Recipe For A Beer Like Hahn Super Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do NOT have to use any sugar to make a dry, crisp lager. In fact it can thin the beer out and leave it with a thin body and mouthfeel. I would suggest if you intend to sugar, add some carapils to put some body back in otherwise, leave the sugar out - best option.

I find Australian malt that is available to us will produce a lager with TEDS like taste. If you want Pure Blonde taste profile go with Weyermann pils. Remember that most of the majors like Hahns will no doubt be using a proprietary malt blend of some sort that is not available to us. Don't answer those who knock your attempt at this. It is so easy to make a hoppy ale and hide all the faults in bitterness and hop flavour. You've got to be 100% accurate to make a dry lager. Nowhere to hide anything that shouldn't be there and a lot to think about to get it right. You will be looking for clarity, right colour, correct carbonation, good head and head retention (hard with a dry lager) balanced malt and bitterness and just the right amount of body and mouthfeel. It should be very crisp and refreshing and completely free of faults. :)

You know it's right when it's physically impossible to just have one glass.

g'day guys, thanks for the input.

Based on the response, I'll keep my lowered sugar content at 11.4%. I will change the mash temp back to 63C, rather than 66C and increase the time to 2 hours.
As for the mouthfeel/ body, thanks labels, I'll up the cara-pils percentage for the 3rd batch, provided this one turns out thin as well (I've already bought the grains for this batch).
Fingers crossed this has a bit more body to it. I know it's not a lot in a Super Dry, but still a little more than what my first SD recipe had .

WaggaStew, I've certainly not disregarded anyone's suggestions :huh:
This time around, I'm making my own observations, based on the first recipe that I brewed up earlier. I'm not trying to do someone else's recipe, but rather come up with my own.
Dicko's grain bill confirmed my first recipe was on the right track, Bribie contributed his thoughts on the hop variety to use.
Kodos attendance to a brewing seminar with the brewer from Hahn gave me the idea of adding the drying enzyme.

Ironically, you even suggest that I should use a slightly lower sugar content (12.5%), which I've done... 11.4% :) I hope that clarifies things for you bud :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back