Quick Question About Racking.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
What is the best way to get the brew from one fermenter into the second without causing oxidation? I am looking to start doing this instead of adding finnings, plus I am looking at kegging when I can afford the initial set up.

Silicon tubing on outside of Fermenter tap down into bottom of Fermenter #2, coiled at the bottom to avoid splashing. Start up the gravitronic transfer device and Bobs your uncle.

Before you rack, make sure you know why. I do it to nearly every brew but I have good reasons and good results.

Various methods - I just run a hose from th etap of the first to the bottom of the second. Start the run slowly until the bottom fills up as you don't want to splash.

A more detailed method for racking tap to tap (probably safer for the brew) is found here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=68 (scroll to bottom)

Get silicon/plastic hose from HBS, stick hose into fermenter tap. Make sure hose end reaches the bottom of the second fermenter. Open tap, let it flow gently.

All usual rules of sanitation + I leave the clingwrap on the first fermenter on to avoid it sucking in as much oxygen as possible. Well, that's the quick thing :) yeah, you CAN lay the lid on the second fermenter during the transfer as well.

PS: I'm the slowest poster here.

Latest posts

Back