Anawbs 2007 - Call For Entries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else planning on entering via the 6 new drop off points in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth or Brisbane - you have to get them there by close of business on Monday 24/9/07
Yeah, I did that, but the guy at Rozelle turned me back because he had already packed the box (at 12:15), and then went on to tell me how useless competitions are anyway (he knows the K&Ks he does are perfect anyway). I'd love to see the drop-off scheme expanded next year.

Ended up spending more on postage than I did on entry fees. Not to mention the time I wasted getting to Rozelle, then arranging my own packaging and transport.

(he knows the K&Ks he does are perfect anyway). .

I've convinced him to do some partials & mini mash. Funnily he can't believe how much better than a K&K it turns out!!

Anyway, sorry to hear you had a drama getting your entries in. good luck

Yeah, I did that, but the guy at Rozelle turned me back because he had already packed the box (at 12:15), and then went on to tell me how useless competitions are anyway (he knows the K&Ks he does are perfect anyway). I'd love to see the drop-off scheme expanded next year.

Ended up spending more on postage than I did on entry fees. Not to mention the time I wasted getting to Rozelle, then arranging my own packaging and transport.

Well I hope my entries got in, I sent them to Rozelle with a courier on Monday and
I dont think they would have got there before 12.00. :(
Maybe I had better ring him and find out :angry:

Bugga, interstate drop zones were supposed to accept entries until close of business on Monday :angry: .

This is our first time using these drop off points, and there is bound to be some teething problems. Hopefully next year we can smooth them out.

We have a committee meeting tomorrow night, I'll bring up your problem then,. Thanks for letting us know.

Best of luck with your beers, too

awrabest, stu

Thanks, Stu. How has the response been so far? Getting many entries?

Hmm - I didn't mean for my first AHB post to be a whingy sob-story. Sorry, guys!

Thanks, Stu. How has the response been so far? Getting many entries?

The response and interest has certainly been high. How this translates to entries, we really won't know until the final closing date. Which, for those sending or delivering to home base in Adelaide, is still a few days away - Friday 28 September to be exact.

The Adelaide drop off pont: A R Black 67 Nelson St, Stepney will certainly be accepting entries until close of business on Friday.

Judged at ANAWBS on Friday and Sunday. The quality this year was great. From what I judged compared to the beers I got last year overall there was a huge improvement. Talking to other judges there seemed to be the same impression all round. I can't wait to see all the results.

We had a great selection of judges there this year too. On a rough estimate I would say we had about 70% pro brewers or QA people from breweries. The rest was made up of a couple of bjcp judges and a a few other experienced judges. Hopefully this will result in good feedback for the brewers. The stewards did an awesome job too. Always seemed to be there at the right time, hopefully some of them have a go at judging next year.

On top of this it was a good day to meet a bunch of people I didn't know previously.. Lots of good beer to be had and some of the geekiest beer conversations. The people at the pub after must have thought we were some kind of freaks. Actually they were probably right. See you all at the presentation.

Aaron, good to hear it was a great event with high quality entries & judges.

Stu, any idea when results will be posted?

Yep - was a great day....Well done to the Convenors and Committee of ANAWBS (great BBQ as well!)!

Cheers
JSB

Aaron, good to hear it was a great event with high quality entries & judges.

I dont think they are released until the presentation ceremony next Sunday :( The wait is a killer :p

Stu hinted yesterday they would be posted here as soon as everything is cleared and sorted! I think the guess was the next couple of days.

It was great fun (although tiring) stewarding both days, I can still taste APAs (salvaged about 10 unopened stubbies of entries too!). Credit to the organisers; everything seemed to go to plan... apart from the acid spill in the stewarding area. Whilst I never want to wash or polish another glass ever again, I'm much more educated from the experience!

Cheers all
Adam

Not until presentation day on Sunday 14 October, I'm afraid. I will post the winners and place getters on AHB that night and the full results will be on the ANAWBS web site shortly afer.

The overal show still has a way to go - with the wines not even being judged until later this week. It would be a trifle rude to the winemakers to post beer results before the wines have even been judged. Doubly so when you have people who enter into both competitions.

No use trying to bribe me either B) , I won't get the full results in all their detail until just before presentation day myself.

Thanks for the kind words folks. From an organiser's point of view it seemed like a good couple of days :) . A couple of minor glitches - like having to relocate the stewarding area on day two thanks to a spill of sanitising acid, and the loaves and fishes catering experience on day one thanks to a misread email!

By the numbers:

261 beers (22% up on last year) judged in
20 classes, by
22 judges drawn from BJCP, AHB and the professional brewing communities with
8 breweries represented (many thanks to Lion Nathan, Coopers, Regency Campus Brewery, Yorke Brewing, Barossa Valley Brewing, Gulf Brewery, Steam Exchange and Grumpys for providing judges)
10 (at least) serving stewards over the two days
4 people doing computer admin and data entry
2 people organising the BBQ and
countless others involved in bottle collection, sorting, data entry, and site set up in the days before.

Already working with the ANAWBS brains trust to refine and settle next year's classes, including the all important Mash Paddle. Watch this space for details in coming weeks.

Thanks to all who participated (including the very generous sponsors) - but most importantly thanks to the many brewers who took the time and trouble to enter.

awrabest, stu

A couple of pictures from the judging - courtesy of Russell's mobile.

judging1.jpgjudging2.jpg

Hopefully more images to follow.

Not until presentation day on Sunday 14 October, I'm afraid. I will post the winners and place getters on AHB that night and the full results will be on the ANAWBS web site shortly afer.
Thanks Stu, I'll just have to wait

Some more happy snaps from the judging. I'd stick to the thumbnails attached though - the actual images are quite large to download.

From right to left - JSB sticks his nose in; Chris from Coopers, Andrew from Barossa Valley Brewing and Thomas from Steam Exchange

JSB_sticks_his_nose_in.JPGChris_fom_Coopers.JPGAndrew_BVB__and_Thomas__Steam_Exchange_.JPG

Nice work Stu, looks like with the experienced line up of judges we will be getting some very useful feedback.

Cheers
Andrew

Nice work Stu, looks like with the experienced line up of judges we will be getting some very useful feedback.

Cheers
Andrew
I hope so Andrew, though sometimes the pros from the big boys can be a lttle more reticent than, say, the BJCP trained guys. A few more pictures from the album (again a bit on the large side to download)

Jayse_sticks_his_nose_in.JPGRoy__Simon__John.JPG

Left to right - 1) Jayse sticks his nose in! 2) Roy (Lion Nathan), Simon (Campus Brewery) & John (TAFE) (note the attracrive bags of malt in the background), 3) The boys at work - from the rear: jayse and Jazman, JSB and Justin (Yorke Brewing), MAH.

Attachments

• the_boys_at_work.JPG
    the_boys_at_work.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 35
Back