Pump for CIP spray ball

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baron said:
Hi Guys, I am in a similar boat and looking to purchase a pump for CIP and would appreciate some advise.
I read all the above but dont think im any closer to understanding what will work best for me.

I recently made an order for the following
- ss brewtech 1/2 (64Lt) bbl conical fermenter brewmaster edition.

This comes with a 1/2" CIP spray Ball which i think Operates on 15-100PSI, 40-60PSI is recommended.

SS brewtech have a guide which recommends purchasing something like a 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump but i think i like the idea of a closed loop CIP system.

A guy posted this on homebrewtalk a while back which is kinda of what im after.

So is a Chugger-MAX-Stainless-Head-Nano-Brewery-Pump-230VAC what im after here?

I dont really want to go over $500 for a pump if i can help it.
Yeah the chugger max @ 60Hz is the go, unfortunately at 50Hz it just ain't got the balls. Someone somewhere needs to get on making a 50Hz pump for home brewing that will get it done, This would go close, and there is bigger again, check the full list on that page.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could make a closed loop system with an external sump, ie a bucket.

Pump wise, that sump pump could be all right, no temp rating tho'

This is the pump I use , good for 93 deg C. It's quality. people use these at sea.

When I get a chance I can make a video or take pics of my keg/fermenter/cube day spa..

Has anyone had any luck finding a reasonably priced pump for the SS Brewtech CIP ball?

It is hard to find a 50Hz pump that I can be sure will work acceptably.

Get one that's rated for 60hz. It will still work fine, but the syncronous speed will be ~3000RPM (assuming 2 pole) rather than ~3600 RPM. This will obviously reduce the maximum pressure, and in turn, maximum flow rate. But it's not like it's black and white; work or not work.

I'd recommend a swimming pool/spa pump. They're designed to cope with chlorine, and hence tend to be fine with CIP chemicals. They also produce high pressures which is what you're after with CIP.

Anything less than 250 watts will be a waste of your time. Spray balls need high pressure (from a home brew perspective) to do anything.

Also, I'd be very careful putting submersibles in elevated temperature CIP fluid. They normally rely on the medium for cooling, so with a hot CIP fluid you could burn out the pump or its seals. If you do burn the seals out, you then have a situation where the fluid (rather conductive thanks to the chemicals) can enter live parts. Not ideal.

klangers said:
Get one that's rated for 60hz. It will still work fine, but the syncronous speed will be ~3000RPM (assuming 2 pole) rather than ~3600 RPM. This will obviously reduce the maximum pressure, and in turn, maximum flow rate. But it's not like it's black and white; work or not work.

I'd recommend a swimming pool/spa pump. They're designed to cope with chlorine, and hence tend to be fine with CIP chemicals. They also produce high pressures which is what you're after with CIP.

Anything less than 250 watts will be a waste of your time. Spray balls need high pressure (from a home brew perspective) to do anything.
I was thinking about a spa pump for the reasons you mentioned, it occurred to me that a heated spa pump might be ideal as it would be able to maintain the temp as the liquid is recirculated.

Cheers

I purchased the one I mentioned above. Not cheap tho.
I just hooked it up to some hose and tested it for leaks.

It didn't seem to generate a great deal of pressure but that because i have excess hose hooked up and it at the moment. I assume once i trim the hose and set it up with minimal length it will be fine.

Waiting for my leg extensions and glycol to come so i can give it a trail run.

Once i test it with a brew ill put results here. Might not be for a little while however.

I'd be looking for a pool solar pump.
There about half way between a pool pump and a spa pump.

You'll probably be OK with 50 degree water in a 40 degree pump for short periods.

The real issue will only really occur at higher flows, as hotter water cavitates more easily in pump inlets. Pumps meant for hot water have different inlet geometry, typically.

Just make sure there is plenty of head on the suction side - ie the pump is very much below it's infeed tank. Also make the inlet pipework nice and generously-sized. This will keep the NPSH up in light of elevated temperatures, and consequent reduced vapour pressure.

Ferg said:
Yep, this one at $270 could work for my ball: https://www.bestpoolsupplies.com.au/product/160/Onga-Leisure-Time-1-0HP-Solar-Pump-LTP750S?gclid=CLb1j9Kw-tECFQqavAodw6wDcA#tab-details

Specs I need are 20-40psi with a flow of 20-35gpm. In pump the world outside the US that equates to 14-28 metre head @ 75-130 litres/minute.

The only caveat is the max temp of the water being 40 degrees. My hot water is usually around 50.
FIFY.

I'm confident cavitation won't be a concern. It looks like that's an appropriate pump for the nozzle specs. I would be wary of running out-of-spec hot water through it long-term, as seals can quickly ruin your day if you stray too far from the recommended figures.

TheWiggman said:
FIFY.

I'm confident cavitation won't be a concern. It looks like that's an appropriate pump for the nozzle specs. I would be wary of running out-of-spec hot water through it long-term, as seals can quickly ruin your day if you stray too far from the recommended figures.
Yeah my spray ball came from the US so that's the conversion I have to do!

Latest posts

Back