RecipeDB - Better Red Than Dead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score

Better Red Than Dead

Ale - Irish Red Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 27 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Mash at 67C for 60 minutes. Ferment at 18C. Do not use secondary - the yeast will need to clean up well after itself - you want a hint of diacetyl, not mobs of it. Suggest leave 3-5 days in fermenter after reaching FG.

Recipe suggests IBUs of 26 and SRM 17 which varies slightly from calcualtion.

OG 1.053 FG 1.016

The article in Zymurgy also recommends a cool cellaring time before serving.

I have not made this recipe (yet)

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.2 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
1.4 kg Weyermann Munich I
0.28 kg Weyermann Carared
0.23 kg JWM Crystal 140
0.12 kg JWM Roasted Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
43 g Fuggles (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 45mins)
28 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 15mins)

Yeast

100 ml Wyeast Labs 1084 - Irish Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.054 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 26.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.2%
  • Colour 38 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Erm ... no hops? Surely the hop shortage aint that bad ;)

PS love that Carared, you'll have to have a pint of my American week after next.

Erm ... no hops? Surely the hop shortage aint that bad ;)

PS love that Carared, you'll have to have a pint of my American week after next.

You need glasses BribieG I can see 'em.

FG will have to get the run down on this one from ya when your up here at Sully's brew day. Been wanting to get a Red into bar stable for sometime now. Looks good BTW.

EDIT: Have you put this up so the Red Gods might seek some inspiration for the coming season? Bennett's not that good :p

FG will have to get the run down on this one from ya when your up here at Sully's brew day. Been wanting to get a Red into bar stable for sometime now. Looks good BTW.

I read about Schooey and others looking at Irish Reds this morning - as if by magic :lol: up comes the Zymurgy recipe.

What is here is far far less crystals than Schooey first thought. The article is a good one, asking for an upfront caramel flavour (but not cloying) initial hit and a dry finish from the roast malt finish.

I'll put one of these down before I head north on Friday - that will mean 14 days in the fermenter, which sounds okay to me.

They weren't there at first and it also said IBU zero.

Can see them now, I Probably jumped in a bit quick while F/G was still doing some fine tuning B)

Edit: I'll pick your brains as well, I don't mind Kilkenny, even the frozen BUL version from Carlton and you don't see it around much any more.

They weren't there at first and it also said IBU zero.

Can see them now, I Probably jumped in a bit quick while F/G was still doing some fine tuning B)

Edit: I'll pick your brains as well, I don't mind Kilkenny, even the frozen BUL version from Carlton and you don't see it around much any more.

I'll bring the said magazine up.

This one does seem a tasty recipe indeed. Filed for future brewing me thinks!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

Update: Ok I'm loving this recipe and I plan to do double of it this sometime this month. I would change nothing.

I bottled the whole batch and for once drunk_chappo (loser <_< ) didn't stuff the carbonation up like he usually does. FatzG it really hits the spot mate and is a pleasant beer that's not pretensious or hard to drink, in fact it's too easy to drink. Good dry malty backbone, aroma is morish with malts, hints of caramel and has right amount of bittering to finish well on the palate. Head retention is great, lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass and the colour and clarity is awesome with a beautiful polished rudy red. This is going into Chappo's stable for sure. Thanks Fatz!

If your after an easy drinking Irish Red go for this one.

Update: Ok I'm loving this recipe and I plan to do double of it this sometime this month. I would change nothing.

I bottled the whole batch and for once drunk_chappo (loser <_< ) didn't stuff the carbonation up like he usually does. FatzG it really hits the spot mate and is a pleasant beer that's not pretensious or hard to drink, in fact it's too easy to drink. Good dry malty backbone, aroma is morish with malts, hints of caramel and has right amount of bittering to finish well on the palate. Head retention is great, lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass and the colour and clarity is awesome with a beautiful polished rudy red. This is going into Chappo's stable for sure. Thanks Fatz!

If your after an easy drinking Irish Red go for this one.

Too kind.

Finally did my side by side comparison with Kilkenney Red. NO COMPARISON !!!!!

The Kilkenney has a distinctive flavour, but I don't like how the widget/nitrogen drives off the carbonation. Tastes like flat crap after a while. The BRTD I made (slightly weaker than the posted recipe to take it to approx 3.7% ABV) has an initial harshness that I reckon more my fault with excesssive hoppiness, but soon settles into an easy drinking session beer (hence the 3.7%). You can tell the flavours bear similarity but the BRTD clearly is more malty, more flavour. Colourwise similiar.

So if you like the Kilkenney Irish flavour, the BRTD is a home brew "clone" that is a great deal better than its commercial cousin.

I'd recommend it for you to try if you like this style of beer !

+1 FatzG
As previously discussed with you my good sir, it is a fine drop indeed and even if I have to say it myself stands very proudly up against a commercial version of this beer :rolleyes: . I am taking my version to BABBS tonight so it will iteresting what feedback I get from the lads.

Highly recommended recipe and once again onya FatzG for sharing mate :party: .

P.S. FatzG will try to get off may rather large ass and send ya said example et al Chappo.

+1 FatzG
As previously discussed with you my good sir, it is a fine drop indeed and even if I have to say it myself stands very proudly up against a commercial version of this beer :rolleyes: . I am taking my version to BABBS tonight so it will iteresting what feedback I get from the lads.

Highly recommended recipe and once again onya FatzG for sharing mate :party: .

P.S. FatzG will try to get off may rather large ass and send ya said example et al Chappo.

If they pan it you've never heard of me :ph34r:

Seeing as though Chappo has somehow claimed dibs on the cans of Red Death he believed he saw in my beer fridge, I need to get brewing again. (Chappo drinking Red Death >> :icon_drunk: )

All of my ingredients for this brew have arrived (thanks Ross!) and brewing clearance has been granted for this Sunday morning from the Director of Home Affairs.

Bring on the Better Red That Dead Irish Ale.

If its good (and i'm sure it will be), Fatz will get the credit (with a little for me), if it's rubbish, then it's all Chappo's fault! :p

FatzG :ph34r: ... Phew!! We're safe mate apparently all that tried Chappo's FatzG Red Death........ LOVE IT!

SJ WooHoo another convert to the "Red Death" I promise you'll love it mate! And I am sure you'll do it justice so my reputation will be safe :ph34r: .

Good, it's airlocks bubbling away nicely (am i allowed to say that?? :ph34r: ).

Can up a little a short on OG (due to early morning and extreme cold related brain fade.....) but should till turn out a nice little session beer.

Good, it's airlocks bubbling away nicely (am i allowed to say that?? :ph34r: ).

Can up a little a short on OG (due to early morning and extreme cold related brain fade.....) but should till turn out a nice little session beer.

Good to hear. Do you remember what your OG was? Double or single batch? Great session beer BTW. Mine's all gone to the Beer Gods so i will have to get my finger out ASAP and replenish stocks.

(pssst! Gladwrap is da bomb SJ :ph34r: bloops bloops are hard to give up I miss mine singing to me :( )

Chappo

My OG nudged over 1040, i think it was about 1042, so a little short on target. But if the beer drinks as good as you say (and it better!!!!!) no harm in brewing again gettting it right.

CHeers SJ

Latest posts

Back