Real estate want me to remove my electric brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm lucky enough that out of the 12 units in my block only 2 own and live here, one is a deaf lady who's dad used to brew and the other is an older guy who brews kit beers in a storage room directly outside my garage. I haven't had a single complaint in a year.

BUT my lease does state that my garage is to be used for STORAGE only, if the real estate did get wind of me brewing in there i can guarantee i'd be forced to move it. I'd be going over your lease to see if something like that is in there.

To say they work for the property owner is a joke though, after 5 rental places i can safely say they are not for the owner or the tenant. Never had an inspection until i'm moving out and always weeks to get something fixed. Rental agents all have a hate on because they aren't in sales, which is where the money is that they are all after.

Sounds like a case of "You can take the real estate agent out of commission housing but you can't take the commission agent out of real estate housing?"

Holy crap man you have some crazy stuff in your photo bucket account! Like..

Wtf is that?

Still works on my computer Robbo. Not my photobucket as you may have guessed.... Try this.

So I cant be bothered reading all the posts so this may have already been suggested but try the tennent's union

http://www.tenants.org.au/

Its a free service that's funded with the interest that's earned on your bond (least that's the way it works in Vic)

Good luck

@Very supple , yeah their sparky came this morning and said it was all sweet as its a portable system, not house wired. He didn't test anything, but I can get a certificate of a mate if I need one. He was surprised they wanted it gone and hopefully he puts in a good word for me.. Haven't heard back from the real estate yet though and there not answering my calls, so I'm not sure if they will still claim a safety issue, they will probably change it to a strata issue.

Anyway I'll update on how things eventuate.
LOL...I hardly think that a TAFE qualified electrical contractor is qualified to issue a certificate of compliance on a home made electrical appliance.

FYI. The limit of your average electricians certification is limited to the BCA and AS3000. Appliances do not fall into this category and there is a national approval scheme I believe.

I am of the mind that the real estate has a case purely because your brewery has no certificate under a national or state approval scheme.

Would this mean you couldn't keep an unregistered / unroadworthy vehicle in the garage? If so, it goes to show what a joke our laws are becoming. I'll admit we live in a lucky country but maybe luck has nothing to do with it.

Burt de Ernie said:
LOL...I hardly think that a TAFE qualified electrical contractor is qualified to issue a certificate of compliance on a home made electrical appliance.

FYI. The limit of your average electricians certification is limited to the BCA and AS3000. Appliances do not fall into this category and there is a national approval scheme I believe.

I am of the mind that the real estate has a case purely because your brewery has no certificate under a national or state approval scheme.
Does this also mean a Property Manager has the qualifications/reasoning to question EVERY electrical appliance on the property? Pretty sure they graduated from blow jobs and typing...

Pretty sure they graduated from blow jobs and typing...
I agree with this....

But Let face it...there not a brewer here that wont admire your brewery but to the onlooker it may as well be a bomb.

If it were my investment I would be clamping down and restricting you as best I can within the law. Nothing against you but investment protection is first and foremost.

Lets say for some silly reason a fire breaks out, an unapproved appliance may be enough justification for an insurance company not to pay out on a policy.....just saying.

seamad said:
not mine, sounds like reasonable grounds for a trade-in :ph34r:

How many separate circuits and what amperage are they in your garage, electric rigs require a fair bit of juice ?
Respectfully ,nah scrub that,a non issue/claim ( on the agent). Has bugger all to do with the issue.
No fault,no blame,and the OP is not IMHO not at fault in any way.....
Cheers to you Seamad.

huez said:
I'm lucky enough that out of the 12 units in my block only 2 own and live here, one is a deaf lady who's dad used to brew and the other is an older guy who brews kit beers in a storage room directly outside my garage. I haven't had a single complaint in a year.

BUT my lease does state that my garage is to be used for STORAGE only, if the real estate did get wind of me brewing in there i can guarantee i'd be forced to move it. I'd be going over your lease to see if something like that is in there.

