. (but then there are quite a few yeasts that also would be suitable for this style).
No problem mate I might get some irish ale in the end see how I go.

Cheers

No problem mate I might get some irish ale in the end see how I go.

Cheers

I've used Wyeast Irish, Scottish & German ales with similiar results (all pretty much the same yeast on the wyeast chart) and White Labs Edinburgh - all good results (cos I also fiddled around with the recipe - and I think a safale. Not as good, but good enough. Only result I didn't like was US-05.

Go the irish and use it for a few other brews too - its a great yeast for malt orientated flavoured beer. Only thing I say about it is all brews I've done needed a healthy rest time in the kegs or bottles - no good for an eight day grain to brain effort. More like 8 weeks and a few 8 months efforts tasted very nice.

I've used Wyeast Irish, Scottish & German ales with similiar results (all pretty much the same yeast on the wyeast chart) and White Labs Edinburgh - all good results (cos I also fiddled around with the recipe - and I think a safale. Not as good, but good enough. Only result I didn't like was US-05.

Go the irish and use it for a few other brews too - its a great yeast for malt orientated flavoured beer. Only thing I say about it is all brews I've done needed a healthy rest time in the kegs or bottles - no good for an eight day grain to brain effort. More like 8 weeks and a few 8 months efforts tasted very nice.
A nice hearty Irish Red for winter it is then. I'll have to knock out 50L in that case! I do absolutely love this beer and im sure I won't have any trouble getting through a double batch :beerbang:

My old man loves Kilkenny so I thought I'd make him a similar styled beer for his bday.

I made a beer based off this recipe but with a few small changes: I changed the hops to a single addition and I used slightly different grains based on what my LHBS had available.

Fermentables
Golden Promise Malt 61.86% 3.00 Kg
Munich I 26.80% 1.30 Kg
Caraamber 5.15% 0.25 Kg
Crystal 140 4.12% 0.20 Kg
Roasted Barley 2.06% 0.10 Kg

East Kent Golding 4.7% 40g Boil 60 mins

It has only been in the bottle for a week but I couldn't resist having a cheeky sample and it is already a beauty! It is like Kilkenny but way better, richer and a bit more complex with an amazing aftertaste. Now I want to keep them all for myself! ha ha

How come the 15min hop addition has been dropped from all the latest recipes?

Although it is a malt driven beer, I though it still would need the later addition?

QldKev

I see this thread has come up again, just as I'm going to do an IR for the BABBs minicomp in April, so I was reading the BJCP guide only this morning.

I'll probably just use something fairly neutral as the bitterer, Magnum or even Galena but just the one addition to around 25 IBU.

I'm surprised that more recipes don't use Caraaroma - it's redder than Bob Brown and gives that required caramel toffee flavour.

As with last year's effort, some RB as well to give the roast in the finish and I reckon it will be spot on :beerbang:

I've found with single addition brews, a fair amount of hop flavour still makes it through to the finish and some hops such as Saaz

you wouldn't believe there was only a bittering addition (My Vienna Lager last year)

Irish Red:

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like
but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a
light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop
aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples
have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan
colored head.
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally
with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes
with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic
dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some
examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low
hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase
the perception of bitterness to the medium range.
Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions
can be very smooth). No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples
containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick
mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated
(more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol
warmth in stronger versions.
Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused
with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

I dropped the 15min addition to be more 'to style'.

Also most non-craft beer drinkers who drink my beers with late hop additions find them too hoppy. I didn't want to risk it with this one being made primarily as a bday present.

Gav,

Did you end up doing the split batch and if so how did it turn out ?

Cheers
Sean

Hey Sean,

Sorry for the late reply I been working out at sea for a while and unable to access this site. Anyway I did do a double batch and Im drinking it now. I did one with Irish ale 1084 and the other with 1968 ESB.

Just waiting for them both to warm up a little more (have my fridge set pretty cold) so I can get a better idea but straight away I prefer the 1968. The 1084 Irish ale is nice and clean in a way but I get this real chewy malt flavour from the 1968. The irish ale finished a little higher than the ESB so the mouthfeel is a little thinner as well.
For me ill be making it with 1968 from now on I just love that yeast! I used it in an oatmeal stout a while ago and i'll tell ya the keg didn't last long. Well maybe for a summer beer id think about using the irish but for winter the ESB is the clear winner for bringing out the malt profile etc. Sorry if this is a bad explanation im still a novice but yeah ESB all the way for me.
Just sipping the 1084 as it's warmed up a little more and tasting really nice. Very drinkable lovely drop so ill have to see what my mates think but the ESB is going to be the one on tap from now on.

Cheers

I made this with Windsor dry yeast. So far it has a nice malty taste with a subtle bitterness from the hops. It has been about three weeks in the bottle and the room where the bottles are sitting in is a bit on the cold side. My BRTD is still a bit too sweet for my tastes. I am hoping as it ages it will dry out and loose some of the residual sweetness.

I am thinking I should have used a liquid Irish Ale Yeast. What difference would this make to the beer and would it impart less sweetness to the beer?

I made this with Windsor dry yeast. So far it has a nice malty taste with a subtle bitterness from the hops. It has been about three weeks in the bottle and the room where the bottles are sitting in is a bit on the cold side. My BRTD is still a bit too sweet for my tastes. I am hoping as it ages it will dry out and loose some of the residual sweetness.

I am thinking I should have used a liquid Irish Ale Yeast. What difference would this make to the beer and would it impart less sweetness to the beer?

what was your final gravity when you bottled? I haven't used Windsor in years but am I right in to remembering it does not attentuate as well as other yeasts, leaving a higher malt residual ? This could be one cause of the sweetness.

There has been quite a bit of talk on the yeasts that brewers have used to make this recipe. Suggest you re-read the thread to get what is really a bit of diverse comment. I like the Irish yeast but I'd be interested in trying some other northern English yeasts for variation.

If you don't have it, visit the Wyeast site and get their yeast guide - it lists all their yeast and which yeast suits which styles. There is a fair amount of interchangeability with some yeasts eg Irish and German Ale yeasts pretty much usable in the same styles.

Back