Competition Entries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haysie

homebrewing is the art of over analysing
Reaction score
Couple of things that interest me re. entering a competition, is the "old" lackaband a 5`er to the bottle and thats yor entry paid for. Some feedback coming out of recent Vic comps was, boxes of beer being p/up with a coupleof 5er`s etc and nobody really knew what was paid for and what wasnt. It would go without saying it is not the p/up points responsibility to collect the money, they have only committed to collecting entries, the responsibility is on the entrant.
I know Melbourne Brewers are working on an online entry payment with which you recieve a #, print it out, attach it and drop it off.

#2, why on entry forms is there questions regarding yeast, o/g, f/g ? I would be more interested in if the entry was bottle conditioned or not. I dont see much point if I know the o/g etc of 1st or 14th in the category. The recipe result booklets are probably where they belong.

What are other clubs doing across the states?

Cheers

Of providing rough guide to alc content. Seems logical to me.

Agree about the payment thing.

Of providing rough guide to alc content. Seems logical to me.

Surely, if I enter a beer in a substyle I would know that the ABV fitted the paremeters of that entry. I dont see why the information is important to log unless the entry was a placegetter ( for recipe club manuals etc). Afterall, this logged info isnt available to the judges.

Surely, if I enter a beer in a substyle I would know that the ABV fitted the paremeters of that entry. I dont see why the information is important to log unless the entry was a placegetter ( for recipe club manuals etc). Afterall, this logged info isnt available to the judges.

And how would the judges know, at the end of the day? Do they take a sample and have it analysed? Without a full test, the FG is all they would really have to go on if they did a quick Hydro check and in the case of a mild for example it could vary between 1010 and 1020. My milds finish at around 1018 as I mash high. So I could see a hypothetical situation where a brewer might sneak a lower hopped 5.2% Special Bitter into a comp as an Ordinary bitter and the 'fuller' flavour may appeal to any judges who perhaps aren't too expert on that style. Similarly with a UK Mild, which is now in the low alc class now (very restrictive because historical milds were often >5%). I could maybe see a dark low hopped but nicely malty Special Bitter being sneaked in as well and you could massage the label to read what it's supposed to read.

Thanks BG. Canberra, Western Australia?????

And how would the judges know, at the end of the day? Do they take a sample and have it analysed? Without a full test, the FG is all they would really have to go on if they did a quick Hydro check and in the case of a mild for example it could vary between 1010 and 1020. My milds finish at around 1018 as I mash high. So I could see a hypothetical situation where a brewer might sneak a lower hopped 5.2% Special Bitter into a comp as an Ordinary bitter and the 'fuller' flavour may appeal to any judges who perhaps aren't too expert on that style. Similarly with a UK Mild, which is now in the low alc class now (very restrictive because historical milds were often >5%). I could maybe see a dark low hopped but nicely malty Special Bitter being sneaked in as well and you could massage the label to read what it's supposed to read.

If people were that way inclined though they could just deliberately write the wrong OG/FG on the label.

i still dont understand whom that benefits? the label is bullshit fullstop, i tested the boundaries and didnt fill it out, am i a cheat, a sceptic, a naysayer.
None of the above, the og/fg/yeast is a total wank criteria of entry.

I'm agreeing with you Haysie. The OF/FG listing means nothing because anyone could write anything if that's what they wanted to do. Ultimately winning a beer competition through cheating means very little but Bribie was suggesting people could sneak in higher ABV beers into lower ABV categories.

I'm saying the inclusion of OG on the entry form wouldn't change that possibility one way or the other.

Old School. Why change anything huh?, the wheels not broken :ph34r:
Soldier on. Good post Manticle

Old School. Why change anything huh?, the wheels not broken :ph34r:
Soldier on. Good post Manticle

Some of it is historical.

The OG is sometimes used to rank entries in serving order with lower OG server prior to higher OG.

Not sure about the yeast, mainly for interest of those perusing the results list. Although is useful info for those wanting some idea of good yeasts to use for certain styles.

Note none of this information is given to judges, and none of it is validated. I suspect a lot of people just make it up.

Some of it is historical.
Like Brix and refractometers

The OG is sometimes used to rank entries in serving order with lower OG server prior to higher OG.
Never seen beers served and judged this way! What is the benefit of scaling?

Not sure about the yeast, mainly for interest of those perusing the results list. Although is useful info for those wanting some idea of good yeasts to use for certain styles.
Yep, Agree but in most cases it wouldnt mean jack shit if you didnt have the o/g :rolleyes: , nevertheless a starting point.

Note none of this information is given to judges, and none of it is validated. I suspect a lot of people just make it up.
Then others know that and cant be bothered with the time wasting, aka "me"

that text come out wrong sorry, its there anyhow. the stuff wrote like this
Getting back to my original post, it would be great the day we all enter via an online system be it at home or at the LHBS. The o/g f/g yeast thing is subjective. Again, if the beer has yeast/bottle conditioned vrs not would be IMO progressive information. The current information criteria is time wasting for the organisers/data entry.

canberra comp is the same.
the online form asks for sg,fg and yeast.
i dropped and smashed my hydrometer while i was doing it anyway so i had to guess some of it :unsure:

cheers,

stewart

canberra comp is the same.
the online form asks for sg,fg and yeast.
i dropped and smashed my hydrometer while i was doing it anyway so i had to guess some of it :unsure:

cheers,

stewart

:rolleyes: GoodOnya Stewart, Most homebrewing has an element of "guess" to it, most dont want to say so!!

Never seen beers served and judged this way! What is the benefit of scaling?

I haven't either, but I'd like to see it done.
As a competitor and a judge I'd see a great benefit, particularly in a style where a reasonable range of strength is allowed.
An example would be Russian Imperial Stout.
I've tasted what I consider to be excellent examples of the style that where down in the 8 range (and lower) but with great flavour and balance. There's a danger that some of the nuances of these might be lost if tasted right after a massive 12% beer.

I know that final alchohol isn't just a matter of the OG but it would certainly be a good starting point for ordering in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back