Recipe For A Beer Like Hahn Super Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bribie,

I like Hersbrucker in an Aussie premium lager...works well with the dreaded POR. :)

Is the recipe you posted No Chill ??

The reason I ask is that I am currently playing with No Chill to save some time on brew day. For these Aussie beers at this stage.

My hop additions were a lot higher (Beersmith not Brewmate) but I am open to any suggestion if you would like to contribute with your thoughts.

Cheers

No chill.
However I've just done a lager along the same lines and have cube hopped with the Hersbrucker.

Cascade Premium was Hersbrucker until a couple of years ago but they have gone Australian Summer hops according to their site.

Another yeast to consider is wyeast 2124 fermented at 19c from start to finish done in four days filtered and kegged on the fifth day, it may sound

strange but entered inthe vicbrew comps under Aus lager scored a 6th out of about 20 beers 108 points !

CHEERS!

WLP833 bock yeast rocks lagers, super clean at 12degC, low diacetyl and acetaldehyde

Thanks Bribie,
I can fully understand why the commercial guys dont use Hersbrucker, tha last lot I got was under 2% from memory.

Summer eh! Does that have a German hop type profile?

Chiller, an original member on here gave me a recipe using Saphir Fwh and por and I brewed it and it came out really good as well.

I dont think anyone but Chucky wants to brew a beer with an Fg of water, so all input on this topic is great.
I do agree that Superdry is not the worst Aussie lager around, but one or two middies will pull me up due to a massive lack of flavour.
Unfortunately if I am in most local pubs then I am subject to West End Draught. Now that is the most metallic glass of aerated owls piss that I have ever tasted.
With nothing really to boast about my closest local has just put Peroni on tap...a better choice than all the other lager taps :(

Cheers

Just siphoned my attempt of this beer into secondary.
I've had it in the fermenter for a couple of weeks now, though the main fermentation stopped about a week ago.
Since then I've had it sitting at 2C to cold crash it, and it will sit for another few days with the gelatine to really clear it up, then I'll bottle.

The FG was 0.999-1.001, dependent on how I read my hydrometer and calibrated for temp...
I've got to say, that this beer already tastes pretty bloody nice out of the sample, no odd flavours or anything, clean, crisp and refreshing.

As this was the test batch, I think I need to up the grain bill slightly and lower the addition of sugar to compensate. This is just to bring a touch more body to the beer.
Perhaps using sugar with some level of flavour might be the go too, thoughts?
I'm not entirely sure if I had enough hops in there, or it is just my IPA tastebuds craving something extra :p

Cheers,
Martin

Since my last post I've got a dead simple 4.8% lager in primary, with BB ale, white sugaz and POR pellets to about 24 IBU, and a mix of a couple of dried lager yeasts.
I've gone the Bacchus route and fermented at 18/19 just in the garage and will lager for ten days at around freezing.

If it turns out ok maybe we should do a bottle swap.

sure, that'd be great Bribie :) I'd be interested to see how yours turn out.
I fermented mine at 14C and then increased to 17C towards the end. After it had settled at 1.003 for a couple of days I crash chilled it to 2C.
I'm not sure how long I should be lagering it for, I bottle condition, so I assume I need to leave the bottles at 18C for the first week and then put them in the fridge at 4C for a little while?
Any suggestions on how to go about it best would be great!

Cheers,
Martin

Bottling conditioning lagers I usually leave sub 20 for about a fortnight then fridge them if I am going to keep them for comps etc. And I'm coming to the conclusion that they should be in glass, not PET. The QLD guy who regularly won places in the Nats with lagers (now retired) would brew in February then from April on, he had fridges under his house packed with lagers.

TheWiggman said:
How did you manage to get the FG around 1.000 Martin? Drying enzyme?
Correct I added one sachet of Copper Tun Low Carb Dry Enzyme.
I also mashed low, between 63.5C and 64.5C and finally used half a KG of corn sugar to retain the alcohol content but not add anything else in terms of flavour.

I think if I either mash a bit higher next time, or add less sugar and more grain, it might turn into a much more full-bodied beer.
Alternatively, I think I might give the higher SG brewing a go and dilute to the desired SG prior to pitching yeast.
From the sample it tastes fairly similar, though I'm not sure Cluster was exactly the right choice of hops, perhaps I need to add more in several steps.
At least this won't take long to re-brew, lots of mates around who like "normal" beer ;)

I had to make an early order from NHB as I'm heading up that way for a beerswap tomorrow.
So I decided to get the grain for a second batch, which I've changed slightly to suit my taste buds better, solely based on the gravity sample I took (so perhaps a bit premature, but I'll have something to compare with)

Grain bill/ Fermentables:
  • Briess Carapils Dextrine Malt 0.2kg (4.8%)
  • Joe White Munich Malt 0.2kg (4.8%)
  • Joe White Export Pilsner 3.5kg (84.3%)
  • Corn Sugar 0.25kg (6%)
Hops
  • 20g Cluster @ 60min
  • 10g Cluster @ 20min
  • 10g Cluster @ Flameout

The reason for changing the hop schedule was that I felt I wanted a bit more flavour than just bitterness achieved from a single 60 min hop boil.
I also lowered the Corn Sugar from 500g to 250g and increased the grains accordingly (still same ABV)
I'll be adding the dry-enzyme and mashing low again. The dryness feels spot on, so I don't want to change that in the second version.

