RecipeDB - Better Red Than Dead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

Well, I had a crack at this and followed the recipe to a 't' except that it was scaled down to 13L. Just tried it and it is quite a bit darker than expected and more brown than red. It also has more of a burnt/astringent flavor than I would have associated with an Irish Red Ale. If I was to have a guess I either have too much of the JW Roast Malt or the malt was a little more roasted than other batches. Is it me and my expectations that are the problem here or have I cocked something up? I'm considering decreasing the amount of JW Roast Malt and increasing the amount of CaraRed. Does this sound reasonable?

sap.

I have just started drink my keg of this. It's lovely stuff. It is dark in the glass (tending to brown) with nice red hues when held up to the light.

Sappas, this brew definitely has more roasty character than you'd expect, esp if your comparing to a killkenny (though i quite like the roasty taste). I think back in one of FGZ's earlier posts he mentioned that he would halve the Roast Malt next time round.
Cheers SJ

I have just started drink my keg of this. It's lovely stuff. It is dark in the glass (tending to brown) with nice red hues when held up to the light.

Sappas, this brew definitely has more roasty character than you'd expect, esp if your comparing to a killkenny (though i quite like the roasty taste). I think back in one of FGZ's earlier posts he mentioned that he would halve the Roast Malt next time round.
Cheers SJ

Actually I really like the roasty malts of this recipe and in previous off forum discussions with FatzG it is the lack of a malt backbone in Killkenny that detracks from it being a great beer, well that's entirely in my opinion that is and more personal tastes.
It would be interesting to do this recipe again and halve the roast malt but maybe add something else to drive the malt backbone? Caraamber or maybe even Special B?

Chappo

It's a subtle roastyness, but definitely there and definitely very nice. I will be brewing this again, and i will be using the same amount of roast malt.

Cheers SJ

It's a subtle roastyness, but definitely there and definitely very nice. I will be brewing this again, and i will be using the same amount of roast malt.

Cheers SJ

I've just done another batch with minor addition of melanoidin malt for extra malt crunch. Also using US 05 rather than the Irish Ale to see what the impact will be. Will keep you advised.

The small amount of dark malt is really for the colour I reckon - yes it should add a minor flavour burst but i reckon the carared / caraaroma adds the real backbone. The yeast should emphahsis the maltiness (which may bugger my US 05 experiment) but I have my favourite Whitelabs Edinburgh Yeast in storage for the next effort.

Good to see a few blokes playing with the style.

I've just done another batch with minor addition of melanoidin malt for extra malt crunch. Also using US 05 rather than the Irish Ale to see what the impact will be. Will keep you advised.

The small amount of dark malt is really for the colour I reckon - yes it should add a minor flavour burst but i reckon the carared / caraaroma adds the real backbone. The yeast should emphahsis the maltiness (which may bugger my US 05 experiment) but I have my favourite Whitelabs Edinburgh Yeast in storage for the next effort.

Drinking this one now brewed using Edinburgh Ale Yeast. so malty and surprisingly creamy compared to other red ales i have attempted. This is definately the best beer i've produced so far!

Drinking this one now brewed using Edinburgh Ale Yeast. so malty and surprisingly creamy compared to other red ales i have attempted. This is definately the best beer i've produced so far!

The two scottish yeasts (Wyeast Scottish & Whitelabs Edinburgh) are great yeasts that really emphasise the malt - given this was the purpose in a hopless land ! I made a number of ales last year using the yeasts in a number of styles including a dark wheat beer which case swappers enjoyed. I thought when I posted the recipe that a scottish yeast would be better than the irish in these recipes so got one in stock.

My first BRTD had a creamy head that lasted all the way to the end. Visually appealing ! That was the Irish yeast.

Wish I had some left now !

OK. This has had a few weeks of conditioning and has fully carb'd up now. Beautiful drop. I'd forget my previous comments re roast malt and leave it exactly as it is in the recipe...

sap.

OK. This has had a few weeks of conditioning and has fully carb'd up now. Beautiful drop. I'd forget my previous comments re roast malt and leave it exactly as it is in the recipe...

sap.

Good stuff sap ! I've all but emptied a keg and am carbing my US 05 version for the weekend.

I've another batch in the fermenter with the Edinburgh yeast and I subbed the roast barley for Carafa II (dehusked so no dark malt bite) and upped the melanoiden. For the record, I think this beer should be left for a little while to "mature" - like you found, I reckon they taste better (different) after a few weeks than green from the fermenter.

Good to see another satisfied brewer !

I'll be putting another double of this down tomorrow morning whilst on Holidays. Gunna keg one batch and bottle the rest.

Thinking about adding some biscuit? Thoughts?

I'll be putting another double of this down tomorrow morning whilst on Holidays. Gunna keg one batch and bottle the rest.