To say they work for the property owner is a joke though, after 5 rental places i can safely say they are not for the owner or the tenant. Never had an inspection until i'm moving out and always weeks to get something fixed. Rental agents all have a hate on because they aren't in sales, which is where the money is that they are all after.
Store your rig IN the lockup,but brew OUTSIDE the lock up ( take piccies) job done ,arse covered,oh and Mr Agent,what exactly is your LEGAL claim/complaint/ beef/issue with me !....please could have it in writing.....
DO NOT back down.
Yeah easy for me to say....but just saying.

Seriously, it sounds like an insurance issue. Nothing to do with the real estate agent. They just CBF with any hassle.

Body Corporate notifies owner there may be an issue with insurance due to fire hazard or whatever, owner notifies agent, agent notifies tenant.

It's all ass covering.

Burt de Ernie said:
I agree with this....But Let face it...there not a brewer here that wont admire your brewery but to the onlooker it may as well be a bomb.If it were my investment I would be clamping down and restricting you as best I can within the law. Nothing against you but investment protection is first and foremost.Lets say for some silly reason a fire breaks out, an unapproved appliance may be enough justification for an insurance company not to pay out on a policy.....just saying.
Hmm, gets to the arguement of what should or should not be tested and tagged for arse covering purposes.
The brewing rig,being a non commercial ,non business tool/ implement or device is not required by law to be tested blah blah( south Oz )and is there fore classified as a home appliance ,so covered under home and contents insurance....if contracted/paid for...etc.....

spog said:
Hmm, gets to the arguement of what should or should not be tested and tagged for arse covering purposes.
The brewing rig,being a non commercial ,non business tool/ implement or device is not required by law to be tested blah blah( south Oz )and is there fore classified as a home appliance ,so covered under home and contents insurance....if contracted/paid for...etc.....
Spog....my comments have nothing to do with testing or test tags. I agree with you that home appliance are not required to be tested and tagged which any retarded TAFE qualified sparky can do if he has completed tagging course.

My comments are in relation to a appliance approval schemes which is totally different to a test and tag situation.

See link to fair trading site
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Businesses/Product_safety/Electrical_articles/Safe_electrical_goods.page

Camo6 said:
Would this mean you couldn't keep an unregistered / unroadworthy vehicle in the garage? If so, it goes to show what a joke our laws are becoming. I'll admit we live in a lucky country but maybe luck has nothing to do with it.
Well....imagine the shit standard of Chinese electrical products that would be imported if this law wasn't around. Thank Christ someone with brains had the foresight to introduce it.

It has probably saved the life of someone you know.

Brewing beer in a garage at a block of units would breach planning laws and fire safety and the agent has a duty of care under workplace health and safety laws .Does the garage have a fire alarm that could be activated by brewing .Smoke detector can be activated and in units if fire brigade is automatically called out you get a large bill.
Move the brewery to the kitchen where its legal and treat like a meth lab and hide when inspected .

Brewing beer in a garage at a block of units would breach planning laws and fire safety and the agent has a duty of care under workplace health and safety laws .Does the garage have a fire alarm that could be activated by brewing .Smoke detector can be activated and in units if fire brigade is automatically called out you get a large bill.
Move the brewery to the kitchen where its legal and treat like a meth lab and hide when inspected .
No planning laws regulate non-commercial brewing

wynnum1 said:
Brewing beer in a garage at a block of units would breach planning laws and fire safety and the agent has a duty of care under workplace health and safety laws .
Private residence mate.....nothing to do with WH&S

Electric brewery, gas BBQ......want to hazard a guess which one will burn first?

Not private residence in the garage when inspected workplace of the person doing the inspection .Owner of building has a duty to protect the safety and amenity of residents .Brewing beer could effect other residents xxxx brewery in Milton Brisbane is protected by law from developments moving in and then complaining of the smell.

IMO, a block of flats is private residence,the private residence of the tenants .
Covered by the residential tenants act,therefore not a commercial or industrial or business concern.
I agree with HBHB comments.

Back