Sandgropers, Case, 2008, Yada Yada

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost and Found
Found one charcoal coloured kind of felty womans jacket
Found, one infra red thermometer, will return to AusDB when I have finished pointing it at things and giggling
The felty womans jacket is probably MrsAusdb's esp if it was found in the study, unfortunately it has already been missed :ph34r:
You can keep playing with the IR thermo, just make sure it is cleaned and sanitised and I don't need to know what it has pointed at :)

Highlight of the night, the turkey as fried by Corporal Sensible, under direction from the Captain. Corporal did his impersonation of a manual PID, and it took some calibration to understand the overshoot when going for max flame to bring the temperature back. 5.5 kg turkey, cooked in 45 mins, crispy on the outside, moist, tender and completely cooked on the inside.
The Corporal promises to try harder next year and will work on a self tuning algorithm for his internal PID controller but only if he gets a shiny oil proof action hero outfit to wear like the Captains.

Excellent performance by the Captain and crew, it just keeps getting better each year.
Does anyone know the outcome of the taste off between the murky ovoid object fluid and the JS Golden?
The murky ovoid object fluid we believe would fare better under Category 17: Sour Ales

On further investigation I have your blue tray, also
A rectangularish white platter
Probably another one of our lost and founds

Looks like a great session folks... although I'm a bit concerned how malnourished the turkey appears (you call that a turkey? Looks more like a chicken! Hell, we cooked up a 22 pounder between 6 of us for Thanksgiving...). Glad the US beers made it in fair shape (next US delivery will be the last, so put your orders in...), and looking forward to partaking in next years swap.

I think you could step it up with the fryer GL, and start breading stuff before frying it. That way you can do chicken fried bacon and the like. :ph34r:
Hey Ant trying to find a turkey much bigger over here is like trying to find the needle in the proverbial haystack,

We did find the best way to deep fry a Mars bar was with a light dipping in pancake batter then a coating of breadcrumbs, maybe the Captain can assign you an honorary rank next year as Fryery Sergeant to oversee this area of experimentation (and maybe a shiny oil proof action hero outfit too if your lucky).

Thanks Simon for a fantastic evening.

I don't think I left anything behind, except perhaps for the enamel from my teeth which was stripped off by the Bigfoot.

Cheers Ant for those staggering examples of brewing excess!

Simon & Fleur

Sarah & I had a hoot, thanks for your great food, tap beers & hospitality.

If someone had to bodge filling their crate up i'm glad it was me (we have devised a fool proof method for collection of bottles next year :ph34r:)

Ant

Thanks for supplying us with American nectar :D

Everyone else

Thanks for the nibblies, beers on the day & of course Case Swap Beers, See you next year!

Rob.

Yes and thankyou Ant the beers were great. I'm sure we'll all hook you up with beers when you return.

Rich

Cheers to...
Mr & Mrs GL
Mr ausdb
Mr Ant
Mr Sinkas

For....
Hosting
Food
Beers
Kegs

Enid and Tony thank you Simon, for a most enjoyable evening though Fleur probably did most of the hard work. So, thank you Fleur for all the hard work.

Also wanted to extend my thanks to Simon and Fleur for hosting a great day.

Turkey was awesome, company great and some pretty damn tasty beers too.

Many thanks also to Simon, Fleur, Ant, and the other legends who helped prepare the much appreciated fare. I think the highlight for me was Kook siding up to our group at the time with a slightly manic gleam in his eye holding a bottle of his 100% brett fermented ale. Sensational !!! A whole new experience.
It was a great day with GL's usual drill/dream on swap procedures that are always foiled by someone :lol: . Many thanks also to Roger Mellie and Simon W for the lifts !
Cheers all !
Doug
PS As per Cases suggestion a small donation will be forwarded to AHB in thanks for Ant's awesome contribution THANKS ANT :super:

Moving this post from the tasting thread to keep it clean.

Neither of these were my caseswap beer, but they were the most requested on swap day.

Non alcoholic bitter lemon

Put 15 l of tap water in a fermenter with the lid off in the sun for half a day to get rid of the chlorine.
Juice about 30 lemons and measure the volume
Put the juice in a pot
Add an equivalent volume of white sugar to the pot
Add the zest of 5 to 10 lemons to the pot
Add a few litres of dechlorinated water to the pot
Boil the sugar and juice and water and zest to taste, 5 mins works for me, brings out a lot of the zest flavour and bitterness, much longer and you get a marmelade type taste.
Dilute with the rest of the water in stages, tasting, and adjusting to taste.
Carbonate at about 200 kPa.

Simons Dark English Mild

08-Nov-2008 darker english mild

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Saturday November 08, 2008
Head Brewer: Simon Barrett (GL)
Asst Brewer: Dallas
Recipe: darker english mild

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (Kg): 8.19
Anticipated OG: 1.039 Plato: 9.66
Anticipated EBC: 44.0
Anticipated IBU: 21.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.038 Plato: 9.59
Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07

Alc by Weight: 2.70 by Volume: 3.45 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 68.0 RDF 56.6 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 86 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 38.64
Actual Points From Mash: 47.28

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.1 0.09 kg. Black Patent Malt Great Britain 1.027 1034
82.4 6.75 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 6
4.6 0.38 kg. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 108
3.7 0.30 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.033 200
4.6 0.38 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750
3.7 0.30 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 100

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 7.60 8.3 60 min.
18.00 g. Target Pellet 9.00 11.8 60 min.
20.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.40 1.3 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Unit(s)Campden tablet Other 0 Min.(mash)
0.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 45 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast west yorkshire timothy taylor

--------------------

You can't drink all day...Unless you start in the morning. -- Gary Larson

Thanks ALL for a great day.
Just about to tuck into my first of the beers today

GL - I believe I am the owner of a rectangular white plate(name on bottom) & cheese knife.

Asher

Latest posts

Back