Recipe For A Beer Like Hahn Super Dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbrew

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know what the ingredients of a hahn super dry are????

EGADS!

Prepare yourself for a trip to the zoo based on forthcoming replies.

Not sure about ingredients but according to the website it achieves a great degree of attenuation in order to drop out residual sugars leaving it dry and supposedly 'low carb'

Therefore you might want to try a high attenuating lager yeast. I'm guessing pale malts. The Hahn premium apparently uses hersbrucker hops but I don't know what the super dry uses.

While it's not a beer I'm fond of, ignore any comments you may get suggesting you shouldn't try. It's your beer. Make whatever you want.

You could always try emailing them. Some beer companies are supportive of homebrewers

Ok for starters your gunna need 6 cats with full bladders. Might want to make sure that at least one of them is a Tom Cat for that authentic Hahn Twang and dry finish. :icon_drool2:

Or as per Sammus's recipe :icon_cheers:

p1ss in a bottle, then water it down a bit.

Seriously what bred of brewer are you? K&K, K&B, Extract and or AG? Depending on your ability you might want to stick more main stream for the moment.

Cheers

Chappo

Actually although they come from the same brewery, Hahn Super Dry is a slight cut above Tooheys extra dry but not by much. I find that a good approximation is to use a very bland kit such as Morgans Canadian Light. Then take a fairly neutral malt like BB Pilsner and do a mini mash of 2 kilos at 68 degrees to get some body. Boil for an hour with a 2 plugs of Hallertau Mittelfruh. Use 500g of either dex, or white sugar that you have inverted with some citric acid. I sort of get a sneaky feeling that half a pack of BE2 might work instead if you want to go a bit fuller bodied.

Ferment at a cool temp, around 18, with the Morgans kit yeast. It should have 514 printed on the gold packet. This is a very high attenuating yeast - Mauri 514 - I put an Old in a comp last week and it was judged a bit too attenuated. Bugger because I was looking for dry and got dryyyyyyyy so that's what you are after. If it says 'lager yeast' on the packet don't worry, it's also a fast and furious yeast, also from Mauri and gives a reasonably clean flavour. However I find that HSD and TED don't have a particularly clean flavour compared to Euro Lagers so I wouldn't bother going to the expense of buying a liquid yeast, just use the kit.

Two days before bottling make a hop tea with another plug of Hallertau and strain into brew. This will turn out grassy at first but will mellow out after about a fortnight in the bottle. Use a heap of Polyclar so you can drink it crystal clear and nearly freezing like the serve the drys at the bar.

I'll take a bottle to the case swap and torment Chappo with it and he can do a critique as well :icon_cheers:

Isn't the trick to these beers to use an enzyme to gobble up all the residual sugars?

Isn't the trick to these beers to use an enzyme to gobble up all the residual sugars?

I think so. Ideally the enzyme is put in the mash, which is why kit methods (adding dry enzyme to the fermenter) seldom make a palatable beer.

Not sure where you are located, but the Country brewer shops are doing Low Carb kits now.
You could give them a try?

If you are an AG'er

Pilsner or another very pale malt mash at 60-65degC for 30-60mins then 72-75degC for 30-60mins to dry the beer right out. If this doesn't dry it out enough for your taste then use an enzyme additive.

aim for an IBU of about 10-15 with a smooth bittering hop like Galena, horizon or Magnum

small aroma hop addition using a noble german variety - Hallertau, Herbrucker,

swiss lager yeast

Use section 1 from the BJCP guide for some more pointers.

I am planning on making some stella type beers. Some of my friends drink this style and I feel terrible paying money for them to drink it when I know I could easily make it.

Some of my friends drink this style and I feel terrible paying money for them to drink it when I know I could easily make it.

Why are you paying money for them to drink it when you don't make it? I mean sure, I let my buddies drink my homebrew, but I don't go out and buy them whatever they want if they don't like what I make...

Why are you paying money for them to drink it when you don't make it? I mean sure, I let my buddies drink my homebrew, but I don't go out and buy them whatever they want if they don't like what I make...

because I want to. If I go to a bbq and they are providing a feed and I know they would enjoy a stella or corona then it would be a bit rude to turn up with my bottles of brew and basically say 'drink this or nothing'.

In my opinion, there is no shame in enjoying a beer no matter what it is. If they like stella and corona or cooper's or VB then that is their choice and if I can help them by making some for them then I am only too glad to do it. I don't get hung up on all that 'this beer is better' rubbish.