Thinking about adding some biscuit? Thoughts?

Never really used "biscuity" malt which as I know it may be good in english browns but more belgian style. Wouldn't think of it, but why not ! I like a malty profile, hence the additional melanoiden. But got to be careful I don't overdo it - don't want a cloying mess !

917 Better Red Than Dead 3
Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 16/05/2005
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Brewer: Fatgodzilla
Boil Size: 24.61 L Asst Brewer: Brandy The Dingo.
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: 50 litre keg (boiler) and Esky (mash tun)
Taste Rating(out of 50):40 Brewhouse Efficiency: no effin' idea.
Taste Notes: Interestingly great.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 55.94 %
1.40 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 24.48 %
0.40 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 6.99 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.24 %
0.30 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 5.24 %
0.12 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (710.0 SRM) Grain 2.10 %
60.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.10 %] (40 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs US 05 (Fermentis) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 %
Bitterness: 23.5 IBU Calories: 518 cal/l
Est Color: 23.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.72 kg
Sparge Water: 16.38 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 14.90 L of water at 77.4 C 70.0 C

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: kegged
Pressure/Weight: 119.0 gm Carbonation Used: - no effin idea.
Keg: 4 C Age for: 16.0 days
Secondary Storage Temperature: 15c to 17c

Notes

To Secondary (water container) 30 May. 3 bottled at same time.(#917 on cap). Did not fridge the secondary.
Kegged 5 June.

Just tasted this effort. Fantastic ! Beautiful aroma. Taste not as "malty" as previous efforts - the US 05's influence. Fairly clean taste - again what I would attribute to the yeast. Easily drinkable. You probably wouldn't label this an "Irish Red" but along the lines of Screwy's favourite description "This is not an Irish Red - its' a red ale !" On first impressions - a great session beer. Will bring a few neighbours in to try and see what they think.

Tried a bottle of Sap's recently.

Mighty tasty. I may have to keep this in mind for a future brew (might be a partial version depending).

Tried a bottle of Sap's recently.

Mighty tasty. I may have to keep this in mind for a future brew (might be a partial version depending).

Just be careful of the bitterness if using a can of goo, but I reckon the use of the carared/crystal/dark malt should be okay with a kit beer to get a reasonable drop. See how you go .. I've been impressed so far with the results .. will bottle all the next efforts for later in the year (time for some wheaties !)

Just be careful of the bitterness if using a can of goo, but I reckon the use of the carared/crystal/dark malt should be okay with a kit beer to get a reasonable drop. See how you go .. I've been impressed so far with the results .. will bottle all the next efforts for later in the year (time for some wheaties !)

At most I would be using unhopped liquid extract or Dried extract. My brews are moving closer to AG all the time, with extract there more as a back up as I'm still muddling along.

At most I would be using unhopped liquid extract or Dried extract. My brews are moving closer to AG all the time, with extract there more as a back up as I'm still muddling along.

That case it will be a piss easy thing to go. Go for it !

I'm having a crack at this one as my AG #3. Copied the recipe apart from the yeast. Would it be feasible to use S-04 ( on hand ), or would I f*ck it up by not using 1084?. The liquid yeast I have to fly in, and is a minimum 2 day trip. The last one ( with ice bricks ) arrived just cool, and I'm not sure whether to go down this road again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if S-04 will be shit, then I'll fly in the proper yeast.

Regards

Elec, give it a go using S04. If it doesnt, turn out as you expect you can try 1084 next time.

sap

I'm having a crack at this one as my AG #3. Copied the recipe apart from the yeast. Would it be feasible to use S-04 ( on hand ), or would I f*ck it up by not using 1084?. The liquid yeast I have to fly in, and is a minimum 2 day trip. The last one ( with ice bricks ) arrived just cool, and I'm not sure whether to go down this road again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if S-04 will be shit, then I'll fly in the proper yeast.

Regards

Still a house favourite at Chappo Manor. FatzG thought I might tweak a little bit more from the original?

Recipe: Better Red Than Dead V3
Brewer: Trent Chapman
Asst Brewer: FatzG Look a like DeeJay tha Dog ;)
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 27.02 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 32.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (4.0 EBC)Grain 56.34 %
1.30 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (7.0 EBC) Grain 22.89 %
0.90 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (50.0 EBC) Grain 15.85 %
0.20 kg Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 3.52 %
0.08 kg Carafa II (1150.0 EBC) Grain 1.41 %
28.30 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (90 min) (FiHops 17.2 IBU
9.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (45 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.68 kg
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 10.58 L of water at 55.7 C 50.0 C
60 min Saccrification Add 9.52 L of water at 92.1 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.99 L of water at 99.3 C 77.0 C

If I can get to CB's today this goes down tonight.

Cheers

Chappo

Latest posts

Back