Posting competition entries by Mail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
With the comp season drawing near I thought I'd post about current costs of sending in entries by Parcel Post.

I just sent 5 to the ESB comp today. I found the best way for 5 or 6 Coopers PET style bottles is to go to your usual grog shop and pick a couple of "sixer" wine boxes. They come in various sizes and if you can get a smaller one - a whiskey box is ideal - that fits neatly in a bigger one, grab a roll of bubblewrap at the PO or a storage depot, a roll of packing tape and it's a 15 min job to do up a good sturdy double walled box.

Just as a heads up, this should come out to just under 5 kilos for a six and the postage was around $13 - which I consider quite reasonable considering how much they charge for satchels nowadays, last time I posted I think it was $11 a couple of years ago.

I'm limiting myself to 6 in the State this year so this was a useful exercise. :)

BTW Toll Ipec wanted nearly $30 :blink:

Was the box express or just regular post?

Comparing Aus Post to Toll is like comparing VB to Duvel, both are techically the same thing but not the same :p

Yes I am a freight manager :lol:

Regular parcel post - yes I appreciate that if you want ovanite then a courier would be the way to go. However with brewing comps you are planning usually a few months ahead so don't really need courier. I got an Auspost order from CB actually over night the other week, although it was in a regular pack - was quite surprised, Anthony must have got to the PO at the right time :lol: .

Edit: I seem to get stuff really quick here as Taree seems to be right on the "spine" - heck we are even getting NBN rolled out this year.

Also I'm impressed that I can now track the item and they'll send me email updates.

Post office tracking.jpg

Edit: I seem to get stuff really quick here as Taree seems to be right on the "spine" - heck we are even getting NBN rolled out this year.

LOL you must be in a different Taree to me or lucky :D Hoping for NBN very soon. I can't even get ADSL at my place. Still the beer is cold ....

:icon_offtopic:
This map shows where the work has commenced. Dark area is fibre to door, lighter area is fixed wireless. If you can't get ADSL then if you are in these areas you should be good. Old Bar misses out entirely, I expect they'll have to keep ADSL going here?

NBN Taree.jpg

Maybe you can't get ADSL as they had halted new connections in your street as NBN is now being commenced? IIRC you are in Chatham so looks promising. I might have to stock up on carrier pigeons.

Back