RecipeDB - Better Red Than Dead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what was your final gravity when you bottled? I haven't used Windsor in years but am I right in to remembering it does not attentuate as well as other yeasts, leaving a higher malt residual ? This could be one cause of the sweetness.

There has been quite a bit of talk on the yeasts that brewers have used to make this recipe. Suggest you re-read the thread to get what is really a bit of diverse comment. I like the Irish yeast but I'd be interested in trying some other northern English yeasts for variation.

If you don't have it, visit the Wyeast site and get their yeast guide - it lists all their yeast and which yeast suits which styles. There is a fair amount of interchangeability with some yeasts eg Irish and German Ale yeasts pretty much usable in the same styles.

I think I will have to use one of the Wyeast yeasts next time. Seems to be more variety: high medium and low attenuating yeasts to suit the style. Thanks for the advise.

Can't wait to have a crack at this recipe! Does anyone know how this compares to the Karl Strauss red trolley ale? Had it for the first time the other day and was incredibly impressed.

Just knocked out a double batch of this yesterday using the original recipe. Ended up with a slightly low OG but mainly because I had overestimated my boil off over the hour. Still ended up with 1.048.

Can't wait to get this one fermenting. Am planning on kegging half for more immediate consumption and bottling the other half for saving for a few months.

It was drinking a red trolley ale that had me keen to make this recipe. Does anyone have a basis for comparison?

just banged this baby out ...ummm very noice

what a lovelly drop

this will be a keeper

cheers mick

Filled a keg of this about 4 weeks ago and was nice but other beers took the tap. Now aged a bit, as stated before, it is required. Is tasting really good. The missus is gunna drain it before me. Gunna let my precious bottled 8 largys sit in the special crate till the end of winter and try drink em on the sly.
Yum yum. Nice beer.

Pic.

1436525540897.jpg

After brewing Chappo's V3 recipe I am not impressed at all. It honestly tastes like liquid Fairy Floss for the first half of glass, diminishing to cloying sweetness thereafter. I'm guessing the 15% of Melanoiden might be the culprit here as I've never used it in such large amounts. Weyermann say up to 20% but from what I've read, most people use up to 5%.

I'm not going to be disheartened and will give the original recipe a shot.

Brew the original. I can't imagine what melanoiden would bring to the party that improves on it - that looks like a huge amount too. Keep it simple - it's a lovely beer.

manticle said:
Brew the original. I can't imagine what melanoiden would bring to the party that improves on it - that looks like a huge amount too. Keep it simple - it's a lovely beer.

Chappo's V3 used three times the melanoidon and cut the carared and crystal. Stick with the original. Not a brew to drink "fresh" either - let it sit in a keg /bottle for a few months if you can. Don't know why, just seems to taste better after a 8 weeks sitting there.

Back