For me it is more about having a good time, good food and good conversation, rather than forcing some beer that I think is great down their throat.

It is the same for wine and spirits.

It's called being a good host to your guests Sammus. ;)

May mates will buy me Craft or imported beer when I go to theirs for a BBQ etc even though they know I will bring and drink my own HB. Some of mates will drink my HB others would rather chew on raw tripe so I usually have a XXXX gold or alike to cater for them. I don't mind as it's a swings and round abouts affair.

Cheers

Chappo

Edit: 100% agree kirem! No one ever started a war over good manners.

It's called being a good host to your guests Sammus. ;)

May mates will buy me Craft or imported beer when I go to theirs for a BBQ etc even though they know I will bring and drink my own HB. Some of mates will drink my HB others would rather chew on raw tripe so I usually have a XXXX gold or alike to cater for them. I don't mind as it's a swings and round abouts affair.

Cheers

Chappo

Edit: 100% agree kirem! No one ever started a war over good manners.

+1 at our parties, as insisted by SWMBO. "Not everyone wants to drink your HB!"
Fair enough, however I do look for those half decent euroswills that go for $40/case.

Lets face it. Not all gets drunk, and we don't wanna be left with VB now don't we?

Lets face it. Not all gets drunk, and we don't wanna be left with VB now don't we?

i hosted a bbq a couple of months back, bought 4 cases of carlton draught because thats what everyone drinks, lets just say the next day my kegs were dry and i still have a fridge full of carlton draught, theres also crownies and hahn super dry that people have brought over and not drunk, i guess i must be doing something right!

i hosted a bbq a couple of months back, bought 4 cases of carlton draught because thats what everyone drinks, lets just say the next day my kegs were dry and i still have a fridge full of carlton draught, theres also crownies and hahn super dry that people have brought over and not drunk, i guess i must be doing something right!

Had mates leave these beers in my fridge too.......

I use them in snail traps in the veg patch!

In my opinion, there is no shame in enjoying a beer no matter what it is. If they like stella and corona or cooper's or VB then that is their choice and if I can help them by making some for them then I am only too glad to do it. I don't get hung up on all that 'this beer is better' rubbish.

For me it is more about having a good time, good food and good conversation, rather than forcing some beer that I think is great down their throat.

It is the same for wine and spirits.

Well put. My tastes are my own but I don't expect everyone to share them. I will get cranky if someone loudly sings the praises of Crown as Premium beer though.

Cranky.

Actually although they come from the same brewery, Hahn Super Dry is a slight cut above Tooheys extra dry but not by much. I find that a good approximation is to use a very bland kit such as Morgans Canadian Light. Then take a fairly neutral malt like BB Pilsner and do a mini mash of 2 kilos at 68 degrees to get some body. Boil for an hour with a 2 plugs of Hallertau Mittelfruh. Use 500g of either dex, or white sugar that you have inverted with some citric acid. I sort of get a sneaky feeling that half a pack of BE2 might work instead if you want to go a bit fuller bodied.

Ferment at a cool temp, around 18, with the Morgans kit yeast. It should have 514 printed on the gold packet. This is a very high attenuating yeast - Mauri 514 - I put an Old in a comp last week and it was judged a bit too attenuated. Bugger because I was looking for dry and got dryyyyyyyy so that's what you are after. If it says 'lager yeast' on the packet don't worry, it's also a fast and furious yeast, also from Mauri and gives a reasonably clean flavour. However I find that HSD and TED don't have a particularly clean flavour compared to Euro Lagers so I wouldn't bother going to the expense of buying a liquid yeast, just use the kit.

Two days before bottling make a hop tea with another plug of Hallertau and strain into brew. This will turn out grassy at first but will mellow out after about a fortnight in the bottle. Use a heap of Polyclar so you can drink it crystal clear and nearly freezing like the serve the drys at the bar.

I'll take a bottle to the case swap and torment Chappo with it and he can do a critique as well :icon_cheers:

Bumping the thread, I'm cleaning up my collection as my kegerator is arriving on Sunday and I've been reorganising the brewery. I came across some bottles of the above brew and they are surprisingly drinkable after three months :icon_cheers: . Chappo will be here as well so I am going to carry out my threat, saving an ice cold bottle just for you old son :icon_drunk:

All my mates are super dry fiends....so if you come up with a AG version, i will definately give it a go

Latest posts

Back