Oxygenation stone for oxygen and carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
I'm starting to come to grips with fermenting in my new(ish) unitank. I've started thinking about the best way to use it to carbonate the beer before transferring to keg. I was looking at carb stones and it got me thinking. Could I install a carb stone into a tri clover port towards the bottom, one with a ball valve on the outside. Then use it to oxygenate the beer at the start of fermentation, leave it in for fermentation, then hook up my CO2 and carbonate with the same stone? Any issues with leaving the stone in the for all fermentation? Any issues using it for both oxy and CO2? I figured I'd sanitise by boiling the stone before each use. I'm wondering if the stone will clog or if the pores will store oxygen and oxidise the finished beer when I hook up my CO2.

Couldn't you just put a blast of CO2 through the stone after oxygenating? Surely that would mean it holds CO2 rather than oxygen (if it holds anything -- I have NFI).

Can't help with the rest of the questions.

Yeah, I did think of this. Too much CO2 would scrub the oxygen but a quick burst shouldn't hurt... I think.

I'm starting to come to grips with fermenting in my new(ish) unitank. I've started thinking about the best way to use it to carbonate the beer before transferring to keg. I was looking at carb stones and it got me thinking. Could I install a carb stone into a tri clover port towards the bottom, one with a ball valve on the outside. Then use it to oxygenate the beer at the start of fermentation, leave it in for fermentation, then hook up my CO2 and carbonate with the same stone? Any issues with leaving the stone in the for all fermentation? Any issues using it for both oxy and CO2? I figured I'd sanitise by boiling the stone before each use. I'm wondering if the stone will clog or if the pores will store oxygen and oxidise the finished beer when I hook up my CO2.
CO2 is substantially "dirtier" than oxygen. I'd recommend keeping them separate, mainly because over time the particles in the CO2 gas will build up in the stone and change the flow rate, so your oxygenation rate will change over time. Also some of the particles that would build up would not be safe from an oxygen compatibility perspective. Although a small oxygen ignition inside your wort would not be too dangerous, still something more than undesirable.

Also as an opportunity for a community safety notice - keep your keg lube AWAY from your oxygen gear, along with any other oils, greases and combustibles. Oxygen gas safety is not to be taken lightly.

CO2 is substantially "dirtier" than oxygen. I'd recommend keeping them separate, mainly because over time the particles in the CO2 gas will build up in the stone and change the flow rate, so your oxygenation rate will change over time. Also some of the particles that would build up would not be safe from an oxygen compatibility perspective. Although a small oxygen ignition inside your wort would not be too dangerous, still something more than undesirable.

Also as an opportunity for a community safety notice - keep your keg lube AWAY from your oxygen gear, along with any other oils, greases and combustibles. Oxygen gas safety is not to be taken lightly.
I’ve had a few,stop mucking around and pressure brew,it’s ready in a week taste awesome,you just need a fridge big enough to put fermentation in to control temp ,you won’t go back

This is the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks for saving me from learning this myself. I guess I'll install the carb stone and then continue using and oxygen wand.

Latest posts

Back