Will lager as you mentioned Bribie, though I think I might not be able to wait 2 months to pop the first one, curiosity will get the better of me ;) haha

Cheers,
Martin

I have used cluster in my Aussie lagers and im not sure about the late additions in your recipe the flavours might be a bit over the top for such a dry beer cluster has a pretty strong flavour only my opinion but I reckon the euro noble hops might be a better choice for the late additions. Cheers

The Flavour
Victoria Bitter is fermented between 18-18.5°C, which is very warm for lager. Put simply, the higher the temperature, the quicker the fermentation as the yeast multiply and devour the sugars, turning them into alcohol. Why do this? A warm, fast ferment results in a beer with more flavour. If you want bland, flavourless beer, you better look elsewhere.
You’ll find Victoria Bitter lives up to its name too. All of our hops are bittering hops, not flavour or aroma hops so when we say the big cold beer, we mean BIG.

https://www.victoriabitter.com.au/the-brew/

Found on the website above. But interesting to read the fermenting temps I found using wyeast 2124 at these temps gave a strong Aussie lager flavour tang.

Yeah but VB is fermented under pressure. This changes the game completely for yeast. Pressurised fermentation allows for higher temps to not affect flavour. If the yeast used in VB (Foster's B strain?) were used on a home brew scale at the same temps you would get a very different beer. A worse one I'd wager. Unless you did it with a WilliamsWarn, but forget I ever said that.

Hey fellow brewers,

I'm getting ready to brew up the second attempt of this, need it ready to drink by August when the FIL/ MIL comes to visit.

Taste notes from the previous batch is a distinct lack of body by comparison to the original.
I'd even go as far and boldly state, those that say "mash low and add 15%+ of sugar", have probably never brewed up an Aussie mega-swill clone themselves!
Perhaps that is just me, as all of my mates liked the clone, but I want a bit more...

Thanks for the comment TheBigWilk, I've taken note of it, and changed my recipe slightly.

I also read another thread, where it was suggested that the mash was done at a slightly higher temperature to provide some body and the addition of sugar was there purely to up the fermentability... With what little I know, seems like a fairly logical approach. Use less grain for fermentability, but extract all the flavour you can, while adding sugar for alcohol percentage...

I'd be keen to hear what people think of the higher temp idea, I've set mine at a modest 66c, should I go higher?
I obviously don't want to create something that isn't dry ;)

So, without crapping on, below is the second approach to the beer.

Cheers,
Martin

Bosco Super Dry
Australian lager (2 1)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 28.00 l
Mash: 66.0C for 60 min
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewer: Martin
Efficiency: 72.00 %

Ingredients
3.50kg (79.5%) Export Pilsner (1.7 SRM)
0.20kg (4.5%) Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.20kg (4.5%) Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.50kg (11.4%) Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
20g Cluster (13.8 IBUs ) Boil 60 min
20g Cluster (8.4 IBUs) Boil 20 min

Fermented with Saflager Lager W-34/70 and 3.00 g Low Carb Dry Enzyme
Fermentation temp: 15C until 2/3 of gravity has been consumed, then increase to 18C.
Lager in fridge at ~5C for 3+ weeks. (I bottle condition all my beer, I have no kegs)

About 95% cane sugar and a ton of dry enzyme will get you close.

SJW said:
About 95% cane sugar and a ton of dry enzyme will get you close.
Although I see the humor, I don't get why the joke has to be mentioned on every mega-swill thread, every time...
Just because you and I might prefer ales or other types of flavour bombs, doesn't mean that everyone else has to...

I might just re-iterate: "those that say "mash low and add 15%+ of sugar", have probably never brewed up an Aussie mega-swill clone themselves"...
In fact, brewing up one of these beers as a close clone, is probably more challenging than adding a ton of hops and going yum ;)

seehuusen said:
Taste notes from the previous batch is a distinct lack of body by comparison to the original.
I'd even go as far and boldly state, those that say "mash low and add 15%+ of sugar", have probably never brewed up an Aussie mega-swill clone themselves!

Perhaps that is just me,
It's just you............if you go and disregard every single piece of advice on this forum re: recipes for brewing a decent Aussie lager and NOT using dry enzyme, get a shit beer as a result, and then question the credibility of your sources I am unsure why you bother posting on here?

This very simple recipe got Silver at the Nat's last year (credit to Bribie G for the hard work on the recipe who also got 2nd at the Nats the year before). 12.5% sugar, mashed at 62degC for 2hrs

3.5kg Pale Malt 500g Cane Sugar 14g Magnum, 60min (24IBU), WLP833 at 12degC.

Just use your original recipe but piss off the dry enzyme. Oh and try not to shoot off your mouth when you don't know what the f*%k you are talking about.

You don't need enzyme, or even sugar to get a low finishing gravity crisp lager. Long low mash,without sugar, should comfortably finish under 1.010. Keep the original gravity on the low side and you're almost guaranteed to finish under 1.010. Big starter, fermented cold ( warm fermented lager eeeew ).

Latest posts

Back